Sign in to follow this  
Sebastian Yorke

Why do I love Lasguns? Because of this...

So, the group for which I am a Sergeant did let me setup the regiment for them. I tried not to go with anything too much out of the ordinary in order to give them a good understanding of the setting first in a "standard Guardsman's boots". We are Cadian shock, but rolled with Line Infantry instead of Armoured Fist - again, to simplify it.

We got good-quality armour, respirators, microbeads, etc... But most importantly: upgrades for the Lasgun.

But most importantly:

Targeter (+10 on all penalities for aiming), Laser Sight (+10 single shot), Deadeye shot (+10 for called shots), underslug grenade launcher.

My Sarge also got "Get Them" and a high fellowship bonus.
And then... Overload setting.

Which means:
Single head-shots + half-turn aim at +20

Standard attack + half-turn aim at +30

Semi-auto head-shots+ half-turn aim at: +0

Semi-auto + half-turn aim at: +20

1d10+8 + 2 pen (x4 or x3 I dont recall which the ROF is)

Besides putting Kraks in the underslug launcher, which is in our plans - do you have any suggestions on how to maximize and best use our lasguns?

You realise that Called Shots negate any bonuses that would be gained for single shot, yes? Targeter also only reduces penalties by 10. That's a crucial wording to bear in mind. If you're already at a net positive, the targeter has literally no effect.

Deadeye Shot is not an upgrade, it's a Talent. I'm not sure if that was a misinterpretation on my part.

With Get Them! and Overload, you're looking at d10 + 9 pen 2, or d10 + 8. Both chew through ammo at different rates.

I would recommend taking a Merovech Pattern Assault Lasgun (See Rogue Trader if available to you). Has a full auto rate of fire for when you need to suppress, or something big just really needs to die by concentrated fire.

Keep in mind Called Shot is a full action, so you can't half action Aim or get bonuses for range or rate of fire with the action either. If you are referring to the targeter item, somebody else has to use it for a full turn to give you a benefit. Grenade launchers are nice but just increase the range at which you can throw grenades - which may or may not be useful. 

As for increasing your lethality with the lasgun, I would recommend checking out lasgun specific talents in the Core as well as Hammer of the Emperor. 

A better (housse)rule would be that a character cannot use two sights at the same time.

But I think this is actually a "legacy flaw" from GW's own d100 game, as I remember the "only one sight per gun" was already a thing there.

Edited by Lynata

So a player can combine the bonuses from two scopes - a telescopic sight and a targeter - thanks to someone else looking through theirs, but it's impossible to affix let alone use a telescopic sight and a red dot sight, because for some reason your lasgun can fit underslung grenade launchers (which are totally a thing in 40k) but no laser pointers.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

There's the Targeter weapon upgrade and then there's the Hand-Held Targeter which is used to assist weapons with the Indirect quality by the use of a half-action on the wielder's part.

I don't understand which part of that is hard to understand. One's for improving the accuracy of a longarm, the other's for guiding artillery/air strikes because it's like the laser designator used by modern military.

RTFM, please.

To be fair, it is somewhat understandable to misremember this when these items are so similar in name and the Ratling Sniper's Spotter comrade already serves as a precedent for "aim assists".

And technically, the mortar is a Heavy weapon, and thus qualifies for equipping a gun-mounted Targeter ... :D

Glad to hear it's not quite as bad as it was made to sound, though. Even if it doesn't change anything about the sight limitation silliness.

What do you call a Lasgun with a laser sight? Twin linked.

But seriously, my players were confused about me giving the sniper a Long Las instead of a regular sniper rifle. That Felling (4) is a God-Emperorsend. Especially against Orks.