Sign in to follow this  
Cremate

Great shot kid! That was one in a million! [aka. bring Frans to Worlds]

EDIT: WE DID IT! Frans is going to Worlds. Please don't transfer any more money as the goal has been reached.

Let me tell you about Frans. He is always an impeccable opponent and a great company at our local X-Wing events. He also happens to be bloody good at playing the game and over the last couple of months he has taken home not only three Regionals, but first he won the Dutch Nationals three weeks ago before he went on to also bag the Belgian Nationals this last Saturday. He is a strong and versatile player - the latter proven by him taking several different list archetypes to victory in these tournaments rather than just sticking to familiar engines.

However, despite two National Championships, Frans will not be going to worlds, as the distributor for these Nationals (Bergsala Enigma Benelux for both of them) does not support sending the champion onward to worlds. Frans is assured a spot from FFG if he can make it, but like for most other European players the cost to travel there is preventing him from participating. We cannot have that, so starting in the Dutch X-Wing community and branching out we've started a fundraiser to get Frans to Roseville.

I know, in reality we would all want to be there ourselves, right, but both the limited spaces and the costs of travel makes that impossible for most of us; what we can, however, is for each of us to toss in a few galactic credits and any contribution is welcome regardless of size (even if in wupiupi!).

Donations can be transferred via Paypall* to fransworlds@gmail.com - let's get this double National and triple Regional Champion to Worlds!

*Our Imperial Officer in charge of finances is keeping a public list of those donating (on our Facebook page). Please add in the comments to your Paypall contribution if you would rather not be listed in public (Yes, looking at you, wealthy Sith Lords).

Edited by Cremate

Why would the distributor ever foot the bill for this? I would never expect that to happen in tabletop gaming. No real return on investment on them if they did.

I would also suggest you do a gofundme not a gmail.com paypal transfer, that is shady as all get up. I hope you get him there, but I don't think you are doing this the right way at all.

Why would the distributor ever foot the bill for this? I would never expect that to happen in tabletop gaming. No real return on investment on them if they did.

Both the UK Champion (who happens to Swedish, wait for it) and the Nordic Champion (who happened to be from the UK - see the fun?) are getting their tickets and place to stay payed by the distributor and FFG. As is both the Polish and German one I believe

Thank you for the input. Those are good points.

I'm not the one who started the fundraiser, but this thing started, as such things often do, as a sudden idea in the local community. We all know each other, including the one who suggested the fundraiser, and thus trust each other, so a simple Paypall was a familiar way of getting it started fast for the one who took the initiative. At the time it wasn't considered that we might appeal to more people to support bringing Frans to Worlds (I took that idea and ran with it).

Edited by Cremate

Both the UK Champion (who happens to Swedish, wait for it) and the Nordic Champion (who happened to be from the UK - see the fun?) are getting their tickets and place to stay payed by the distributor and FFG. As is both the Polish and German one I believe

Which happens to be the same company that does distribution in the Netherlands and Belgium, where Frans won, but unfortunately they have different stances on sending people to Worlds. Obviously we are hoping to inspire them to do the same here next year.

I believe that travel of the Spanish National is also being funded, but that the Nationals was big enough that it could be done through the tickets to their Nationals. Am I right, my Spanish brethren?

I believe that it's down to the regional distributor if they wish to pay for the flight. Luckily for us in the UK our National Champion (and Nordic Champion) get to go and represent us Brits!

I feel for Frans though as another Brit won the Nordic Nationals for Armada but they wouldn't send him as Armada isn't as big a deal as X-Wing.

However our gaming group, the 186th, raised money by approaching local gaming shops and companies that support us and with them and our own internal fundraising we've managed to cover his costs. May I suggest also trying to do that, see if any local shops will sponsor you?

Well that's the first I heard of it, I thought only FFG did that for the US nationals it was up to the distributors if they wanted to. Then yes, that sucks.

I don't think ffg buys a plane ticket for the gem con winner.

I didn't think so either, but it only made sense for Gencon to, not these other ones. Hence why I was so flabbergasted.

Thank you guys for all the great reactions.

I hope they are able to make it.  I realize it may seem a bit odd but if funds are raised but are insufficient for the trip will a refund of the donations be made back to those people who tried to help?

Our goal is to raise € 800 to finance the plane ticket. The progress on reaching this goal is updated on our Facebook page. If we don't meet our goal, all donations will be returned.

Donated too.

I played Frans once in the Zoetermeer Store Championships, my last tournament in the Netherlands (to date). My memory is really fuzzy, but I had this picture, which made me remember he gave me my only loss that day! Definitely a good player, best of luck to you Frans!

RyM2CX0.jpg