Sign in to follow this  
ObiWonka

Of X-Wings and Astromechs

I really don't like BB-8 with IA, yeah it will keep you alive for another round but it completely neuters your strategy so you won't likely accomplish much with that extra turn. 

Huh? You'd rather always die than take a 0 point upgrade that might have saved you?  I think its pretty clear that if you don't need your mod slot on your X-Wings, you should probably have IA on it, even if it means you have to pay 1 point for an astromech if you didn't have one already. 1 point/free extra health is always extremely useful.

I think that the classic X Wings are at their best when you keep them simple and stop trying to make them fill roles best left to other ships. Make them your anvil and use other ships as the hammer to crush your opponents in between them.

How does paying 1 point for an extra health hurt the XW's ability to be an anvil?

...I'm saying that I think BB-8 is much better on the T-70, I love IA and am all for paying 1 point for extra durability but I think upgrades that give boosts or barrel rolls are waisted on the classic X Wing.

I really don't like BB-8 with IA, yeah it will keep you alive for another round but it completely neuters your strategy so you won't likely accomplish much with that extra turn. 

Huh? You'd rather always die than take a 0 point upgrade that might have saved you?  I think its pretty clear that if you don't need your mod slot on your X-Wings, you should probably have IA on it, even if it means you have to pay 1 point for an astromech if you didn't have one already. 1 point/free extra health is always extremely useful.

I think that the classic X Wings are at their best when you keep them simple and stop trying to make them fill roles best left to other ships. Make them your anvil and use other ships as the hammer to crush your opponents in between them.

How does paying 1 point for an extra health hurt the XW's ability to be an anvil?

...I'm saying that I think BB-8 is much better on the T-70, I love IA and am all for paying 1 point for extra durability but I think upgrades that give boosts or barrel rolls are waisted on the classic X Wing.

It basically turns the X-Wing into a miniature version of the pre-nerf Phantom. You can only barrel roll 1, and can only bank-1 instead of hard-3, but it's deadly on a high PS pilot who can put out a lot of damage, like Wedge. 34 points for a Focus, Target Lock, -1 enemy agility AND you're shooting at PS9? You will straight-up murder people in their stupid faces.

Its biggest (only) weakness is stress. If you start out the turn stressed, the whole combo breaks.

As far as BB-8 with IA, it's insurance. You don't want to discard him, just like you don't want to discard R3A2, Tarn's R7 Astromech, or R2D2, but you also don't want to take a Direct Hit, or a Blinded Pilot when you were going to have a focused, target-locked range 1 shot. If you don't need the mod slot for anything else, then there's no reason not to take it. Discarding a 4-point astromech to potentially save your 35-point ship should be an easy choice.

It basically turns the X-Wing into a miniature version of the pre-nerf Phantom. You can only barrel roll 1, and can only bank-1 instead of hard-3, but it's deadly on a high PS pilot who can put out a lot of damage, like Wedge. 34 points for a Focus, Target Lock, -1 enemy agility AND you're shooting at PS9? You will straight-up murder people in their stupid faces.

Its biggest (only) weakness is stress. If you start out the turn stressed, the whole combo breaks.

As far as BB-8 with IA, it's insurance. You don't want to discard him, just like you don't want to discard R3A2, Tarn's R7 Astromech, or R2D2, but you also don't want to take a Direct Hit, or a Blinded Pilot when you were going to have a focused, target-locked range 1 shot. If you don't need the mod slot for anything else, then there's no reason not to take it. Discarding a 4-point astromech to potentially save your 35-point ship should be an easy choice.

I get that, but I would still much rather have bb-8 on Poe.

if you're not taking Poe, it doesn't matter who you'd rather have it on :P

(it is awesome on Poe, though, it's just that he and Wedge acomplish completely different ends on the table)

Thats true, though I don't like how crippling stress is for that build on Wedge, the R2 build is much more forgiving in that regard.

(it is awesome on Poe, though, it's just that he and Wedge acomplish completely different ends on the table)

Thats true, though I don't like how crippling stress is for that build on Wedge, the R2 build is much more forgiving in that regard.

bb8 = no stress ever

ptl after the free roll, before the green maneuver

bb8 = no stress ever

Yes unless you need to k turn, or are hit by a flechette torp or someone is using a stress bot or tactician. The T-70 build is admittedly in the same boat but it has one more green maneuver and access to boost so its movement after stressing is much less limited.

