Sign in to follow this  
UncleArkie

Imperial Raider

So looking over the x-wing minies game (we are thinking of buying either that or Armada to simulate space combat in our game) I came across the Imperial Raider, what a lovely boat :D just small enough that you can actually use it against the players, but big enough to scare the **** out of them.

Anyone seen stats for them along with the Assault Carrier? :P

Well, the armament is on Wookieepedia:

The rest should basically be off the C90 Corvette, more or less. (including the number of those cannons and turbolasers)

I'd still switch it up a bit so that they're not exactly the same, but I'd balance any increase by decreasing something else.

I think the wookieepedia author mis-read the FFG article regarding the turbolasers:

The Raider is a starship made specifically for anti-fighter warfare. Its six dual heavy laser cannons proved more accurate against snubfighters than the turbolaser batteries of its Star Destroyer cousins, and the disruptive effects of its ion cannon emplacements, along with the efficiency of its localized command, make it a powerful addition to small strike forces.

The line "more accurate against snubfighters than the turbolaser batteries of its Star Destroyer cousinsmakes it sound it doesn't carry the turbolasers that Star Destroyers do.  So I think its 6x Dual Heavy laser and X number of Ion cannons. 

I mentioned this over in an Armada thread as well, that in the new novel Lost Stars there is mention of a "twenty-gun raider" in the Imperial fleet at the battle of Jakku. (This works if there are 8 Ion cannons).  I contacted the author and she couldn't clarify further, saying that descriptions were provided by Lucasfilm, but wouldn't it be cool for this to make it into canon?

I think the wookieepedia author mis-read the FFG article regarding the turbolasers:

The Raider is a starship made specifically for anti-fighter warfare. Its six dual heavy laser cannons proved more accurate against snubfighters than the turbolaser batteries of its Star Destroyer cousins, and the disruptive effects of its ion cannon emplacements, along with the efficiency of its localized command, make it a powerful addition to small strike forces.

The line "more accurate against snubfighters than the turbolaser batteries of its Star Destroyer cousinsmakes it sound it doesn't carry the turbolasers that Star Destroyers do.  So I think its 6x Dual Heavy laser and X number of Ion cannons. 

I mentioned this over in an Armada thread as well, that in the new novel Lost Stars there is mention of a "twenty-gun raider" in the Imperial fleet at the battle of Jakku. (This works if there are 8 Ion cannons).  I contacted the author and she couldn't clarify further, saying that descriptions were provided by Lucasfilm, but wouldn't it be cool for this to make it into canon?

Anyone know the official stats from X-wing?

The Here comes the Imperial Raider article says It carries turbolasers. First sentence of the Origins of the Imperial Raider section. And a ship with no turbolasers would be pretty much useless in Armada for the same reason that the Lancer Frigates and Tartan Patrol Cruisers aren't very useful in fleet actions

There is a nice floor plan on Colonial chrome you could use for the Raider ;)

http://www.colonialchrome.co.uk/Ships/Generic/G_KDY_Vizier.htm

The Here comes the Imperial Raider article says It carries turbolasers. First sentence of the Origins of the Imperial Raider section. And a ship with no turbolasers would be pretty much useless in Armada for the same reason that the Lancer Frigates and Tartan Patrol Cruisers aren't very useful in fleet actions

I just want to add:

As it is represented in Armada, it is a (dedicated) Anti-Starfighter Ship same as the Lancer frigate. At the moment the Imperial Raider is the capital ship with the highest damage to fighters (before upgrades and titles anyhow).

Most Ships have 1or 2 Blue Dice against fighters (medium range, medium damage). The Raider has strongest Anti Ship weaponry with 2 Black dice against fighters (Short range, very high damage).

(FYI: In armada you have different die for different ranges, Short/Black - Medium/Blue - Long/Red, with Black having the highest chance to produce hits or double/critical hits.)

I just want to add:

As it is represented in Armada, it is a (dedicated) Anti-Starfighter Ship same as the Lancer frigate. At the moment the Imperial Raider is the capital ship with the highest damage to fighters (before upgrades and titles anyhow).

Most Ships have 1or 2 Blue Dice against fighters (medium range, medium damage). The Raider has strongest Anti Ship weaponry with 2 Black dice against fighters (Short range, very high damage).

(FYI: In armada you have different die for different ranges, Short/Black - Medium/Blue - Long/Red, with Black having the highest chance to produce hits or double/critical hits.)

Well EotE provides point defense rules on pg 267. Short version: Capital craft mounting anti-fighter weapons count their Sil as 1 lower when firing said weapons.

So a Raider would likely be Sil 5 (comparable to a CR90) but would count as Sil 4 when firing those laser cannons. Combined with the Short Range of the heavy laser cannons, and the Dual part likely meaning linked 1, and that's a little ship that will be a very bad day for starfighters. Not as bad as a Lancer... but still not my idea of a good time....

I just want to add:

Well EotE provides point defense rules on pg 267. Short version: Capital craft mounting anti-fighter weapons count their Sil as 1 lower when firing said weapons.

So a Raider would likely be Sil 5 (comparable to a CR90) but would count as Sil 4 when firing those laser cannons. Combined with the Short Range of the heavy laser cannons, and the Dual part likely meaning linked 1, and that's a little ship that will be a very bad day for starfighters. Not as bad as a Lancer... but still not my idea of a good time....

Note that AoR does not include those point defense rules and instead replaces them with specific gunnery actions in the vehicle combat section.

I just want to add:

I know how damage works in Armada. Ironically the short range higher damage thing is almost the opposite of  how Heavy Lasers work in the RPG where their damage output is identical to the Medium Lasers but they have a longer range.

And look at the Anti-ship dice. That's the big difference between a Lancer, or a Tartan, and a Raider. In a anti-capital ship fight Lancers and Tartans are outgunned by pretty much any capital ship their size and many smaller ones like the CR90 because they are armed purely with Anti-Fighter Weapons and lack any Turbolasers. However the Raider actually has an edge over the CR-90 in the anti-ship weapons department.

If you believe the Raiders lack Turbolasers how do you reconcile them having more Anti-Ship Firepower then a class we know to carry Turbolasers with the idea that Raiders lack Turbolasers?

Edit: And given that the CR90s have exactly as many dual Turbolaser mounts as the Raider has dual Heavy Laser mounts it obviously is not the Raider having enough additional Heavy Lasers to make up the difference in Anti-ship firepower between its Dual Heavy Lasers and the CR90's Turbolasers

Edited by RogueCorona