Sign in to follow this  
Astrella

How did you start playing X-wing?

When Games Workshop decided to commit suicide by biting the hand that feeds them, I was on the lookout for an excellent tactical miniature wargame, with a sci-fi element.

Enter X-Wing.

Also look at warmachine if you want something else that fits that bill.

I was playing online video games as my hobby when my cable internet went on the fritz.  I do not have a lot of selection where I am at, so I gave them a little bit of leeway to fix it to not have to go back to the only other available provider (ADSL).  I figured there was something else I could get into that isn't an online game and remembered seeing some old YouTube videos of X-Wing months before that.  I talked to my wife to see if she would be interested and we picked up a core set.  The game was fun for both of us but I got completely obsessed with it...  Internet was broken but I could still game...

And here I am.

I watched the tutorial video on YouTube a few weeks ago and was impressed by how simple and elegant the rules seemed. Bought the core set, played some games with that, and then I tried playing at my local gaming store. The people there were great about easing me into the game.

Now I'm building up a Rebel squadron.

Edited by WingedSpider

I used to play the Star Wars Miniatures game from WotC and even though Wizards had decided to give up the license and the game was out of production my local group continued to play regularly. The community had done a great job of continuing on with virtual sets, Regionals and a championship at GenCon (they are still going to this day too!). I was way into that game, had a great local group of people that played and had met people from all over the country playing SWM.

When it was finally announced that FFG had picked up the license and were going to produce X-Wing I couldn't have cared less. I had my game and I was good. Some of the guys picked up a core and some expansions and while everyone said it was pretty cool, and the ships looked great I still had my game and I wasn't buying.

Then the Kessel Run came and the Falcon and Slave 1 came out and I was starting to eye things up pretty well. A couple months later and I couldn't hold out. I grabbed a couple core sets around Christmas followed shortly thereafter with several expansions and I was completely hooked.

I am one of the younger members here, having turned 20 just this June, so I don't really have a past of wargaming. The community for any tabletop in my hometown is pretty much nonexistent, so in my earlier youth I never had any contact with tabletop games. I became interested in them in general when I was 17 or so, but the price always put me off. During that time I played DOTA 2 relatively regulary with some guys from school. With them I also started playing boardgames, where I started noticing how FFG games often appealed to me. Then I saw X-Wing and I loved it, since I grew up with Star Wars. Compared to other tabletops it was also something I could afford! I watched all videos I could find on Youtube and especially the 2013 Worlds final gripped me. When I then found out that the city where I planned to move for university had an active community it was clear for me that I had to get into the game. I bought the core set in my hometown and started playing with a friend of mine and the game was exactly what I had hoped for. Since then my collection has grown quite a bit and contains all factions, since I still like to meet up with that friend when I am back home to play some matches.

A good friend of mine showed up at my apartment with two core sets, a Falcon and a Firespray. He asked which of the big ships I liked more and gave me a core and the spray.

We sat down to play the 'noob'version and I've been hooked ever since. My collection outpaced my friend's long ago.

I grew up in the Star Wars era with the original toys and imagined may battles and played chess and then my sons friend came around to the farm with the core set and that's just inspired me and my kids, the force was just to strong.

Played/Painted Fantasy/40k ~20 years ago. Played M:TG too.

Quit miniatures/TCG for a long time.

Started playing Mage Wars (card/miniatures hybrid)in 2012 at the FLGS to collect PROMOS and saw XWING being played... Looked really cool, but I wanted them to release more ships before I took the plunge.

In 2014, I decided there were enough ships. By earlier 2015, I had spent 600 bucks.

I’ve been always a big Star Wars fan, like most people my age, but I wasn’t doing any hobby activity related to SW.

Back in 2013 I was playing W40K and FoW consistently (very lucky to have a group of friends to play on weekly basis) and our FLGS have had FFG X-Wing core and expansions on the shelves for some time already, I picked up the dusty box a few times (almost every visit) but didn’t had the intention or money to start yet another game so I always put it back.

Then the day came, I won a “best painted army” prize on a W40K tournament, it was a $30 gift card from our FLGS; it was “burning” my hands, so I had to use it quick  :P  so I went to the shelf, pick up the same dusty box and bought the X-wing Core set. The very next weekend I ran demos for my group and now most of them are hooked on X-Wing, pretty much everybody have at least one of each model.

Ah, the irony… We haven’t played W40K in probably in more than a year, it just fade away and GW had made it very easy.

Saw the core set on the shelf for a year or two and one day picked it up to read the back. Later did an internet search and read about the gameplay, then watched a few tournament matches on Youtube. This led me to search for game stores in my hometown that played and I found several. A few weeks after that I decided to buy into the game and now 2 months later I am playing at home building my skills. Sometime soon I will join an X wing night at a local game store.

Absolutely get over to your FLGS! The ability to play against a range of players (and their associated range of lists) really opens up the game...

For me, i played a lot of GW stuff back in the day from school-college ages (Rouge Trader 40k the main one (old? yep!) but many others too). Stopped playing after uni as my group of mates went their own ways...

Fast forward some (ok many) years and after un-boxing some of my old GW stuff (anyone remember squats? :) ) i started hankering after playing tabletop games again. A workmate took me to a FLGS and introduced me to x-wing. LOVE IT!!!!!

I bought a core set and one of every expansion they had in stock there and then (limit to one faction? NO!!)