Edited by Princezilla

bb8 = no stress ever

Yes unless you need to k turn, or are hit by a flechette torp or someone is using a stress bot or tactician. The T-70 build is admittedly in the same boat but it has one more green maneuver and access to boost so its movement after stressing is much less limited.

You can control the K-turn so you hsve time to recover, no one uses Flechettes (or at least I never see them), and if you're getting hit by Tacticians and Stressbot your opponent is probably playing Panic Attack and you've got bigger issues. ;-)

Besides, this all assumes that Poe even wants BB-8. After flying him a bit, I'm convinced he doesn't. R5-P9 is honestly disgusting on him, and I can't really see myself taking anything else.

bb8 = no stress ever

You can control the K-turn so you hsve time to recover, no one uses Flechettes (or at least I never see them), and if you're getting hit by Tacticians and Stressbot your opponent is probably playing Panic Attack and you've got bigger issues. ;-)

Besides, this all assumes that Poe even wants BB-8. After flying him a bit, I'm convinced he doesn't. R5-P9 is honestly disgusting on him, and I can't really see myself taking anything else.

I much prefer him with BB-8. Its far more agressive and almost as durable. Flechettes are actually part of another X Wing build I enjoy a good bit. You pair one with the stressbot and get instant double stress without giving up your action for the next turn. Or if you are feeling particularly malicious take four or five generic ships of any type and hit one ship with all the torps on the same turn. Edited by Princezilla

Thanks for the responses. Lots of good stuff here!

i have a second layout for Wedge:

R7-T1, Outmaneuver, Integrated Astromech

I actually like the idea, on paper, of Wedge, R7-T1, and PtL. Joust with someone, boost from range 2 to 1, PtL for a Focus to go with your TL, and fire off 4 fully modified dice with -1 Agility for the defender! 

Wedge Antilles (29)

+ Engine Upgrade (4)

+ Push the Limit (3)

+ BB-8 (2)

Having played this build yesterday, I'm going to suggest something radical:

You don't need Engine Upgrade.

It was nice to have, for sure, but a lot of the time I wasn't using it. Instead, I was using BB-8/PtL to ensure I always had heavily modified shots, which meant Wedge was dealing ridiculous amounts of damage. I think that might be enough, and investing more into a second ace that can clean up after Wedge inevitably goes down (because no one in their right mind leaves that much firepower on the table for long) could be the better bet.

Thanks for the tip. As soon as I get BB-8 (and eventually IA) I look forward to trying it out!

We seem to be forgetting that by taking IA we cannot take Engine upgrade as they are both mods...

No one seems to be having any issues that I can tell. Care to elaborate?

My Porkins build would be this, since i can chain either repair to barrel roll or vice versa or one of both to a normal action.

Jek Porkins (26)
Expert Handling (2)
R5-D8 (3)
Experimental Interface (3)

Total: 34

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Neat build, if a lot of stress to shed.

Poe Dameron (31)

Predator (3)

R5-P9 (3)

Autothrusters (2)

39 points

Wedge Antilles (29)

Push the Limit (3)

BB-8 (2)

Integrated Astromech (0)

34 points

Biggs Darklighter (25)

R4-D6 (1)

Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 99 points

As fickle and I said above, Engine Upgrade can probably just be left aside, in which case you use BB-8 to help line up shots and ensure you have maximum modifiers every. Single. Time. It also leaves Wedge at a much more palatable 34 points, and frees up the modification for IA which can get you that one, crucial extra round of shooting. Use Biggs to keep Wedge alive that little bit longer, and use Poe as a flanker and late-game finisher. You even get a small initiative bid. It actually looks pretty solid to me.

That... looks... awesome! Wedge and Poe are going to be putting up hard-hitting shots while Biggs protects them. And either one is good in the late game, though Poe is especially nasty with R5-P9.

Wedge, ptl, R2 astro, and IA for 33 points. Its cheap and brutal if not particularly subtle. If you want to dodge arcs take a T-70 or an A Wing these boys are here to joust.

Certainly likable for only 1/3 of your points, but I love that last sentiment!

It's good to see the thinking caps put on again and used constructively. :)

That's the idea, that's what forums should be for! :)

Wedge Antilles (29)

+ Engine Upgrade (4)

+ Push the Limit (3)

+ BB-8 (2)

Having played this build yesterday, I'm going to suggest something radical:

You don't need Engine Upgrade.

It was nice to have, for sure, but a lot of the time I wasn't using it. Instead, I was using BB-8/PtL to ensure I always had heavily modified shots, which meant Wedge was dealing ridiculous amounts of damage. I think that might be enough, and investing more into a second ace that can clean up after Wedge inevitably goes down (because no one in their right mind leaves that much firepower on the table for long) could be the better bet.

