Sign in to follow this  
Sideslip

Why play only one faction?

I would say I stick to one faction for the lore. I am a big fan of the X-Wing novels and comics, and love fielding pilots like Tycho, Wedge, etc. This is the first mini game I have ever played, so I wouldn't say that I am holding over playing one faction from another game.

Some might play a single faction for several reasons. Let's consider some below:

2) Practice - There could be some that only play one so they can be extremely familiar with it for tournaments

These players lose to the ones who play everything. The latter type knows his opponent's capabilities better than the former.

I agree

However, practice flying your tournament list against each archetype in other factions is arguably more beneficial than practice flying lists made of each archetype from opposing factions that you wont be yourself flying in the tournament. So if cost or time is a factor, the former is the better choice and that fits nicely with owning just a single faction.

Edited by Scojo

I prefer to stay clean and keep from being soiled by scum in all its forms.

We did "procure" some dirty rebel ships for training purposes however.  We wouldnt want our highly skilled glorious pilots shooting each other down on a constant basis.

We have avoided the stupid pirate ships thus far due to cutbacks in funding for the imperial commando corps.  Once the Imperial economy is back on its proper footing commandos will be dispatched to "procure" me some of these ships as well.

I primarily play Imperial, but don't really cotton to the whole "Rebels are the real terrorists" shtick. I own at least one of every ship released thus far (still waiting on the new core sets to show up at one of my FLGS, technically), and multiples when it makes sense (either due to upgrades or wanting to double up in a list).

Echoing an earlier comment, I don't have the time to play as much as I would like, and have a fairly large set of lists that I'd like to try out, but don't have time to actually get on a table before the meta moves out from underneath me. I'd rather become proficient with a smaller set of ships than bounce around between a wider array (I'm a tournament player at heart).

A non-trivial amount of the reason that I've not gotten into Rebel lists yet are due to there being too **** many unique pilots and upgrades; astromechs in particular are too numerous to get a handle one (for some reason a lot of the Imperial uniques are easier for me to write off as uninteresting). I think that it's the combo-y nature of the Rebel abilities.

I don't have any scum ships. I have to stick to a gaming budget and my XWing collection is designed for casual play at home with my kids. 

Do I feel I am missing out on what X Wing has to offer? You bet. But that's due to money and time factors rather than lack of interest.

PS: Wherefore art thou, Starviper? Soontir needs a real Autothruster and not a proxy!

I play all factions, and generally whichever lists within a given faction that feel the most thematic to me.  As a guy that's only been playing for lees than a year, I accept that this approach is steepening my learning curve.  I got into X-Wing after liquidated a $10,000 US Magic collection, so the cost of collecting at least one of each, and multiple of most ships, isn't such a concern for me.  Especially because buying ships doesn't feel like such a pathology in the way that buying boosters did (took a class on clinical terminology of addiction and it became clear that I had an actual problem).

But the fact is I play with my heart more than my head - I play lists that seem like they might've come right off the silver screen, and I alternate between them to keep my love of Star Wars in general fresh.  I also tend to reject much of the Expanded Universe content, confining myself largely to ships, characters, and combinations thereof that seem like they could have come from the films, the Timothy Zahn novels, the TIE Fighter flight sim, and/or Shadows of the Empire.  Obviously, this limits my options considerably, but does make Scum particularly attractive because there's actually less lore limiting them in the sources I recognize.

So yeah - ultimately I'm holding myself back in terms of tournament results in the interest of promoting thematic integrity in as many of my games as possible.  That's just how I get down.

Some might play a single faction for several reasons. Let's consider some below:

2) Practice - There could be some that only play one so they can be extremely familiar with it for tournaments

These players lose to the ones who play everything. The latter type knows his opponent's capabilities better than the former.

I agree

However, practice flying your tournament list against each archetype in other factions is arguably more beneficial than practice flying lists made of each archetype from opposing factions that you wont be yourself flying in the tournament. So if cost or time is a factor, the former is the better choice and that fits nicely with owning just a single faction.

I agree with you in the short term. In the run-up to a big tournament, becoming extremely familiar with your list is probably the best use of your time. It helps with your openings and formations, and it gets you past the stupid "I forgot I had predator" moments. In the general sense, however, using different archetypes makes you a better X-wing player. Time permitting, there is no reason you can't have both.

