Sign in to follow this  
Iztac

X-WING Force Awakens Core Set, now what?

Hello all, recently bought the new core set so I could start playing with my two boys. Hoping this would be a great way to introduce them to Star Wars with the new film coming out later this year! So far so good been having a good time learning to play with the kids. What you think my next few purchase should be?

Welcome to X-Wing! If you really want to get your kids interested in Star Wars then they need to learn where it all began. I would recommend getting the original core set. After that it's really up to you! Fly whatever looks the coolest, just be sure that whenever you buy for one faction, buy something at the equivalent price in the other faction. Maybe the Millennium Falcon and Slave 1 expansion packs.

You could probably hold off on getting the Most Wanted and other Scum & Villainy ships (unless you think they're just the coolest!)

Ask them what ships they like the look of, and then work from there. If you get them the "cool" ships, then you can start providing background for them, explain who does what etc. Would work especially well if you get them a millenium falcon, and then they see it kicking butt in the movies. Wouldn't work as well for ships like the decimator.

My nine-year-old is hooked, and my four-year-old is already begging to play with "Daddy's air-panes." It's an awesome way to bond with your kids.

Like others have said, I'd say from my experience that you should get a second core set--probably the original one as it will give you more variety. Either one will give you more dice and a second set of templates. 

After that, take your time between buying items. Buy one ship for each side and play it several times to learn it well before moving on to another purchase. For me, I've bought too much, too fast, and I still haven't fully mastered the first few ships I got (much less my little guy!)

For that reason, if it's all the same to you and your kids, after another core set I would recommend you try to pick up the separate X-Wing / TIE Fighter expansion packs first (corresponding to the core set(s) you have). This gives you more ships and different pilot/upgrade cards--again, great for variety--but doesn't increase the learning curve (i.e., make you learn how yet another ship handles) while you are still learning the game.

After that, when you do buy, let the kids pick what they like. They'll be more excited to get it on the table and more inclined to put in the work to master it. X-Wing is fairly well-balanced and pretty much anything will give you a fun game.

Get a large scum ship for yourself. This way the three of you can play all at once with different factions. Ig-2000 (the Agressor, manned by IG-88) expansion even comes with a three player scenario. Large ships are as much dollar wise as two small ships, so alternatively you can buy something that is aesthetically pleasing (one for each side, rebel and imperial) for the same price.

I'd probably get a second New Core set- having that second set of dice, and the second damage deck would be very useful.

Hold off on the original Core Set for a bit- the damage deck on that one is different and not great.

However!

If your intention is to play 100 point games with your kids, you can start off with a Falcon and a Lambda a good time with smaller lists that have a few upgrades.

Otherwise: buy your favorite ship. Then play with it. And then buy your second favorite ship. Etc.

If you're the sort of nerd with enough money and several favorites, I'd recommend the Rebel Aces pack and a coue B-Wings. For the Imperials, I'd grab a couple TIE fighters and an Imperial Aces pack.

I'd also recommend the Lambda. For serious. It's amazing, takes some skill to use, and highly under rated.

I just got into the game to play with my kids also! And, what I've learned is:

The kids don't care what it is, they just want to play! We seriously just went to the store and I let them pick something that looked cool....

My five year old loves the new TIE punisher because it can drop bombs. My seven year old loves the A wing and TIE interceptor because they can boost. I just love gaming with my kids!

Hello all, recently bought the new core set so I could start playing with my two boys. Hoping this would be a great way to introduce them to Star Wars with the new film coming out later this year! So far so good been having a good time learning to play with the kids. What you think my next few purchase should be?

How old are your boys and do they watch Star Wars Rebels? If they do Wave 8 is around the corner and has some ships from that series. That could help them identify with the game a little better. If not doesn't matter at all.

Since you are just playing with them it really doesn't matter what you purchase next as every ship is a new adventure. I would suggest letting your boys in on the purchase and selection. Take them to a local shop and make a decision as a family it will only make them that much more interested if they feel invested...

Oh and by the way, Welcome to the family of Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures.

Second core set is a solid enough suggestion as posted by others, followed by whatever looks cool - with a caveat. And that caveat is that certain ships should be avoided at first, especially with younger players due either to additional rules they add, or the need to put upgrades on them to not feel they are junk. So I would avoid the HWK, the TIE Phantom and the K-Wing in your first few purchases.

Edited by GiraffeandZebra

Get the old core set, but as someone else mentioned, it's currently being reprinted with the new damage deck included (presumably) so whilst that should be at the top of your list, you may want to hang fire until the reprints hit the shelves. Having the extra dice and damage deck will be really useful and it adds Luke Skywalker, who all kids should be excited about playing as.

As others have said, a Millennium Falcon is a good bet for the Rebels, or Rebel Aces, and Slave I for the Imperials, or Imperial Aces.

Wow! thanks for all your quick feedback, I have a question about the damage deck, does each player need his own damage deck or do you share it with your opponent. This will help me decide on buying the original Core Set now or waiting for the reprint with updated damage deck.

Wow! thanks for all your quick feedback, I have a question about the damage deck, does each player need his own damage deck or do you share it with your opponent. This will help me decide on buying the original Core Set now or waiting for the reprint with updated damage deck.

You can share, only in tournaments are players required to have their own.

You can share, but in my opinion it's best for each side in a battle to have their own damage decks.

In tournament/skirmish 100/100 that just means a player gets a deck each. In epic, each side gets a deck.

Wait for a core reprint with the new deck, get that, or get a 2nd TFA - whatever you prefer.

Ultimately though. The great thing about this game is - well, what ships do you like?

What do you want to play? They are (mostly) all viable.

If you like interceptors, get a ceptor + imp aces (I reckon you'd want both) Reb aces is a good source of both a B and an A, with some great pilots.

Edited by DariusAPB

You can share, but in my opinion it's best for each side in a battle to have their own damage decks.

In tournament/skirmish 100/100 that just means a player gets a deck each. In epic, each side gets a deck.

Wait for a core reprint with the new deck, get that, or get a 2nd TFA - whatever you prefer.

Ultimately though. The great thing about this game is - well, what ships do you like?

What do you want to play? They are (mostly) all viable.

If you like interceptors, get a ceptor + imp aces (I reckon you'd want both) Reb aces is a good source of both a B and an A, with some great pilots.

I don't actually get why people think it's best in general, to emits just more clutter. I've never come close to running out in a 100 pt. game. Care to elaborate?