I'm of the opinion that a ship you kill is an arc you don't have to dodge, so I buy the IA over the Engine Upgrade on this build.  You not only save 4 points, you get an extra hit point, and you get an extra action to use to kill things with instead of trying to dodge.  Wedge is pretty much perfectly set up for this approach as well.  Reasonably sturdy ship (with IA), great PS, brutal pilot ability.  Embrace the Joust!

Wedge Antilles (29)

Predator (3)

BB-8 (2)

Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (31)

Predator (3)

R2-D2 (4)

Weapons Guidance (2)

Integrated Astromech (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

R3-A2 (2)

BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Total: 100

Have fun picking target priority!

Edited by YwingAce

Wedge Antilles (29)

Predator (3) Push the Limit (3)

BB-8 (2)

Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (31)

Predator (3)

R2-D2 (4) R5-P9 (3)

Weapons Guidance (2)

Integrated Astromech (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

R3-A2 (2)

BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Proximity Mine (3)

Total: 100

Have fun picking target priority!

Made a few adjustments. The PtL/BB-8 combo on Wedge sounds super fun, allowing some arc-dodging/range control with fully modified shots (and no stress when all is said and done!).

On Poe, I'm a big fan of R5-P9. He has great synergy with Poe's desire to hold/not spend Focus, plus you're not tied to green maneuvers. While I appreciate the combination of Poe and Weapons Guidance, I personally feel it's a little expensive and will have more use with future releases.

Those changes freed up 3 points, enough for a Proximity Mine on the 'Stresshog'. With its low PS, it now has a tool with which to threaten high PS arc-dodgers.

I originally considered R5-P9, and then realized that didn't synergize at all with WG. If you're going to drop WG and R2 for P9, I'd rather get AT on Poe then Prox. mines on the Y, because the Y won't get much of a chance to use them with the Stressbot.

The Ptl/Pred is more preference I guess, but without EU, I think Wedge works better with F + Pred, as it's only marginally worse then the TL, and you don't stress yourself to get it.

Wedge Antilles (29)

Predator (3)

BB-8 (2)

Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (31)

Predator (3)

R5-P9 (3)

Autothrusters (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

R3-A2 (2)

BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Total: 99

I originally considered R5-P9, and then realized that didn't synergize at all with WG. If you're going to drop WG and R2 for P9, I'd rather get AT on Poe then Prox. mines on the Y, because the Y won't get much of a chance to use them with the Stressbot.The Ptl/Pred is more preference I guess, but without EU, I think Wedge works better with F + Pred, as it's only marginally worse then the TL, and you don't stress yourself to get it.Wedge Antilles (29)Predator (3)BB-8 (2)Integrated Astromech (0)Poe Dameron (31)Predator (3)R5-P9 (3)Autothrusters (2)Gold Squadron Pilot (18)Twin Laser Turret (6)R3-A2 (2)BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)Total: 99View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I played a game on vassal last night against that exact squad. Only difference was poe had lone wolf.

I won pretty strongly. Wedge went down quick. Gold kept shooting through rocks so I could dodge a few tlt shots. Plus it was never primary arc so no stressbot.

Will it have an action free, though? If you're pumping out 2 stress the first engagement, you'll have trouble clearing it in time to use the mine.

Ah, very good point.

YwingAce that looks like a great list. A point of initiative never hurts with a PS9 ship in the squad, either.

pred vs ptl on BB-8 is not much of a preference

ptl gets you unblockable/un-obstacle-able focus, which is absolutely crucial to an X's survival

I can understand it for the reasons stated, but if you're going to be pulling green maneuvers for BB-8 anyway, may as well shed some stress in the process, IMO.

pred vs ptl on BB-8 is not much of a preference

ptl gets you unblockable/un-obstacle-able focus, which is absolutely crucial to an X's survival

I can understand it for the reasons stated, but if you're going to be pulling green maneuvers for BB-8 anyway, may as well shed some stress in the process, IMO.

i don't get it

if you're pulling green maneuvers for bb-8, you won't have any stress to shed

free roll --> ptl focus --> green maneuver removes stress --> normal action

if you're stressed and reveal a green, bb-8's free action cannot trigger (because you're stressed)

Has anyone tired Hobbie, Experimental Interface and RT-71? If you add in Integrated Astromech you would be able to Focus, Experimental Interface to Target Lock AND boost then spend the Lock to be stress free and effectively have a hull upgrade with the IA all for 31 pts.