Sign in to follow this  
VaynMaanen

Dice Etiquette - What To Do When Too Many Dice are Rolled?

I'm having this situation happen from time to time. In casual games I'm usually more lenient but in Tournaments I'm usually caught in the awkward position of arguing whether dice should be re-rolled or not.

One particular case I remember is shooting my secondary weapon, clearly stating that there was no R3 bonus, and the opponent rolled an extra green anyways. He rolled 4 evades, and when I noted him rolling an extra die, he claimed "well, even if I rolled 3 it would've have been 3 evades".

Is the standard etiquette to re-roll your dice if you roll too many? Or am I being a stickler by thinking they should?

Is there an official TO ruling on this? Or does this just come down to etiquette?

I'd like to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

I usually just go with the reroll them all route. 

Sometimes this even bites me in the butt. 

Like if he rolled four blanks, and rerolls and ends up getting 2 evades or whatever. 

Gotta stay consistent though each time it comes up. Not fair to only ask them to reroll when it would favor me. 

2 trains of thought exist on this one:

- Reroll the proper number

- Remove the "best" dice results until down to the proper number.

Your opponent clearly fell into the 2nd group. I prefer the reroll route personally because occasionally there isn't a clear "better" result (eg with Autoblaster, is a [hit] or a [crit] the "best" result to remove?).

For sheer consistency, I'd reroll them all.

I can see your opponent's point, but I disagree with the logical route to get there. If it was two blanks and two evades, I'm sure they would want to reroll them all, instead of just ditching one of the evades.

Edited by Slugrage

in case of ****-ups like this, our group leaves your fate in the hands of your opponent

so if you toss **** dice with more dice, you're ******

if you toss amazing dice with more dice, your opponent gets to force you to re-roll the proper amount :)

if you roll less dice, just roll more until you got the right amount

(pay attention to your dice before you throw them!)

Edited by ficklegreendice

Yeah reroll them all - and if you're the kind of player you want your opponent to be, let them know if they rolled too few dice, or even if they rolled too many but, as was pointed out, it worked out in your favor anyway.

I actually had this happen recently in a game with my wife - and if you think that can't get cutthroat, you've clearly never gamed competitively versus your significant other.  ;)   I took an HLC shot at her Aggressor, and she rolled 4 defense dice, because it was at range 3, and got 2 evades.  I pointed out that she didn't get the range bonus versus a secondary weapon.  She asked what to do and I told her to reroll, with 3 dice.

She did, and got 3 evades.   :rolleyes:  

Sometimes it works in your favor, sometimes it bites you in the ass, but it's the right way to play.

Mostly I find that players resolve this themselves.  Usually the extra die had no effect, or both players agree to a re-roll.

I have warned, but never had to actually enforce, that if it becomes habit for a player to roll to many dice that his opponent will choose which die to discount.

I'm with the re-roll camp. Just re-roll everything for consistency's sake, especially since it creates some odd precedent if you don't.

I also re-roll dice I didn't mean to roll yet (That is, the dice fell out of my hands before I let go), but my local play group has seen me pick up enough crits and evades to know I don't abuse this.

I'm with the re-roll camp. Just re-roll everything for consistency's sake, especially since it creates some odd precedent if you don't.

I also re-roll dice I didn't mean to roll yet (That is, the dice fell out of my hands before I let go), but my local play group has seen me pick up enough crits and evades to know I don't abuse this.

Yeah, it's usually pretty obvious when you were shaking your dice and one comes loose and goes bouncing onto the table.  I'd actually be more concerned about it landing on a hit or a crit and the player who 'rolled' it trying to claim it was legitimately rolled and should stay.  Or claiming I was stuck with one if it shook loose and landed on a blank, all "ha!  You rolled it!"

I'm interested in the point gamblertuba raised above: I think generally speaking when dice are rolled and you discover it's too few, people I've played with have generally agreed to just roll the overlooked dice and add them to the result.  I suppose, technically speaking, it would be more fair to have them pick up those dice, and roll the correct amount.

I'm trying to think of a good reason why we've never DONE it that way.

Too many = reroll with the correct amount

Too few = roll extra dice until you're at the correct amount

But why?  I'm asking seriously - I'm curious why it isn't more balanced to simply reroll the correct amount in both instances.

You don't get to keep the results you like if you rolled too many.  Why should you get to if you rolled too few but like the ones you did roll?

Edited by CrookedWookie

My favorite ship is the phantom, and for a long time (until i got the second  Core set) NEVER HAD 6 dice

So i always had to be like I rolled three dice, let me re roll one of these dice to represent the fouth dice, wait now let me use TargetLock to reroll that first dice.

or have my opponent let me use some of their dice, but that i tried to shy away from because i dont like people touching my stuff. so i assume that for all people.

But why?  I'm asking seriously - I'm curious why it isn't more balanced to simply reroll the correct amount in both instances.

You don't get to keep the results you like if you rolled too many.  Why should you get to if you rolled too few but like the ones you did roll?

If I've rolled 4 dice when I should've rolled 3, there's no fair and impartial way to determine which 3 dice "should have" been my actual roll.

If I've rolled 3 dice when I should've rolled 4, there is a perfectly fair and impartial way to determine what the fourth die "should have" been: simply roll it.

It's functionally no different than if I rolled my 4 dice one at a time, until I had all 4 results.

If I've rolled 4 dice when I should've rolled 3, there's no fair and impartial way to determine which 3 dice "should have" been my actual roll.

If I've rolled 3 dice when I should've rolled 4, there is a perfectly fair and impartial way to determine what the fourth die "should have" been: simply roll it.

It's functionally no different than if I rolled my 4 dice one at a time, until I had all 4 results.

This is my exact reasoning I use

Alright, you roll 4 dice, should have rolled 5. It doesn't matter what 4 dice those are, the 5th is still the 5th. it effects only it's own result.

Now, If you've rolled 5 dice and should have rolled 4, then which dice do you reduce? Do you remove your best? Your worst? At random? Who chooses. Hence total reroll where necessary.

Edit: Ninja'ed

Edited by DariusAPB