Sign in to follow this  
Kasuvari

Playing without a Core Set (or, my problems with the new damage deck)

The point is, we have the power as customers, not the other way around.

Revolutions don't start with those who think they're in power, it's started by those are fed up with the system.  Don't buy the core set, if you don't want.  When challenged on why you don't have the new damage deck, then tell them. With enough people doing that, then FFG will sell it separately.

Your wallet is your voice, shout it from the roof tops!

Viva la revolution!

So the game that has been a runaway success for FFG, that they can't keep up with the demand, that they have global support for, that routinely sells out everywhere... will suddenly hit a flashpoint over a handful of paper cards?

Uhm, no.

If you don't want the core set, don't buy it. Fine. Those of us who want it will buy it. And possibly more than one. And I'll be a gleeful and gloating toad, and glory in my unused TFA damage deck sitting there, unused. Because I'm draconian like that.

You go and tell that big ol' mean TO who "challenges" you (you know because being expected to play by the rules is somehow "challenging") why you don't have the new damage deck when you show up for a tournament. And I'm sure that when you're not playing, and sitting by the sidelines because you don't have the draconian damage deck, go and hum your favourite revolutionary tune.

I'm considering buying a dice pack just so that I can check that box on my inventory spreadsheet.  Oh, and have the Proof of Purchase tab.

My 1st TFA core set is on the way, though.  And I have a preorder that includes both the Gozanti and my second original core set, so that I'll have a full 8+ TIE Fighters.

One thing I think I've learned thru this discussion is that I'm probably a bit more of a "casual" player. I don't buy 8 of each ship.  Normally just one in most cases. I started with 1 core set and only played at home with my wife. At first we shared everything so we didn't need anything extra except dice for beefier attacks (yes, I did buy the dice set.)

When we started building a group at our local store, I purchased a second core set even though we didn't need the ships for her so we both could play, and even asked around the forums for some spare bits in case new people wanted to stop in and play.

It's understandable if you've spent thousands (including travel to distant regionals) that a new core or two set won't bother anyone - but my dilemma is I've already spent $80 on core sets, and only about $400 on the whole game. And yes, I realize I could once again turn to Ebay or the great generous people here at the forums for charity, but I guess the point I was hoping to highlight, is that while I am in the severe minority -  it's just a little frustrating that at the moment the mentality is "buy this" or miss out on all the great community events next year.

I think people who buy an OT core set in, say, December will have a legit gripe if it doesn't have the new damage deck.

This is the only thing that concerns me.  Would love to see something in the newly printed OT cores that players could send in to get a new damage deck in the mail for the cost of shipping.  Probably Not going to happen but it is those new players that see both core sets and say "I want the OG trilogy ships", get the game home and find out they can't play in a tourney yet.

Yeah I had that misfortune with buying the coreset a week or two before word of the new damage deck came out.

Also the people arguing against the people who are a bit peeved by the new damage deck requiring a core set purchase could really do with less hyperbole and big speak, it doesn't really help your arguments.

One thing I think I've learned thru this discussion is that I'm probably a bit more of a "casual" player. I don't buy 8 of each ship.  Normally just one in most cases. I started with 1 core set and only played at home with my wife. At first we shared everything so we didn't need anything extra except dice for beefier attacks (yes, I did buy the dice set.)

When we started building a group at our local store, I purchased a second core set even though we didn't need the ships for her so we both could play, and even asked around the forums for some spare bits in case new people wanted to stop in and play.

It's understandable if you've spent thousands (including travel to distant regionals) that a new core or two set won't bother anyone - but my dilemma is I've already spent $80 on core sets, and only about $400 on the whole game. And yes, I realize I could once again turn to Ebay or the great generous people here at the forums for charity, but I guess the point I was hoping to highlight, is that while I am in the severe minority -  it's just a little frustrating that at the moment the mentality is "buy this" or miss out on all the great community events next year.

That's a fair point for the casual player. If I were in that situation, I'd simply get the text from the new decks - which I'm sure you'll be able to find already online - and print my own for personal use at home. Much of it depends too what level of tournaments you may plan to play at. If it's just your neighbourhood FLGS that's not doing any sanctioned FFG events, it doesn't matter what you do beyond what the TO dictates. The sanctioned FFG events are the ones that need the official rules and deck for. 

