Sign in to follow this  
Kasuvari

Playing without a Core Set (or, my problems with the new damage deck)

I'm going to ask one thing.

Honest answers please:

Who here have actually purchased the x-wing Dice set rather than just a second core to get extra bits?

I bought the extra dice set.   Still don't have a second core.   I probably will get the new core, but I sure don't need any extra bits.   

Honest answers please:

Who here have actually purchased the x-wing Dice set rather than just a second core to get extra bits?

I bought the extra dice set.   Still don't have a second core.   I probably will get the new core, but I sure don't need any extra bits.   

So far you are the only one I've heard of.

Honest answers please:

I doubt many at all, because the dice are really expensive and the core gets you extra asteroids and more ships: they're worth it just for the ships.

But pretty much everyone wanted the X-wing and the TIE fighter. The same apparently isn't true for the TFA ships (despite being slightly remodeled X-wings and TIE fighters.)

If you don't want the ships, you're reduced to the new rocks, slightly nicer templates, bonus dice and new rulebook. At this point, a fair few people will probably conclude the core isn't really worth it.

If you've got acrylics you prefer, you use the online rulebook and already have ample dice, it's a damage deck and some new rocks. If you don't care about newly shaped rocks, it's just the damage deck.

At this point, any sane person would conclude that the core isn't worth their money and wouldn't get it, were it not for one thing.

The Damage Deck update is mandatory. Understandably mandatory; it wouldn't be much of a fix for the damage deck were it not, but for people with no other reason to buy the new core, it's understandably irritating.

However, everyone in this position has to accept something: FFG aren't going to change it any time soon: they've got no reason to, and even in the highly unrealistic scenario of this whole forum going on some sort of boycott protest it wouldn't change a thing: we're a drop in the sales ocean.

It's pointless expecting FFG to do anything about it: it's a question of what you can do about it. And there are plenty of ways to acquire the new damage deck in the next quarter year without having to pay for a load of crap1 you don't want.

1: Subjectively, of course. I for one would very much like those white TIE fighters.

That's fair enough, the damage deck is the one thing you can't just get from FFG, apart from, you know certain pilots etc. Still, even then. it's only if you absolutely positively have to play official tournaments, and compared to certain other games, as a tournament tax it's next to nothing.

So we've got a "wouldn't have if had thought about it more" and "already have 2 core sets, a third would be a bit much". Both fair enough.

In the FLGS instance the newer core set would be of more benefit - as showcasing new rules, cards, tokens, ships etc etc etc, a third core set (old) - not so much

didn't want to buy a third core set.

So you did in fact buy a 2nd core. Which is the whole point of the question. How many people bought a set of dice instead of a second core?

There will be a fairly small number of people who are truly affected by this, and for their sake I hope that FFG offers them something that works. But even if they don't, as I already pointed out you can get a new damage deck for about $10 on Ebay.

I just don't understand the argument against the new core set being required for sanctioned tournaments. FFG is giving generous lead time on it, and it has no effect whatsoever on casual play or unsanctioned tournaments where a TO might allow the 1.0 damage deck.

And please, FFG, please for the love of all that is holy don't start packaging upgrade cards separate from ships. Please don't make me drive to three different retailers trying to find the right combination of product just so I can get what I need. Please continue to allow me to buy a single expansion pack that contains a usually-reasonable amount of upgrade cards to enhance current and prior releases. 

Right now they're batting real close to .400, let's encourage them to keep it that way instead of complaining about quibbles that are on a smaller scale than any other major tabletop company's.

I realize there are already several posts concerning the new damage deck, but I thought I could approach the argument from another direction. Can you play X-wing without a Core Set? Let's look at the required components:

Rule Book - available for free as a updated pdf download

Ships - available through any number of expansion packs

Tokens (focus, shield, target lock) - each expansion comes with enough tokens to fly each ship

Asteroids - alternative tourney-legal debris fields available in 2 large ship expansions and 2 epic ship expansions'

Range Rulers - cardboard rulers only available in core sets BUT 3rd party acrylic rulers ARE tourney legal

Dice - available for purchase separately

Damage Deck - only available in 2 core sets

My argument is this.

