Sign in to follow this  
Hedgehogmech

In case you missed it...

This may have been mentioned already, but I missed it so though it would be handy to point it out.

Barrel Roll

"If a player declares a barrel roll action for his ship and cannot complete the action in the desired direction, he may choose a different direction or a different action entirely."

Boost

"If a player declares a boost action for his ship and cannot complete the action using the desired direction, he may choose a different direction or a different action entirely."

So how many people (like me) assumed they knew the rules in the new rulebook already?

We'd always thought it was if you couldn't boost/barrel roll in the direction you wanted but could still boost/barrel roll in another direction, you were still locked into the action.  Only if there was no legal way for you to boost/barrel roll could you take another action.

Edited by DailyRich

So, my understanding is this:

1.  declare boost or barell-roll.  

2.  check desired maneuver.  if you cannot complete the manuever you may select another direction or a different action.  

3.  IF you check a different direction and it CAN be completed then you MUST perform that action/maneuver.  Yes??

There are many that think you can check first, then decide after.  I feel that's not right.  

So, my understanding is this:

1. declare boost or barell-roll.

2. check desired maneuver. if you cannot complete the manuever you may select another direction or a different action.

3. IF you check a different direction and it CAN be completed then you MUST perform that action/maneuver. Yes??

There are many that think you can check first, then decide after. I feel that's not right.

It's not right. It's always been part of the rules. And to clarify you don't just declare barrel roll or boost, you declare in what manner/direction. You have to declare boost straight, right or left and barrel roll right or left. After you declare the direction then you check and if you can't legally execute it then you can change direction or action.

Edit: and you are correct on 3. If you declare it and you can legally execute the action you must.

Edited by Galactic Funk