Sign in to follow this  
PoliteElliot

Not happy about buying new damage deck/core set!

I'm sick of people complaining about this.  Just buy one off ebay or don't play competitive.  Or...see if they release it as a solo purchase.  If you want to play in the big tournaments, just buy a single deck online.  Or borrow one from a friend.  Or don't....but I don't need another thread about someone complaining about it.

Well you could just not read the thread or do...but I don't need another reply complaining about people complaining.

I'm sick of people complaining about this.  Just buy one off ebay or don't play competitive.  Or...see if they release it as a solo purchase.  If you want to play in the big tournaments, just buy a single deck online.  Or borrow one from a friend.  Or don't....but I don't need another thread about someone complaining about it.

Well you could just not read the thread or do...but I don't need another reply complaining about people complaining.

Did you just complain about him complaining about people complaining?

It is worth mentioning I feel that games workshop recently redid an entire game from basically the ground up because players weren't buying models any more as all their armies were complete. Sure they might buy a pack or two here and there, but it was slowly killing sales numbers, among other reasons. If buying a $40 dollar bargain box of goodies that comes with new obstacles to tailor your strategies more is considered to be your buy in for the next three years or so, I'd call that cheap. Sympathetic to your plight but not all to reasonable dude. Change your paradigm on the matter a bit. I hope you'll see that it's a good thing.

Now all that said, you could just use the same reason that I'm going to use for going on hiatus awhile from the games standard format, see that FFG has screwed up for the third time on balance in the last three waves and say that your starting over from the new core set and going forward from there. Just another paradigm.

...and look how well that's doing for them.

What FFG is doing with X-Wing has absolutely nothing to do with gw & 40k... Nopes.

:D

It has everything to do with moving forward with a cleaned up game play experience, and a whole lot of glorious new STAR WARS content to bring cool new ships into this awesome game!

^_^

I can only speak from my experience and tell you that at the FLGS I frequent, AoS has sold well. Better than the old game by a factor of like five. Maybe or area is functionally different from yours when it comes down to gaming and its not like some winners haven't come in to vocally not buy anything of it... Odd considering from what the owner and workers there tell me some of them never bought any thing but occasionally books in the past several years, which I can imagine doesn't help a model company... But instead just sit around and bad mouth the players playing the new game while butthurting out their sob story of betrayal at the hand of a tyrannical corporation. Kicked a guy out for it one day too he was being such a 'ahem' about it.

But you know the darn thing is I kind of miss the old damage deck already. I was super excited about the new one and now it just doesn't feel right. But you know I'm still happy to have the new core set in my hands because it's like being too start the saga all over again from a new beginning. You might even say A New Hope! Lol

NEW TOYS!

:wub:

STAR WARS ain't gonna die in our lifetime.

:D

Part of me hopes they ccg the cards into individual packs. Just imagine, you could spend $80 on a box of packs for a chance at those ultra rare autothrusters but definitely get 500 more proton torpedoes. That would be fun.

If they really did a ccg (Collectible Card Game) rather than an lcg (Living Card Game) where there would be rare, uncommon, etc cards.  Then I could promise without reservation or doubt the last expansion that I purchase would be the Gonzati.  I have a good enough collection that I will be enjoying a diversity of games for some time.

Sorry, I'm not getting into another collectible game.  Come to think of it, that would be a reason for me to bow out and save some money.

Did you hear a 'wooshing' sound while replying to that post?

wooshing???

Its the sound a TIE makes.

Yup, as they streak over ones' head

I am somewhat surprised that people are complaining about this. Don't a lot of players get multiple ships anyway each wave? FFG doesn't owe you anything. If this is enough of a problem for people. then they need to reconsider some things because this is a game and FFG is a business. Complain all you want but this is what they are doing and you have to accept it. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell the damage deck individually at a later date but I also wouldn't be surprised if they don't do that and this is the only way to get it.

Me and Chad are cool I was just having a little fun using his argument to debunk his argument :)

Me and Chad are cool I was just having a little fun using his argument to debunk his argument :)

That sounds like you... :lol:

And if licensing and printing cards is the issue, why not release a damage card app?  Have ship symbols that face down/up cars can be placed on.  Crits are even more randomized than you could get them by shuffling.

Awesome idea. I don't even mind paying for the app, it will cost a lot less less than a new core set.

Y'all know that they've updated the FAQ to say the new decks will be compulsory at Worlds - and they'll be handing out damage decks to all entrants there, right?

Betcha they continue to play 'good guys' a while yet.

Can you tell me what page says this? I can't find this anywhere on the site.

Y'all know that they've updated the FAQ to say the new decks will be compulsory at Worlds - and they'll be handing out damage decks to all entrants there, right?

Betcha they continue to play 'good guys' a while yet.

Can you tell me what page says this? I can't find this anywhere on the site.

The tournament rules document.  

If you consider the new damage deck to be a damage deck "fix", then it isn't so bad. If we all change our attitude to be:

"Current damage deck is underpowered and needs a buff! Thanks FFG for fixing it!!!!"

Then we can be applauding the change rather than disliking being forced into it to participate in sanctioned tourneys.

I like the idea of 'fixing' or improving the damage deck but maybe a rule change could have achieved that, instead of replacing a core component bundled with a new core set. It just isn't a good solution for many existing players.

Their damage deck design brief and solution are interesting to read: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/16/there-has-been-an-awakening/

"The Force Awakens Core Set does not reboot the game or replace the classic Core Set from 2012; it stands alongside it as another entry point into the game..."

It doesn't replace the original trilogy core set. Yes the damage deck changes for tournament play but it is only tournament play. If you have such a problem with it then just buy one on eBay or buy a new core set and sell what you don't want. It is not as big a deal as some are making it out to be. Considering you also get new asteroids, minis, templates, dice etc. why would you not buy a copy ?

It doesn't replace the original trilogy core set. Yes the damage deck changes for tournament play but it is only tournament play. If you have such a problem with it then just buy one on eBay or buy a new core set and sell what you don't want. It is not as big a deal as some are making it out to be. Considering you also get new asteroids, minis, templates, dice etc. why would you not buy a copy ?

Again, because people might not be interested in the components / ships. E.g. the box here if I want to get it costs about 45-50 euros. That's three other clam packs that might have ships I want to play in it. Not everyone has as big budgets to spend on this game. And while the deck is only mandatory for tournament play, it is very clearly intended to iron out some creases in the original deck and is a patch to the game of sorts.

I can totally see that, but I want to spend my money on cool new ships and expansion packs, not a Core Set I already own...

Hmmm,

If you already own the Core Set that contains the new damage deck why complain about the new damage deck?

Cheers

Baaa

He very obviously means the original core.

I can totally see that, but I want to spend my money on cool new ships and expansion packs, not a Core Set I already own...

Hmmm,

If you already own the Core Set that contains the new damage deck why complain about the new damage deck?

Cheers

Baaa

He very obviously means the original core.

Which matches the old one on dice and templates. Everything else has changed from the OT set.

Here's an idea. Maybe FFG can include 16 sets in their next game night kits. They can charge extra for it and the LGS can pass on the cost to the attendees. Chances are most of the people going to premier events will also be going to their local game night tournies. I know it circumvents people from buying the new core set, but here's an opportunity to get the new decks out there and possibly getting more people involved in tournament play.