Sign in to follow this  

A moment of appreciation for beginning at the beginning

As we all chew on our maneuver tools waiting for Wave 2, I'd like to take a moment to appreciate being with this game from the start.

Having picked up X-Wing last year post-Decimator, pre-Scum, there was a huge catalog of ships to get my head around, to say nothing of the forum posts that were full of upgrade card abbreviations (example: PTL Squints? WtF?) and the fact that experienced players naturally referenced pilots by their first name with no mention of the ship they were flying (example: "who the @#$% is Chirpy?" I wondered at the time).  

It has been a lovely change of pace to be with Armada from the start--yes, even from those first days of saying "now how the @#$% exactly am I supposed to dent that star destroyer with this little Corvette and this other ship that has soft, creamy cheese for sides?" Figuring out how was a lot of fun. 

Wave 1 brought us more options, but still manageable--if the core set was a haiku, Wave 1 is a sonnet. How many players of later waves are really going to take the time trying to get their heads around the intricacies of flying Nebs once the new MC30c's are out, with what looks like a much easier learning curve?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Wave 2 with the rest of you but I thought I'd pause to appreciate being with this one from the start.

Very well put this makes me want to go back and play a game with just the core set again. I think with what I know now the rebels would crush.... but I'm a biased rebel player hahah. I just love my chances with a corvette a neb dodonna and luke to destroy one vic. Man your right thinking back to the 180 point days I had no idea how i was EVER going to destroy one of those things.

Lol bought everything on release day. Core. Wave one when released..... Then waited for my first game. And waited. And waited. Finally had my first game about 3 months ago. Never got to play a 180. Or a core box game. But being here, reading from day one. And the IFF podcast seems to have helped. Also playing vsd and gsd is tons of fun. Lol

Very well put this makes me want to go back and play a game with just the core set again. I think with what I know now the rebels would crush.... but I'm a biased rebel player hahah. I just love my chances with a corvette a neb dodonna and luke to destroy one vic. Man your right thinking back to the 180 point days I had no idea how i was EVER going to destroy one of those things.

I could never give up my B-wings

To be part of it from the moment the previews started...Tis a great feeling indeed. They may be plastic toys, but they thought me the value of good tactics, long-term strategy, resource management and most of all - the monumental patience tempered by the wait between expansions.

I cant get enough of this game either.  I am very competitive and hate losing but with this game its so much **** fun to play even when I lose I dont feel cheated, it just spurs me on to be better at the game.  It helps that my local community is filled with good players both in skill and attitude.

Wow, this brings back memories. I first learned about the game on a newly-found X Wing website. At the time, I thougt it looked stupid. "Look how out of scale those fighters are," I thought. Lo and behold, I haven't played a game of X wing sinc Novenber (I think). Now all of those have been sold for Imperial Assault (and I don't regret it!). Well at some point (January I think) I took to reading the back history and fell inlove with the game. Come Easter time, I sold some old games and bought Armada. It realy is a great game. (And now its the scale of the capital ships that bugs me.)

Preordered as soon as preorders were available.  I was so stoked for this game from the start...

I have loved every minute since.  It even got me to paint the first minis I have painted in my life. 

I was at GenCon when they first demo'd the game. I had trouble wrapping my head around previews before the core set was out. Just so many options. So I stayed away from the forums except to discuss my experiences with the GenCon demo.

I've played almost once a week since the game came out. Much better at theorizing now. Posted here on and off since then too. I think I'm a pretty good player, but my local group is pretty small. We get 2-4 weekly. We have 12 signed up for the pre-release. Looking forward to my first true test.

Got the core set two weeks ago as a wedding present! (Who da thunk right?) My wife and I absolutly love board games so I ordered everything from wave 1.

We haven't gotten beyond the tutorial mission because we are still getting used to the rules and using the movement tool. Honestly we are having a hard time finding enough space 3x3 to play the game :(

The models themselves is a huge factor for me to continue with this game. It's like my bored days of high school doodling fleet battles on notebook paper has come to life. I can't wait to start playing with the real rules with a 300 point game, but it's going to take some time.

(Also pre-ordered all of wave 2 because ISD duh :)  )