Sign in to follow this  
Flrbb

Wording on "The door is closed!"?!

That event card reads: "Response: After an encounter card is revealed from the encounter deck, cancel its effects and discard it if there is a card with the same title in the victory display."

As non-native speaker I got problems with the printed condition(s):

1. you are only allowed to trigger its effects (cancel and deiscard) when the same card is allredy in the victory display

2. either way you are allowed to cancel its effects, but only discard it if there is another copy in the victory display

Which one is it?

And by the way: at the moment I cannot imagine a single situation/mission where this comes in handy?! I certainly did miss something, but what?

1 is correct. 2 cannot be correct because the card is always discarded (otherwise it just floats out there in the staging area forever).

Currently there is not much use for it, but it is part of a developing strategy where Noldor themed characters add cards to the victory display (see none return and leave no trace). You can currently use out of the wild to enable it, but that seems terrible.

In a Rossiel deck it's a nice cancellation card. And if you are running a Rossiel deck with scrying and resource acceleration like Steward of Gondor, the 3 cost Out of the wild is excellent. And fun.

Are some people missing the fact that it can cancel enemies and locations? Not just treacheries, which makes it better than Test of Will in many cases. Once you kill one hill troll in JatA you can cancel the second one if it appears.

Out of the Wild, None Return, and Leave no Trace all combo with it.

Are some people missing the fact that it can cancel enemies and locations? Not just treacheries, which makes it better than Test of Will in many cases. Once you kill one hill troll in JatA you can cancel the second one if it appears.

I'm not.

and scout ahead :P

I didn't miss that.  However, I find in mid-to-late game, usually the only effects that can really ruin my day are the wrong Treachery cards and/or Shadow effects triggering. 

I'm starting to mentally brew a Rossiel/Mirlonde secrecy lore deck. I don't think it will be tier 1, but might be a powerhouse support deck.

I've been thinking about something like that, with spirit Merry and probably Pippin instead of Mirlonde. It's going to be quite event heavy. Something like:

Allies (19):

Arwen (x2)

Quickbeam (x2)

Ithilien Lookout (x3)

Cirduin Traveller (x3)

Galadriel's Handmaiden (x3)

Warden of Healing (x3)

Galadrim Minstrel (x3)

Attachments (11):

Burning Brand (x2)

Light of Valinor (x2)

Resourceful (x3)

Hobit Pony (x2)

Events (21):

Leave no Trace (x3)

None Return (x3)

The Door is Closed (x3)

Keen as Lances (x3)

Test of Will (x3)

Out of the Wild (x3)

Daeron's Runes (x3)

This definitely needs playtesting though. The ability to flat out cancel 6 encounter deck reveals is huge, and the defense is pretty good. Attack power is lacking, but in multiplayer another player can certainly compensate. For solo, maybe swap Merry for Glorfindel with Fair and Perilous?