If you play at home only, it doesn't fundamentally matter what FFG says you can or cannot do. But really, as someone in another thread math'd out before with the new deck being required by January 1st, that works out to less than $0.50 per day over the next three months. Throw two quarters (or your national equivalent) in a jar each day and by January, you'll have it paid for. Throw three in each day and you'll have two sets paid for. Maybe you eat junk food or buy things that aren't as healthy for you. Stop spending money on that and kick that habit; improve your health and get new games... :)  I realize too that some folks may have a natural objection to being told they need to have the new deck and the only way to get it is the new core. There's less we can suggest for that.

I'm going to ask one thing.

Honest answers please:

Who here have actually purchased the x-wing Dice set rather than just a second core to get extra bits?

I have.

I was set on playing scum from the get go, so I acquired the core set contents that I needed by pooling in cash for other people's cores (along the lines of 'hey dude, you're buying this new core for extra TIEs? How about I chip in with some $$ and you let me have the templates?').

To date I do not own a complete core set.

I have two sons that also play the game.  (My ten year old and I are playing in a tourney this weekend)  We own 2 OT cores and 1 FA core.  Now if his younger brother and maybe someday their little sister want to play in organized events, this might be an issue for us.  We have enough templates, ships and dice to supply three of us easily but will need to find two new damage decks from ebay or some other friendly players.  Not a huge deal and probably worth it to have a damage deck that works but annoying.

Let's not lose sight of how FFG was willing to take a potentially risky and apparently unpopular move to improve one of the core mechanics of this game.  The damage deck was broken and it is now fixed.  That is worth some headaches and probably worth $5-10 bucks on ebay.

it's just a little frustrating that at the moment the mentality is "buy this" or miss out on all the great community events next year.

And to be honest, no one faults you for feeling that way. Please don't make the mistake of thinking replies aimed at someone with some Funk are also aimed at you.

There's perhaps two separate issues here.

One is the cost of getting the new damage deck. To be honest I think this is at best a sorta legitimate complaint, because the core set is a great deal, and if you really don't want one there's other options like eBay or very likely your LGS. I'd bet that the odds are good someone you play X-Wing with will have a extra deck at some point.

So honestly, it's not even like it's going to be $40 for a new damage deck, that's just the easiest way to get one. I'd say that most people will be able to get one for $5-15 if they put a little effort into it.

Two is people who just can't deal with someone telling them they have to do something. For these people they do not have a legitimate let alone reasonable complaint. You're already forced to do given things just to play the game in a tournament at all. This is simply yet another thing you have to do and/ buy to keep playing.

The simple fact is that the new damage deck is better for the game all the way around. It's something that IMO needed to be done for some time. It will make tournaments better for everyone and anyone who has an issue with having to get one other than price... Is quite simply not reasonable.

That's fair. I think the problem is that as I had said, in contrast to other popular examples in gaming - and comparisons are inevitable like it or not - X-wing's "tournament tax" of buying a core set for the damage deck is actually really light. If you don't even play tournament then this won't effect you in the least.

It's really a moot point FFG said for orgnized play you need the new deck as of Jan 1, 2016, guess anyone who wants to stay with the old deck is only playing casual. Personally I like everything in the new core set and am willing to support a product that I enjoy, if that makes me a sucker I guess I am, but I'm a sucker playing in orgnized play in 2016.

Guest *striker8

I'm going to ask one thing.

Honest answers please:

Who here have actually purchased the x-wing Dice set rather than just a second core to get extra bits?

I got the dice. Only have one starter.

And to break it down, I didn't want more ties( 2 in the starter and one expansion is enough), already got the x wing booster and can't see ever needing more than 2, have no need of more tokens, asteroids,  templates, or another damage deck, wanted more dice. $35 for a starter that I didn't;t want 99% of, $8.95 for the dice I wanted. Not that hard to do the math, $26 extra to get stuff I didn't want was not worth the cost when $9 got me what I wanted.

EDIT: After reading the thread a bit closer I feel it's need I clarify things from my perspective a bot more.

