Sign in to follow this  
Talonbane Cobra

To those of you that are hatin' on star Wars Rebels

You probably only saw the first few episodes right?

They were goofy, lots of child friendly stuff, some really bad graphics choices on those wookies right?

Well... SPOILERS

Ezra get's rid of his stupid catapult, and goes on his own Jedi trial. 

I just finished up series 1 and OMG! Honestly I implore anyone that gave up on it to at least pick up the last 3 episodes of the series because if you don't think that is "proper Star Wars" then you have lost your way my friends.

Also FFG please do an aces pack with Sabine's tie fighter for the rebel faction! 

EDIT: 

Can I just say if you have watched it and still don't like it then fine, but don't post your hate on here let's let people decide for themselves. I'm just trying to say that I was right there with you at the start but i got more and more in to it and the end of season 1 was amazing. I haven't watched the start of season 2 yet either. 

Edited by Talonbane Cobra

Kid friendly?

Spoilers:

By the first episode the empire is using the corpse of a long dead jedi as bait

Also, the Rebels are using lethal force all the **** time. As do the Imperials.

Hell, further spoilers.

Inquisitor executes some guys, Minister tua is assassinated.

Not saying we are talking 40K levels of grimdark by any means, but for a kids show gets pretty dark in places.

Edited by DariusAPB

Kid friendly?

Spoilers:

By the first episode the empire is using the corpse of a long dead jedi as bait

Also, the Rebels are using lethal force all the **** time. As do the Imperials.

Hell, further spoilers.

Inquisitor executes some guys, Minister tua is assassinated.

Not saying we are talking 40K levels of grimdark by any means, but for a kids show gets pretty dark in places.

No but there are some super goofy kiddy episodes at the start and i know that put people off, not trying to start an argument i very much enjoyed it, I just want to let people that thought similar to me about the early stuff that they should really sticvk with it!

I wasn't sold on Rebels.

Saw a couple of Clone Wars episodes and megaloathed them. Bad graphics. Bad script. Just not worth any time.

But

I did see the first episode of Rebels, on YouTube, and was more 50/50 between watchable and irritating. Certainly better than the Clone Wars episodes I saw.

Yeah, Darth Vader reflects a laser bolt directly into Sabine's face. It knocks her off her feat.

Moments later, she takes off her helmet and is perfectly fine.

Mandalorian armor.

Mandalorian girl too.

The "laser" bolts have very little recoil (and therefore momentum), as evidenced by the Jedis' ability to deflect even heavy weapons laser fire with casual ease. Since the laser bolts are explained as plasma in magnetic bottles they have the mass of an equivalent volume of air :P

And this is a universe where FTL space fighters wheel around banking in a nonexistent atmopshere at the same rate and speed as WWI biplane velocities. Not to mention magic and lazer swords.

Edited by Lampyridae

Oh as for the blaster fire, I don't think they use lethal blasters, maybe lower powered or something, you mostly see the storm troopers writhing in pain rather than being dead, after they get hit. They do mention how their cell seems to be less about lethal force. Though they have clearly killed tie fighter pilots. 

I certainly could like it more if there were less slapstick humor and less Jedi stuff.

You know, in the OT, the Jedi had this mist of legend and unicity to them. In a few scenes they made use of their powers or their swords, and when they did, it mattered. It was cool, maybe because of that saying "Good, if brief, is twice as good".

With the PT, there was a Jedi & Sith overflow. They were all over the place, becoming trite. With the Clone Wars series it was even worse. I was so tired of Jedi and Sith.

When Rebels started, I was really looking forward to go back to the OT theme of agents, gunslingers and pilots, with the exceptional appearance of some scary or mysterious hidden force user or Dark Lord.

But then it started all over with the Master-Padawan, lightsaber this, training that. It was ObiWan-Anakin, Anakin-Ashoka all over again. It's so trite.

Other than that, and the evident slapstick comic relief "Chopper" is, it's not so bad.

Oh as for the blaster fire, I don't think they use lethal blasters, maybe lower powered or something, you mostly see the storm troopers writhing in pain rather than being dead, after they get hit. They do mention how their cell seems to be less about lethal force. Though they have clearly killed tie fighter pilots. 