I now have a frankly unnecessarily large collection, play in casual games and premier tournaments and have no plan on stopping..... :D

A long time ago....at a club I used to play at, all the star wars fans, In the group purchased a core set and all other miniature games took a back seat.

My 40k/Fantasy collection is now relegated to painting practice to improve my painting skills, till I decide what to do with it.

Getting back into Battletech again also.

I ran into an episode of TABLE TOP in December 2014. Ordered a core set from amazon in January and talked a buddy into trying it out with me. The addiction settled in quickly and I picked up two more cores and have multiples of all the ships except the huge ones. No Tantive yet. He's got the Tantive but no transport.

Usually play twice a week for a total of 12 hrs.

I used to play the Star Wars Miniatures game from WotC ...

Me too! I'm surprised there aren't more of us.

I was collecting Star Wars Miniatures and playing it on Vassal with my twin brother. We also got all the RPG books. We kept tabs on what would happen to the license after WotC gave it up. We found out FFG got it (a company we'd never heard of before) and started following the company.

The early days were hard with a very long delay for X-Wing and for the Star Wars LCG. Interestingly, I was much more interested in the LCG than in X-Wing, but thought I should at least get the first wave since I hoped bounty hunters would get put in eventually if I supported the game. Unfortunately, there was some bickering on the forums that drove me away from the game. (I was inexperienced at forums back then.) I still collected a little. When Wave II hit, I picked up the two large ships. Then I basically left the game.

Then FFG announced the Scum & Villainy faction and I got excited for X-Wing again. All my matches were kinda hollow before because I couldn't really get into the Rebel and Imperial factions. Only the wave 1 ships really called to my nostalgia, but even they couldn't keep enticed. It took the Scum of the galaxy to bring me back into this awesome game. I can't wait until I have all the bounty hunters!

The FLGS in Fargo had a store copy that my son and I tried. We thought it was "ok" but not "awesome" and didnt buy it. Then Target clearanced their cores and I bought one because the "ships were cool!" Next thing you know we started to play it occassionally since we owned it! A few months later we got caught up on the extra ships and played in the Imdaar Alpha tourney and we were hooked for good!

Edited by Plainsman

I'd seen it played and gone "Huh, cool."

I then played in a 30pt furball tournament with a PS1 Defender just to try the game out - and got top Imperial player after half our fleet evaporated on the first joust, and then managing to pull a Hard 3 instead of the expected K-turn and avoiding four sets of guns by millimeters, meaning I was one of two Imperial pilots left intact when time was called.

My wife had been watching, and noted that I should start collecting it, because she wanted to play it against me... well, I didn't need to be told twice. ;)

I've played Wings of War prior, which was an interesting system to play.  Then FFG pick-up the systems for X-Wing along with adding their improvements.  So, as a Star Wars fan I was interested and got into the game at the time when it was first released.

Im a Star Wars nut, I kept seeing these bad ass models of Star Wars ships everytime I went to hunt for Funko Pop Vinyls at Barnes and Nobles, then in February a FLGS moved in to the same building as my office, I checked it out, found out there are more bad ass ships, then finally bit the bullet bought a core....several months latter im hooked on plastic crack, I have every ship except the Transport, which im working on...now my kids are hooked on it too, my wallet hurts even more....but I freaking love this game....youre welcome FFG!

I used to play the Star Wars Miniatures game from WotC ...

Me too! I'm surprised there aren't more of us.

Here's one more.  :)

I actually started playing tabletop games with Wizards' Star Wars TCG back in 2002. From there I moved into their Miniatures game, picked up Magic somewhere along the line, but eventually the two Star Wars games died out and keeping up with Magic's Standard format became more and more of a chore.

Then a friend of mine brought over the new Core Set, A-wing and Advanced he had just purchased and asked if I was interested. I saw Maarek and Tycho on the pilot cards, and (being the biggest EU fan I've ever met in real life) that was that.

I played Star Trek: Attack Wing (STAW) for about a year - a friend got me into it.  When that game jumped the shark, I broke down and played a few games of X-Wing.  I knew all along I would like X-Wing better, but I had spent so much on STAW, that the idea of financing another miniatures game kept me from playing.  Well, as soon as I played, I realized where all the things I like about STAW came from.  It wasn't long before I had one (or more) of every ship (except the tie expansion... gotta get round to that).

I was similar. I played GW games until the prices became absurd and the community dried up. My wife and I bought both Attack Wing and X-Wing, played both for a while but drifted more toward X-Wing.

We now have every non Epic ship except the Punisher and Rebel Z-95. Loving it more and more, especially since I found this awesome forum and community.

I played Star Trek: Attack Wing (STAW) for about a year - a friend got me into it.  When that game jumped the shark, I broke down and played a few games of X-Wing.  I knew all along I would like X-Wing better, but I had spent so much on STAW, that the idea of financing another miniatures game kept me from playing.  Well, as soon as I played, I realized where all the things I like about STAW came from.  It wasn't long before I had one (or more) of every ship (except the tie expansion... gotta get round to that).

I was similar. I played GW games until the prices became absurd and the community dried up. My wife and I bought both Attack Wing and X-Wing, played both for a while but drifted more toward X-Wing.

We now have every non Epic ship except the Punisher and Rebel Z-95. Loving it more and more, especially since I found this awesome forum and community.

Oh man, you're missing out on that Z95. Blount is hilarious... even if Soontir doesn't agree. ;)