I primarily play Imperial, but don't really cotton to the whole "Rebels are the real terrorists" shtick.

I'm seeing a lot of that both within this thread and throughout the forums generally. There is some serious revisionist history going on here. I have seen the documentary, and the Empire definitely destroyed Alderaan simply to make a point.

A combination of lack of time and dislike for me.

I dislike the aesthetics of some of the best Imperial ships (Decimator and Phantom) so no Empire for me.

I like some Rebel ships (yt-2400 and the upcomimg Ghost) but my play time is limited. I already have a few Scum lists I wish I could fly more. Adding a few Rebel lists to that wouldn't help.

I primarily play Imperial, but don't really cotton to the whole "Rebels are the real terrorists" shtick.

I'm seeing a lot of that both within this thread and throughout the forums generally. There is some serious revisionist history going on here. I have seen the documentary, and the Empire definitely destroyed Alderaan simply to make a point.

Revisionist?  Revisionist would be saying the Emperor was still alive and waiting for his triumphant return to the throne.  Revisionist would be claiming that the Death Star never existed.  Revisionist would be claiming the "Alliance" destroyed Aldaraan (and a case could be made for that with Leia's hesitancy to give up the terrorist leadership.)  But none of these claims are made

We did destroy Aldaraan...and in all honesty I can say I stand behind that decision.  A point had to be made period...The princess lied and Aldaraan was too stupid to have its own weapons with which to defend itself (not that it would have mattered...the Imperial Navy had it under control.)  Hearing them say they fight for "democracy" is super duper funny when they exist under a monarchy themselves...one in which plumb galactic positions are handed out to members of the royal family.  They were liberated from their King...shame they couldnt join the empire afterwards but thems the breaks.  They weren't as "free" as so many want to believe.

From our perspective and using the modern common usage of the word terrorist by governments it makes complete sense to use that term.  They are fighting low level cowardly engagements trying to kill as many imperial citizens as possible before they run to hyperspace with their tails between their legs like the dogs they are.  Their ideology is a scam...the republic was rotten from within, disorganizied, and corrupt.  The Alliance wants to return us to those days.  I for one will not stand for it...and neither will the 72nd stormtrooper corps.

LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!

LONG LIVE PALPATINE!

DOWN WITH THE TRAITOROUS MOTHMA AND HER BAND OF TERRORISTS!

EDIT to add:  That "documentary" you saw was nothing but a propaganda video put together by "Lucas," mothma's head of propaganda.  A man known mainly for his inability to make any decent movie in more than 30 years.  I would suggest you find a less "terrorist-centric" version of the story.  Might I recommend the TIE Fighter video game?

Edited by ShakeZoola72

Yeah, that. :/

Freedom fighters aren't terrorists. Terrorists purposefully target civilian populations with the intent of achieving political goals through use of fear (typically "do what we say, or we'll do it again"). I don't recall the Rebel Alliance ever doing that (certainly not in the movies, I don't really keep up on the EU). Note that the possible presence of civilians on the Death Stars isn't relevant, since the purpose of the missions against them was to deprive the Empire of the use of military hardware, not any second-order psychological effects.

I also fly some scum lists on occasion. I like Guri.

Yeah, that. :/

Freedom fighters aren't terrorists. Terrorists purposefully target civilian populations with the intent of achieving political goals through use of fear (typically "do what we say, or we'll do it again"). I don't recall the Rebel Alliance ever doing that (certainly not in the movies, I don't really keep up on the EU). Note that the possible presence of civilians on the Death Stars isn't relevant, since the purpose of the missions against them was to deprive the Empire of the use of military hardware, not any second-order psychological effects.

I also fly some scum lists on occasion. I like Guri.

Yeah that.  :/

Problem is you are basing your outlook soley on the propaganda films produced by a terrible propagandist.  By not keeping up on the EU I can safely assume your knowledge doesnt extend beyond the Alliance Propaganda.  So of course you didnt see what horrors the Alliance was afflicting on peaceful civilian worlds.  Look at how they enslaved the Ewoks by perverting their religion forcing them to fight the Empire.  I do believe Golden Rod threatened them with death and ultimate destruction should they not obey.  Look at how they almost forced the destruction of Yavin.  They even counted notorious pirates, human traffickers, and slavers amongst their ranks (see Han Solo/Chewbacca  and Dash Rendar.)  And dont tell me we counted those "things" amongst ours.  The traitor Vader enlisted the help of scummy bounty hunters to help him hunt down other scum yes...but the rank and file as well as Imperial high command was certainly against it...see the look on the officers face and his reaction "we dont need their scum."  Rebel commandos constantly sabatoged civilian projects and structures on imperial controlled worlds (see the game Rebellion)...I know for a fact that they bombarded more than one peaceful imperial world and destroyed many many many civilian structures and factories in the name of spreading their perverted ideology through the empire (again see game Rebellion.)