Most of my friends only have one starter set and then the dice pack. They follow the same thinking I have, why spend more for things you neither want or need. We don't buy multiple duplicates either, we are happy with one or two of something and if that means we aren't super tournament meta we don't give a flying bantha crap. I try and get one of every rebel and imp ship just because and have no real desire to get any scum, one of my buddies ONLY does imps and refuses to get anything else and keeps the x wing from the starter because it came in the starter. Another buddy only does scum and keeps the ties and x wing from his starter incase some one new wants to try the game out.  I am the only one of the 3 that even come to the forums.

I have a good number of gaming acquaintances that fit right in with my closer group in buying habits and thinking with a couple of acquaintances that get everything FFG releases in multiples. Out of those people I'd say that only the have multiple crowd come to the forums with any regularity at all if ever.

How do you think the new starter is going to go with my people? My buddy that collects imps wants it just for the ties because he can't have to many, the one that does scum sees no need to have one and I feel the same. FFG just arbitrarily put 3 people out of ever participating in their events since the one with the required deck won't do a tournament unless one of us does as well and we won't have the decks because we aren't spending $35 to get a bunch of crap we neither want or need. Go to my acquaintances and how many more did FFG just scratch off their possible event base? Better how do you think these players will feel about FFG and x wing being marginalizing them because they don't buy everything? Can we agree that they might not hold FFG in very high esteem  at that point and buying habits might change to FFG detriment? 

This forum like all others is full of people who just can't or wont except the fact that while they think there are many that think like them on the forum,  the forum population is so small they are the true minority and the majority in the real world does not agree with forum people.

Edited by striker8

That's fine and I agree with you but when my two sons and I all want to play in a tourney, it gets a little more expensive.

I agree with this. While I can't be mad about updates (I am a Game of Thrones player whose whole game got shelved in favor of a second edition and I loved every minute of it), it's hard to think about me and my two boys needing 3 new Cores to go to a tournament. 

I'd like to think I can plan ahead and borrow one or two as X Wing players, like those from Thrones, are very happy to help.

Also, Thrones has seen its share of errata and the reprinted products come with updated copies of the errata'd cards (Same with Lord of the Rings.) So, I think it's not outside the realm of possibility at all to think that in the future OT Cores will have updated damage decks.

That's fine and I agree with you but when my two sons and I all want to play in a tourney, it gets a little more expensive.

I agree with this. While I can't be mad about updates (I am a Game of Thrones player whose whole game got shelved in favor of a second edition and I loved every minute of it), it's hard to think about me and my two boys needing 3 new Cores to go to a tournament. 

I'd like to think I can plan ahead and borrow one or two as X Wing players, like those from Thrones, are very happy to help.

Also, Thrones has seen its share of errata and the reprinted products come with updated copies of the errata'd cards (Same with Lord of the Rings.) So, I think it's not outside the realm of possibility at all to think that in the future OT Cores will have updated damage decks.

I'm not too worried.  I expect I'll be able to get a spare from some of those that purchased multiple FA cores.  At worst, going to cost me $15 or so on Ebay.  Would rather spend that on another Khifdshg though...

I'm not too worried.  I expect I'll be able to get a spare from some of those that purchased multiple FA cores.  At worst, going to cost me $15 or so on Ebay.  Would rather spend that on another Khifdshg though...

My kids actually really like the new T-70 so I may end up getting a second for "them" for Christmas anyway :)

But but but, that Integrated Astro card and the Targeting Astromech only in the blister.  Gotta wait.  Gotta wait.  Gotta wait...

Excellent point. I'll get that for "his brother."

Random aside: the new FO TIE has the target lock action which is a complete waste on a 2 ATK ship, in my view, but not when paired with COLONEL VESSERY!!!!

But but but, that Integrated Astro card and the Targeting Astromech only in the blister.  Gotta wait.  Gotta wait.  Gotta wait...

Random aside: the new FO TIE has the target lock action which is a complete waste on a 2 ATK ship, in my view, but not when paired with COLONEL VESSERY!!!!

Not saying it's going to replace VaderATC as my spotter for vessery.

Not saying I won't try it.

Not saying it's going to replace VaderATC as my spotter for vessery.

Not saying I won't try it.

I don't have a raider, but I do have Echo/Vessery/FO greek letter. 

Or when using Omega Ace.