Sign in to follow this  
jocke01

Initiative or your fleet's objectives

I have been playing a few 300p games and I got 2 tournaments  coming up. My fleet will consist of 2 cr90 and 2 nebulons so 4 ships + 2 b-wing 1 x-wing and 1 tycho squad. I have picked Most wanted, Superior postitions and Fleet ambush. My tactics is to flank my opponents fleet and try to isolate one target to strike with my squadrons.

The list stands at either 295 or 298 points as I have what I want but I might add a veteran captain to my salvation nebulon and I'm not sure if I should try to bid for initiative or not.

It's of course very nice to activate first every round, especially when I will probably have more activations in most matches. However I will probably always have to pick objectives that dosen't help my tactic and fleet build.

So what do your guys prefer to do, bet for initiative or getting to play one of your objectives?

Right now, my go to fleet doesn't want initiative, because my objectives give me such a major advantage.

I've been playing 300 pts and going second so long, I actually get frustrated when people give me initiative.

I've started taking initiative bids just to give initiative away.

Edited by Tvayumat

I always spend the full 300 pts and never bother to bid. Happy to go first and get the first activation advantage, and pick a mission that suits me best out of the opponent's selection. Or go second and get a mission that gives me an advantage.

I would rather take the upgrades, and the opponent waste points on a bid!

With a Gladiator swarm you'd like to go first, just for that powerful double activation you get if you outnumber your opponent.

The only thing I really fear about Demolisher. Activate to close and fire on one turn, and then activate first in next turn to fire and move away before I get a single shot off.

I run a four ship Rebel build, so I'm not too worried about being out numbered, but I still don't want to give big D a double shot on my ships.

Edited by coastcityo

Agree. Against Wave 1 Imperials (ie gladiator heavy), denying them first turn is a big first step.

Against rebels or more conservative imperials, I'm pretty happy to go second, I've had some great success with some of the objectives.

In the current meta, as far as I'm concerned objectives and turn sequence do not matter. This will most decidedly change come wave two.

With that said, I prefer going first. I always use every point available, so I never waste points on a bid. My opponents usually oblige by making me go first, and I just pick whatever objective they have I think is less annoying, even tough I will usually ignore it anyway.

Just my two imperial credits.