Sign in to follow this  
Kasuvari

Playing without a Core Set (or, my problems with the new damage deck)

As a reminder: For people who don't do tourneys: This does not effect you a single iota.

For people who like to have all the current up to date everything: You should already have at least one new core set to achieve your objective.

If it's in the tourney kit, then job done. Nothing else to even talk about, everyones happy.

That's not really true though, the new damage deck is intented to be fairer and a core component, so even if not playing in tourneys you're still playing with outdated components, might not be a big deal but is not nothing.

One thing that I noticed when reading through the article yesterday, they mentioned each specific card that was changed.  Therefore it should be possible to play the game with the old deck, and when you draw a Minor Hull Breach, you'll have to treat it as a Major Hull Breach.  Same thing for the other cards that have been changed, we know what card "replaced" them.  So while the wording is incorrect, it'd still be possible to play with the new deck crits without having the new deck.

I agree. I think there were other ways of patching the damage deck. The way they subtly nerfed the Tie/P with a minor rule change was majestic.

Maybe the could altered Munitions Failure so that instead of targeting a secondary weapon it worked on any upgrade card and the defender gets to choose which. Or when a critical has no effect, such as Munitions Failure or Injured Pilot on a naked Tie/F then it inflicts an extra damage point, or inflicts stress.

We're kind of stuck with it, and the deck is an improvement over the original. I wish I could get it in an app instead of a new core set.