Well, the magnetic bottle not disintegrating after it bounces into another magnetic bottle is enough of a miracle. Her pistols are probably the equivalent of .32 S&W (enough to shoot somebody over a poker table).

I wasn't sold on Rebels.

Saw a couple of Clone Wars episodes and megaloathed them. Bad graphics. Bad script. Just not worth any time.

But

I did see the first episode of Rebels, on YouTube, and was more 50/50 between watchable and irritating. Certainly better than the Clone Wars episodes I saw.

I felt the same way about both Rebels and TCW, but TCW really turned it up to 11 in the later seasons. Anakin became a believable character, the clones actually had some depth to them with some even questioning how they are used as cannon fodder without free will, while others became true patriots to the ideals of the Republic! So many issues that the prequel trilogy had were cleared up, it actually saved that era for me.

I expect great things from Rebels because of this, and the first episode of season 2 already delivered some.

I wasn't sold on Rebels.

But

I felt the same way about both Rebels and TCW, but TCW really turned it up to 11 in the later seasons. Anakin became a believable character, the clones actually had some depth to them with some even questioning how they are used as cannon fodder without free will, while others became true patriots to the ideals of the Republic! So many issues that the prequel trilogy had were cleared up, it actually saved that era for me.

I expect great things from Rebels because of this, and the first episode of season 2 already delivered some.

Clone Wars season 6!

*mic drop*

In terms of "Is it cannon that Zeb hung upside-down out of a tie fighter controlling it with his feet while grabbing Ezra and pulling him inside"

Well the way I see it is that it's telling me a story of what happened and the specific details are cartoonified for the kids and they don't really matter in terms of canon, so it's fun but the Star Wars story is still being told.

Edited by Talonbane Cobra

Haters are going to hate.  I'm about done with trying to talk to them. I think people are so curled into a tight ball of defensiveness since Ep 1-3.  They just need to relax and just enjoy any new Star Wars stuff that comes out....because it's new Star Wars stuff!

I certainly could like it more if there were less slapstick humor and less Jedi stuff.

You know, in the OT, the Jedi had this mist of legend and unicity to them. In a few scenes they made use of their powers or their swords, and when they did, it mattered. It was cool, maybe because of that saying "Good, if brief, is twice as good".

With the PT, there was a Jedi & Sith overflow. They were all over the place, becoming trite. With the Clone Wars series it was even worse. I was so tired of Jedi and Sith.

When Rebels started, I was really looking forward to go back to the OT theme of agents, gunslingers and pilots, with the exceptional appearance of some scary or mysterious hidden force user or Dark Lord.

But then it started all over with the Master-Padawan, lightsaber this, training that. It was ObiWan-Anakin, Anakin-Ashoka all over again. It's so trite.

Other than that, and the evident slapstick comic relief "Chopper" is, it's not so bad.

Wouldn't agree on TCW there. Jedi had something to them there. Some fell to the dark side (in a believeable fashion that is!), some were slaughtered by battle droids (I think that was in the Ryloth episode - really dark and probably the first time were those droids felt frightening, while Jedi for once weren't invincible super heroes), others left the order because they felt it had lost its way - as it of course did. Also wouldn't make much sense to not feature a lot of Jedi in a war were they were one of the driving forces.

Now for Rebels - Yeah those parts are a bit on the weak side, but they aren't the focus of the show too often. In the episode were Ezra faced his trial it was actually pretty well executed. I am looking forward to them getting more involved with the military side of the Rebellion. I can definitly understand being turned of by that, though.

In terms of "Is it cannon that Zeb hung upside-down out of a tie fighter controlling it with his feet while grabbing Ezra and pulling him inside"

Well the way I see it is that it's telling me a story of what happened and the specific details are cartoonified for the kids and they don't really matter in terms of canon, so it's fun but the Star Wars story is still being told.

Zeb, being an alien, might be just dextrous enough to do that, but yeah, silly kid moment mixed in with lots and lots of dark stuff.