I do not want to purchase a new core set. I do not want new ships I won't fly. I do not want more dice, or asteroids, or range rulers. I DO want to continue playing a game that I love. Since so much of this game is available outside the core set, please make 1 of the following possible:

1. Reverse the ruling, and allow players to pick either deck to play (and treat it like strategically picking asteroids)

2. Sell the new Damage deck separately

3. Offer a downloadble PDF (like the rulebook) and allow us to "Print and Play" a new damage deck

This is not about being "cheap." It's about honoring the statement that the "core game has not changed and is still playable and valid amid the growing community." But mostly, it's about common sense.

UPDATE:

To be clear, I am alright with cards being packaged with ships because 1. we are told ahead of time what comes with each set and thus can make informed decisions AND 2. cards are NOT required to play the base game. FFG's business model on this is fair and rather straight forward (like say, blindly buying Magic card boosters.)

But, having a Damage Deck is NOT an option. It is required and thus since there was a change, there should be considerations for those who owned the original game - and may not wish to buy the new one.

Damage Deck - only available in 2 core sets. OR from 3rd party sites that piece out individual parts. OR from auction sites. Or from other players who have multiple new cores.

You go to 3rd parties for mats and templates, but only FFG is allowed to sell damage decks on this forum

If anyone I knew needed a deck I'd give them my spare, but they all have at least 1 and about half have their own worthless spare.

The point is, we have the power as customers, not the other way around.

Revolutions don't start with those who think they're in power, it's started by those are fed up with the system.  Don't buy the core set, if you don't want.  When challenged on why you don't have the new damage deck, then tell them. With enough people doing that, then FFG will sell it separately.

Your wallet is your voice, shout it from the roof tops!

Viva la revolution!

Except, that it won't have the effect you want. First, you need an insane number of people to do what you want. With a game THIS popular, good luck. 

But let's say you do hit X-wing sales enough for them to seriously look at it. What is more likely to happen, for them to do what you want, or to kill the game and do a reboot in a few years? 

Buy what you want, you don't have to get anything. But, let's not have delusions on what the likely reprucussions of serious sales drops, shall we? 

So we've got a "wouldn't have if had thought about it more" and "already have 2 core sets, a third would be a bit much". Both fair enough.

In the FLGS instance the newer core set would be of more benefit - as showcasing new rules, cards, tokens, ships etc etc etc, a third core set (old) - not so much

I had 2 cores and bought the dice... I don't know why, maybe to get free shipping? I then inherited a 3rd core and now have 2 TFA cores. I have a metric ton of dice

Revolutions don't start with those who think they're in power, it's started by those are fed up with the system.  Don't buy the core set, if you don't want.  When challenged on why you don't have the new damage deck, then tell them. With enough people doing that, then FFG will sell it separately.

Viva la revolution!

I've never once bought a ship for cards. I have 3 starvipers. Enjoy your 1-15 man revolution, I'll keep buying toys I love

Viva la revolution!

The new core is selling like crazy. Your battle was lost the day it was released, when all the people queued up outside Targets to buy them at RRP. This whole forum is at most a mug in a bath. The disgruntled members are an eggcup in a bath. Those who'll actually boycott the new core over the damage deck don't constitute enough water to run an NMR on.

No, if you want to send FFG a message you need to get Joe Boss Red Seven to stop buying. That'll cut their sales in half overnight. :P

Honest answers please:

I did. I can't say what I would have done under different circumstances but when my buddy and I started I got 2 tie fighter packs to play against him and he got the core set and some ewings. At that point once I got the legit core set I just had no interest in another.

Viva la revolution!

I've never once bought a ship for cards. I have 3 starvipers. Enjoy your 1-15 man revolution, I'll keep buying toys I love

Loyalist

Viva la revolution!

Loyalist

lFucAD8.jpg

Edited by Blue Five

Straying off topic somewhat... I do fully intend to buy one TFA core, and possibly two. I need to see what the Canadian pricing will be at both the discounted online guys, compared to the FLGS pricing. I'll support the FLGS for sure, since they're so gracious in providing us a clean, large table environment for us to play in for free. The core sets have generally been the cheapest way to increase your ship count for the X-Wing and TIEs.