Sign in to follow this  
Vascopinto

AT-AT in Imperial Assault?!?

So we know that the big expansion is going to be Hoth-themed. It will include 4-player skirmish rules. This probably means larger maps. I was just watching episode V and Veers says "maximum firepower" before destroying Echo Base's shield generator with his AT-AT. There is already a "maximum firepower" card. There are lots of AT-AT's in IA's artwork. I checked a size comparison of a AT-ST and a AT-AT, and ofcourse it would be huge on a map, but seeing how FFG releases epic ships for x-wing, I really think AT-AT's in IA will be a possibility. Am I crazy?

We won't see the AT-AT in the game, unless they drastically change how the maps are done, as it would take up too much room, and would barely if ever be able to move. Not saying having one in the game would be awesome, just that unless there is some large overhaul it isn't overly feasible. My guess is if we were to see an AT-AT released by FFG it would be in either two forms.

The first is that Imperial Assault loses the board portion of it in favor for traditional battle tables where the ranges and everything would have to be converted. Though that is just my guess since they made DUST tactics have a larger version DUST warfare. The other way is as someone has already mentioned, that being an ground version of Armada where the two sides send armies and such at each other. 

Granted, if we do get the Armada type new ground game I would love it if they released snow speeders and V-wings (not the prequel ship, the airspeeder) in scale for X-wing so people could either use them there or home brew them in easily.

Besides at this point with FFG's products we can do the battle of Yavin, the battle of Endor, now we only need to get a system to do the battle of Hoth.

review_miniatat_6.jpg

Not the best picture, but the old wizard's of the coast AT-AT is more or less in scale with Imperial assault. It is 12 squares long and 6 squares wide. So I don't see that working well with the map system that we have at all.

Though if you want one and wish to home brew it into your games, you can find them on Ebay, just looked and it seems that they are at lowest going for $120 dollars for buy it now.

We won't see the AT-AT in the game, unless they drastically change how the maps are done, as it would take up too much room, and would barely if ever be able to move. Not saying having one in the game would be awesome, just that unless there is some large overhaul it isn't overly feasible. My guess is if we were to see an AT-AT released by FFG it would be in either two forms.

The first is that Imperial Assault loses the board portion of it in favor for traditional battle tables where the ranges and everything would have to be converted. Though that is just my guess since they made DUST tactics have a larger version DUST warfare. The other way is as someone has already mentioned, that being an ground version of Armada where the two sides send armies and such at each other. 

Granted, if we do get the Armada type new ground game I would love it if they released snow speeders and V-wings (not the prequel ship, the airspeeder) in scale for X-wing so people could either use them there or home brew them in easily.

Besides at this point with FFG's products we can do the battle of Yavin, the battle of Endor, now we only need to get a system to do the battle of Hoth.

Mels has 1/270 scale ground vehicles on shipways. These include AT-STs, snowspeeders, and AT-PTs. Plus at 1/270 any X-wing miniatures can be used with them.

The only way i see an AT AT in this game is as a mission specific feature like the laser in IG88's mission, or the bombardment console in the core map.

I was thinking the same thing, something along the lines of a map feature like "Avoid getting stomped" or "make it to the base before the AT-AT gets here".

The main question is: Why?

The game is based on heroes vs. villians. An AT-AT would bring an overpowered aspect into the game, which no hero could ever beat. So you have add another aspect for the heros, which is able to beat the AT-AT. So it's a win/win or lose/lose situation...

The game is based on heroes vs. villians. An AT-AT would bring an overpowered aspect into the game, which no hero could ever beat. So you have add another aspect for the heros, which is able to beat the AT-AT. So it's a win/win or lose/lose situation...

Just give them a grapple gun, a grenade, and a lightsaber.

That's the point! You need special rules to beat the AT-AT. Otherwise it must have 10 black and 5 white def. dices.

Don't get me wrong, the AT-ATs are cool, but i think they don't belong in this game. Maybe we'll have an Armada thing on STIA?