One mans "freedom fighter" is another mans "terrorist."  I could point to the real world and point out that the FARC considers themselves freedom fighters, so does Abu Saayaf...who gets to label terrorists as terrorists?  I have fallen on the side of law and order, the empire, so I accept their definition.  You may continue to accept Lucas' propaganda and thats fine I guess...until we crush you.

Personally, I chose to fly Scum in contrast to my husband who flies Rebel & my brother who primarily flies Imp.

As someone who is still fairly new to X-Wing & only flies Scum, I've noticed each side has it's own cons & interesting pros, including my own faction. I'm still learning my own ships, so I'm not exactly able to say if I'm missing out by not playing more than 1 faction.

Tales of the Bounty Hunters was one of the first books I've read. Since then, I've always been a bounty hunter fan and will always choose to play them if I have a choice. Sure, I have a fair amount of Rebel and Imperial ships since I collected since the beginning, but I always had trouble getting into my lists. The game was decently fun, but it didn't get me excited.

When Scum & Villainy was announced and there was the prospect of getting my favorite bounty hunters in this game, my interest spiked. I don't only play the bounty hunters because ships like the Scyk and Kihraxz have really grown on me. Plus, Y-wings have always been my favorite Rebel ship, so it's fun to be able to fly them for Scum as well.

If I were to rank Scojo's answers for myself, I'd say my reasons for playing a single faction are:

1) Thematic interest

2) I want to practice with these ships to be the best I can be with them rather than dilute my play time with other factions.

3) I only get 1-2 games per week and Scum alone has enough variation to keep me busy with that for a long time.

4) It's financially less stressful to just focus on 1 faction rather than trying to get every ship in existence. This is especially true when X-Wing isn't the only competitive game you're playing (I'm a huge fan of the Star Wars LCG).

^This...almost entirely.  Tales of the Bounty Hunters is such a great book.  

I tend to play with a small group of friends, where we've each gone with a specific faction, and have all three covered.  We almost exclusively play Scum vs Imp vs Rebel matches during each gathering.  We haven't used proxies, but tend to just borrow each others' cards.  

It also helped that I got into this game right when Wave 6 released, and had my favorite bounty hunter (IG-88).  I started with the core to make sure I liked it, and the next day bought Most Wanted, HWK, and IG-2000.  At this point I have all of the scum ships, and still feel like I'm not able to play them enough and that some are neglected.  

Limited purchase power. Personal dislike of other factions ships. Are the main reasons.

Me I buy at least one of everything. But some of those ships I have have never been flown.

Freedom fighters aren't terrorists. Terrorists purposefully target civilian populations with the intent of achieving political goals through use of fear (typically "do what we say, or we'll do it again").

One mans "freedom fighter" is another mans "terrorist."

That's false. There's an actual definition of the word "terrorism" that can be applied to acts to determine of those are acts of terrorism or not. People who engage in acts of terrorism are terrorists.

There is a concerted effort in modern western political discourse to turn the meaning of "terrorist" into something amorphous that can be influenced by opinion or self-applied labels or depends on the perspective of the speaker. I think that's harmful, since we currently excuse atrocities like torture or civilian casualties, or accept more benign things like submitting to government surveillance if done in the name of "fighting terrorism."

I find both the K-Wing and the T70s interesting, but not enough to get out of my "what am I going to fly today" queue.

Freedom fighters aren't terrorists. Terrorists purposefully target civilian populations with the intent of achieving political goals through use of fear (typically "do what we say, or we'll do it again").

That's false. There's an actual definition of the word "terrorism" that can be applied to acts to determine of those are acts of terrorism or not. People who engage in acts of terrorism are terrorists.

There is a concerted effort in modern western political discourse to turn the meaning of "terrorist" into something amorphous that can be influenced by opinion or self-applied labels or depends on the perspective of the speaker. I think that's harmful, since we currently excuse atrocities like torture or civilian casualties, or accept more benign things like submitting to government surveillance if done in the name of "fighting terrorism."

