Sign in to follow this  
SpikeSpiegel

1,600 point X-Wing CARNAGE!!!!!!

Wouwwww!!!! Some ideas...

Try not to simply dogfight, you do not need to do it complicated, perhaps simply add a Main and a Secondary Objective. Rescue Satelites, control some zones of the battlefield, deploy drones in enemy,s deploy zone...

Try to organize one or two Elite flights per side (4-6 ships ) and give them a Title beyond rulesheet. Anti Huge training, Two upgrades allowed Royal Guard style, a Custom EPT to the Leader...

Very good photos. Awesome. I have played 500 pts per side in a 8' x 4', and it was ok

Great pics, especially the K wing doing a fly by of the Tie wing. I also suggest an objective in a game of this magnitude. Good grief one on one could take a week to get to. I still want to flesh out rules for a ctf idea. By far my favorite video game scenario.

Edited by LordFajubi

Thanks for the compliments guys!

It probably would've taken us another 2-3 hours for the rest of the game. It was really picking up since at least 4 or 5 ships were going down per turn.

As for objectives, we might consider adding some CTF or control points to hold down. This game we were keeping track of awards like "First Blood" and "Kingslayer" for fun.

Coming from Historical Wargaming, 6-8 hour games are the norm if using rules that simulate real combat, so an Epic battle in XWing taking the same time fits right in for me!!! I think the 60-75 minute time limits are annoying and cater completely to the tournament crowd! Rushing takes a lot of the fun out of the game!

-We used an "initiative coin" that determined which team had initiative to move and shoot on conflicting Pilot Skills. Worked out really well, I also think it would be cool to implement in standard games, but we'll need to test that out.

Did you use the initiative token that came with The Force Awakens core set?  I thought it was clever of them to add that to the new core.

Sounds like it was a blast!

-We used an "initiative coin" that determined which team had initiative to move and shoot on conflicting Pilot Skills. Worked out really well, I also think it would be cool to implement in standard games, but we'll need to test that out.

Did you use the initiative token that came with The Force Awakens core set? I thought it was clever of them to add that to the new core.

I just wish they had a Tie on the reverse side instead of another XWing! Edited by Plainsman

Did you use the initiative token that came with The Force Awakens core set?  I thought it was clever of them to add that to the new core.

Yeah, you can actually see it in the first photo! :D

But we would pass the pin over to the other side each turn so initiative would switch over turn after turn. We figured it would balance out the game's turn order for shooting and activating, which is something we would like to try in the 100 point format to see how it affects our strategies.

We just played a 400 points Epic match here. I've got to say, I much prefer X Wings in the epic format. B Wings still hit like cement trucks, but to get across the table in a timely manner or redeploy takes them a long time and results in a lot of stress.

In regards to the initiative, one of the things I don't like very much about Armada is that, if a player has initiative they can take actions with their ships that would otherwise be untenable. For instance, they can move into a dangerous position, safe in the knowledge that they can activate their ship first and move away before the enemy can react.

I think I'd prefer a randomised initiative system where players would need to hedge their bets and play it safe. But that's Armada, not X Wing.