Ya'll are probably right, that AT-ATs don't belong in this game.

But...

...but...

...are they not one of the most iconic and greatest symbols of the Star Wars universe?  X-Wings, Star Destroyers, and AT-ATs.

If there's a way to make it work it would be awesome.

Just give them a grapple gun, a grenade, and a lightsaber.

Just need the grapple gun in IA. We already have a lightsaber and grenades...

Ya'll are probably right, that AT-ATs don't belong in this game.

But...

...but...

...are they not one of the most iconic and greatest symbols of the Star Wars universe?  X-Wings, Star Destroyers, and AT-ATs.

If there's a way to make it work it would be awesome.

I won't lie this question has had a few forms in the other Star Wars miniatures forums. X-wing had the are Star Destroyers too big for the game, and we ended up getting Star Wars Armada. Which to point out the developers made the point that one of the goals of building the game was to have a game with Star Destroyers in the game. And in those forums the debate about whether the Super Star Destroyer would be too big for the game or not.

I would be willing to bet at some point in time, we will get a Star Wars Armada type game for Imperial Assault where the game focuses more on squad and large scale engagements rather than elite group taking on the Empire.

yes it can be done 

you could just do the head of the at - at 

or just do a leg at a time 

or like someone said have the at - at as the map 

all it takes is a bit of creativity to incorporate the at - at into this GREAT game 

I for one welcome walkers and hope and pray FFG releases one. I have the old ERTL kit for my WEG minis. I fear that may be too small for IA. But man. It would be wicked cool despite hpw it will change the dynamic of the game.

The WOTC mini is top quality and is the right scale for IA...

I don't think one would fit in IA but it would look great and be useful for the RPG players.

if FFG did a mass combat game they could fit an AT-AT in.

IA is a re-implementation of descent, descent is getting its own rank and file miniatures wargame called runewars.if runewars is a success FFG could follow up with a similar star wars game.

An AT-AT seems more an a series of events in IA: stuff will happen over a series of rounds as it walks closer and shoots things like blowing holes in a wall, damage to heroes from splash or threat increases, and then it will show up, add a new tile to the board, and drop off troops at various points.  Maybe the heroes can fight it by using mission interacts, maybe they need to attempt to board while it's deploying its complement of soldiers or do the Luke trick.  As a guy on the board that activates and gets shot by Mak, it doesn't seem like it'd work very well.

I thought they might use like four sets of two or four Imp tokens spaced out to represent the legs and have them advance over part of the map each round causing similar events to what Victim said, shooting stuff, blowing up stuff, dropping off troops. Maybe it is a protect the generator type mission. But the best place for this was Hoth and they never did it there.. so I don't know if we will see it now. I guess a lot of Hoth happened in doors, so maybe Endor will be different. We didn't see any in ROTJ did we? But that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't there... particularly if we are fighting around the actual Imperial base instead of just where the generator is..

A mission INSIDE of an AT-AT would also be cool and be a way to include them in the game.

I thought they might use like four sets of two or four Imp tokens spaced out to represent the legs and have them advance over part of the map each round causing similar events to what Victim said, shooting stuff, blowing up stuff, dropping off troops. Maybe it is a protect the generator type mission. But the best place for this was Hoth and they never did it there.. so I don't know if we will see it now. I guess a lot of Hoth happened in doors, so maybe Endor will be different. We didn't see any in ROTJ did we? But that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't there... particularly if we are fighting around the actual Imperial base instead of just where the generator is..

I always wondered if maybe we'd just get an AT-AT leg that could step on heroes.  Kind of a silly idea, I guess, but it's the only way I see it working.  Even the AT-ST fits most maps, even if it doesn't fit well.  A full AT-AT wouldn't come close on any map.

And yeah, there's an AT-AT stomping around the array in ROTJ, but we never see it in the battle.  It's in an exposition shot before Luke and Vader go up into the DSII,