Sign in to follow this  
Skargoth

No Shows for FFG Prize Tournament

Repost from Organized Play, but I will get quicker results here. Sorry, drown the other thread.

Right now I'm sitting inside a game store, waiting for people to show for a tournament with an FFG prize kit. If no one shows, do I pay the fee and receive the prizes announced? I'm waiting a few minutes for anyone else to show.

PS: I'm out of town and this is not a store I know.

Repost from Organized Play, but I will get quicker results here. Sorry, drown the other thread.

Right now I'm sitting inside a game store, waiting for people to show for a tournament with an FFG prize kit. If no one shows, do I pay the fee and receive the prizes announced? I'm waiting a few minutes for anyone else to show.

PS: I'm out of town and this is not a store I know.

Pretty sure that's going to be up to the discretion of the people attempting to run the event and in all likelyhood is a "no".

It's up to the discretion of the store basically. The stores purchase the kits and they normally have either an owner/employee or someone who organizes X-Wing play running things.

There is no set way in how the game shop uses the kit. Some shops will run an individual tournament, others will have a league that runs for a predetermined number of weeks. There are all sorts of ways you see these nights run.

Well I stayed there 30 minutes after start time. No one showed. I got some promo cards (Han, Black Sq, Gold Sq). I didn't pay anything, so kind of a win. I did ask if I could pay the fee and get the prize (don't know if you don't ask), but he declined.

I spent 70 to make a cheap Poe/Han list, luckily I didn't open the boxes so refund to B&N (the store was out of Falcons and TFA Cores).

The cancelled tournament was in Poughkeepsie, NY.

X-wing events do not get promoted well enough IMO. My local shop will post on social media several times about Magic unboxing and other games, but X-wing gets barely a scribble on the white board.

I think I wanna start helping TO's organize some events. I often meet players in my area that never heard of any tournaments. I dont have a brick n mortar shop so I can't buy the kits, but I think I could get more players at tournaments to show up. I know I can.

My FLGS always has open RPG, Warhammer and hobby tables going while the matches are going- I wanna see a dedicated play area for just Xwing. Nothing that muddles the experience.

More players means more store-credit prizes!!!

If you want to have a local X-Wing tournament scene, you might have to do it yourself. Talk to your FLGS about ordering the seasonal kits and pay them for it. (They're only about $25.) Create a Facebook group with an obvious name like "[City you live in] X-Wing Players". Post your tournament announcements here, on the subreddit and the BoardGameGeek page. Run your own tournaments, but start by creating a weekly (or even more frequent) gaming night. Be patient and keep at it.

Took me about two months to go from nothing to a regular weekly group of players in this little (55k population) town.

Edited by DagobahDave

If you want to have a local X-Wing tournament scene, you might have to do it yourself. Talk to your FLGS about ordering the seasonal kits and pay them for it. (They're only about $25.) Create a Facebook group with an obvious name like "[City you live in] X-Wing Players". Post your tournament announcements here, on the subreddit and the BoardGameGeek page. Run your own tournaments, but start by creating a weekly (or even more frequent) gaming night. Be patient and keep at it.

Took me about two months to go from nothing to a regular weekly group of players in this little (55kk population) town.

This is what I did in the Central Illinois area. I created a Facebook group and just ran my first tournament on the 6th. Had 9 people on a holiday weekend. Now we just casual play every odd Sunday of every month. Slowly getting Armada going. Now that is tough.

I'm a Hudson valley player so I'm assuming you are referring to dragons den? If you live at all North of Poughkeepsie I can recommend a lot of sites with very active x wing communities. I had the exact same thing happen to me in one of my first attempts at going to a tournament. Please don't let it discourage you.

This is why I asked to get the TO thread pined here and created another in the LCG section. There is plenty of knowledge on these boards to help anyone make their tournament successful. Point them to these boards and ask that they open up to lessons learned here.

yeah it does seem like "magic' gets all the good play times..  Friday evenings tell "late" Saturdays tell "late"...  X-wing Monday night tell 8!!! Oh and that tournament we had sceduled on Saturday afternoon well we had to move it to late Sunday afternoon  because of a magic marathon... And then they wonder why nobody shows!!!  would be cool if registered gaming groups with X amount of people could get their own "kits" and run their own tournaments assuming they had a public place to play which could be part of the groups registration process to make them official?? wonder if they would at least do this for military folks as they do have places to play on base and many bases are out in the middle of nowhere with no access to a LGS..