Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Deathrain

Has FFG stepped up production quality concerning bases lately?

With the announcement of the colored bases today I was reminded of something I noticed when unboxing my wave 7 stuff: The bases were all perfect! Everything was fitting together really well, there were no airbubbles at all in the pegs. After how awefull wave 6 was for me I was pleaseantly suprised. Just to recap: Large bases in wave 5 and 6 were just horrible. We all remember how nothing fit together, it was traumatizing. Small bases were a bit better, but at least for me some of them were warped and pegs often too loose.

My wave 7 experience is of course very limited, since I only bought 3 K-Wings and 2 Punishers, nothing else, so I especially don't know where large bases stand at the moment. Has anyone made similar or contradicting experiences? Might it have something to do with FFG offering seperate bases now who they want to have a reliably good quality, thereby improving base manufacturing in general?

I thought I noticed a change in wave 7 as well.  I bought at least 1 of each of the wave 7 ships and in all cases the plastic bases looked different than previous waves.  I thought the bases were more clear with no haze or white color to them.  The pegs seemed to fit more tightly also.

Wave 7 large bases are noticeably better than the large bases of previous waves. Ships and pegs fit snugly and don't slip off the way almost all previous large base ships do. Wondering had changed for the better.

Wave 7 large bases are noticeably better than the large bases of previous waves. Ships and pegs fit snugly and don't slip off the way almost all previous large base ships do. Wondering had changed for the better.

It's really just the YT-2400 and Decimator that have that issue, at least on a near universal scale. I've never much of an issue with any other large bases.

I almost always add number tokens to every base I am using (large or small) whether I need them or not. It helps tighten things up and keeps the base token and everything in place better.

On a side note, has anyone else had issues with their T70? My ship comes off the peg way too easy, just like the aforementioned YT-2400/Decimator issue.

With the announcement of the colored bases today I was reminded of something I noticed when unboxing my wave 7 stuff: The bases were all perfect! Everything was fitting together really well, there were no airbubbles at all in the pegs. After how awefull wave 6 was for me I was pleaseantly suprised. Just to recap: Large bases in wave 5 and 6 were just horrible. We all remember how nothing fit together, it was traumatizing. Small bases were a bit better, but at least for me some of them were warped and pegs often too loose.

My wave 7 experience is of course very limited, since I only bought 3 K-Wings and 2 Punishers, nothing else, so I especially don't know where large bases stand at the moment. Has anyone made similar or contradicting experiences? Might it have something to do with FFG offering seperate bases now who they want to have a reliably good quality, thereby improving base manufacturing in general?

It can be overdone getting "horrified" and complaining about "awful" pegs with evil air bubbles inside. Really? Relax and enjoy the game ;)

]

It can be overdone getting "horrified" and complaining about "awful" pegs with evil air bubbles inside. Really? Relax and enjoy the game ;)

]

The horrification and awefullness was more from bad fit than from airbubbles. Those never bothered me much, but they were kind of the point that made me go: "Hold on, something is different here!". I needed to give the top peg of my Deci a layer of glue to make it a bit thicker so it would stay put. My Outriders base is seriously warped. My Falcon (also reprint from that time) is almost as bad as the Deci, but I haven't gotten around to doing something about it. I kind of didn't care as much since the Falcon is a pretty boring ship in this game.

There are air bubbles in some of my Wave VII and Force Awakens core set pegs, but it seems there are not as many as there were in the older sets.

I noticed that my TFA bases have a faint blue tint.

The fit is about the same (some tight, some loose, some just fine) as they've always been.

I've noticed that the Wave 7 bases are indeed better quality, no bubbles, etc. Though it also took me a few goes to figure out what was wrong with my K-wing/Punisher pegs.

The Wave 7 pegs are very slightly larger than previous, which means the wave 7 ships feel loose when placed on an old peg, and fit snugly when placed on their wave 7 peg.

It occurred to me when putting a wave 1 ship on a wave 7 peg that the cup almost cracked it was so tight.

Anyone else have the same experience?

my wave seven bases are nice and snug, but the little peg that goes into my yv-666 popped right out so either little to no glue or poor quality glue. probably a tired little old lady at the end of her 12 hour shift wanting to go home. 

It's really just the YT-2400 and Decimator that have that issue, at least on a near universal scale. I've never much of an issue with any other large bases.

I almost always add number tokens to every base I am using (large or small) whether I need them or not. It helps tighten things up and keeps the base token and everything in place better.

On a side note, has anyone else had issues with their T70? My ship comes off the peg way too easy, just like the aforementioned YT-2400/Decimator issue.

The T70 and TIE/fo both work much better with the pegs they came with.

All my wave 7 small ships are very loose on their pegs, haven't had a problem with the YV-666 however.

Interestingly enough both myself and another guy who purchased the YV-666 at our FLGS the day it came out had the female end of the post support pull out of the ship base (insert jokes here!).

His happened immediately at the game shop whereas mine happened the second time I used it at home. Easy to super glue back in.

Anyone else run into that?

I can definitely attest that the bases are different than they were long ago when I got my core sets.  they seem to be made of a clearer plastic, and I think the fit between the base and the pegs is better as well.  I still sometimes have issues with the ship / peg interface, but I do think the quality has gone up somewhat on the bases, much like the coating they put on the cardboard, they seem to have made small improvements over time to some of the components.

I am happy they will be selling bases and pegs. I hope they make epic bases and pegs available for sale as well.  I have some epic bases, but I'd like to have some that are not already spoken for to use for the large base ships, especially the decimator.

I have a bag of pegs amassed from multiple waves.  Yesterday, 7 consecutive pegs were too loose for my Kihraxz ships.   What I sincerely hope is addressed in addition to peg quality is the peg connector quality.  Far too often the connectors are not properly oriented in the ship model and after fitting it onto a base the ship is pointed 10-20 degrees off center. 

Personally, I lost my first pegs with wave 7.  I have assembled all my purchases and was happy to see them all setup.  When I was figuring out how to store them all, I stupidly picked up the Hound's Tooth by the model.  The peg slipped out and the base and pegs hit the floor.

I have hardwood and would have expected to be able to find the pegs, but they disappeared into who knows where.

So for me, the quality seems about the same.  I have noticed a consistency of clarity from Wave 3 on.  The earliest stuff is almost a little cloudy on the first round of large base ships.

Thankfully, FFG send me some new pegs when I asked.  :)

Now that I think of it, Wave 6 had one issue for me.  One of my Scyk model's post was so tight that when I tried to remove the peg, the whole post came out of the ship model.  I still haven't glued that post back in yet.

I noticed not only the wave 7 bases being clearer and fitting better that the huge ship bases for the Raider are different from the ones I got with my other huge ships.  They have a double arrow whereas the older ones have 1 arrow showing the front.  Minor thing but I do think they are working to make the bases better.