I find both the K-Wing and the T70s interesting, but not enough to get out of my "what am I going to fly today" queue.

OK.  See this:

"Problem is you are basing your outlook soley on the propaganda films produced by a terrible propagandist.  By not keeping up on the EU I can safely assume your knowledge doesnt extend beyond the Alliance Propaganda.  So of course you didnt see what horrors the Alliance was afflicting on peaceful civilian worlds.  Look at how they enslaved the Ewoks by perverting their religion forcing them to fight the Empire.  I do believe Golden Rod threatened them with death and ultimate destruction should they not obey.  Look at how they almost forced the destruction of Yavin.  They even counted notorious pirates, human traffickers, and slavers amongst their ranks (see Han Solo/Chewbacca  and Dash Rendar.)"

You cant convince a terrorist who sincerely believes he is a "freedom fighter" that he is anything but a "freedom fighter."  See the Rebel Alliance.  They ARE a band of terrorists.  They committed uncountable atrocities across civilian worlds (including the bombardment of cities and factories) and perverted a native religion through fear to get cuddly teddy bears to do battle against the empire.

You freely admit all your knowledge comes from Lucas' propaganda.  So you know not of the bombings and terrible destruction caused upon the empire in the name of the rebellion.  Imperial citizens want peace and order...it was the rebellion who turned up this war by destroying our Death Star.  Had they surrendered or died the war of terror they began would be over.  And all peace loving imperial citizens would be better off for it.

I collect and enjoy playing all three factions, but I have the most success with Rebels.  They just fit my play style more than the other factions at this time.  I think with Wave 7 out now and Wave 8 in the future, Scum will be fitting my play style a bit more.  It's hard to tell with the T-70 out now too...I love a good joust. 

It is perfectly fine for people to choose a single faction as their favorite and play it as much as possible.  After all, not everyone has time to get games in each week.  You just cannot complain if something adversely affects your chosen faction because the game does a decent job of balancing itself.

OK.  See this:

"Problem is you are basing your outlook soley on the propaganda films produced by a terrible propagandist.  By not keeping up on the EU I can safely assume your knowledge doesnt extend beyond the Alliance Propaganda.  So of course you didnt see what horrors the Alliance was afflicting on peaceful civilian worlds.  Look at how they enslaved the Ewoks by perverting their religion forcing them to fight the Empire.  I do believe Golden Rod threatened them with death and ultimate destruction should they not obey.  Look at how they almost forced the destruction of Yavin.  They even counted notorious pirates, human traffickers, and slavers amongst their ranks (see Han Solo/Chewbacca  and Dash Rendar.)"

You cant convince a terrorist who sincerely believes he is a "freedom fighter" that he is anything but a "freedom fighter."  See the Rebel Alliance.  They ARE a band of terrorists.  They committed uncountable atrocities across civilian worlds (including the bombardment of cities and factories) and perverted a native religion through fear to get cuddly teddy bears to do battle against the empire.

You freely admit all your knowledge comes from Lucas' propaganda.  So you know not of the bombings and terrible destruction caused upon the empire in the name of the rebellion.  Imperial citizens want peace and order...it was the rebellion who turned up this war by destroying our Death Star.  Had they surrendered or died the war of terror they began would be over.  And all peace loving imperial citizens would be better off for it.

The empire blew up Aldderaan, a place where they BANNED weapons. There's imperial peace for you. Empire: 0 Rebels: 1 NRA: Checkmate

OK.  See this:

The empire blew up Aldderaan, a place where they BANNED weapons. There's imperial peace for you. Empire: 0 Rebels: 1 NRA: Checkmate

Correct.  The galaxy was supposed to be far more peaceable with Aldaraan gone.  Their soft power and financial support for the rebellion was eliminated.  Therefore the Rebellion had fewer funds and people to utilize during their reign of terror.  Had we been victorious on Yavin the war would have ended there.  Sadly this was not the case.  But it seems the empire lives on...through whatever this First Order thingy is.  I am looking forward to learning more.

I fly Rebel and Scum. I have all the things. I just don't like any of the Imperial ships...except maybe the Punisher, I get a kick out of that thing.

I fly Rebels and Scum as well but I have no Imp ships because none of the Imp ships I like a lot have appeared in game.