Sign in to follow this  
Cyscott1

Scenario observations and opinions

I was thinking this past Sunday after our biweekly game and came to some conclusions about ideal scenario parameters. Keep in mind this applies to me in that I can't leave maps setup overnight and only have about 1 day a week to play.

Map size- 6 to 9 tiles

Unit count- 9 to 12 per player at any one point in time

Rounds- 7-10 makes for a nice 3-4 hour game if the other factors above are used.

Just rambling. Carry on.

my experience is: The smaller the game (4 to 6 map tiles, 6 to 8 units, few command points) the more challeging and exciting it is. This way each squad is special and must bs used the right way.

In my eyes ToI is a small unit game which is not preformint to well on larger scale. This is especially true for tanks. The rules of the game work great for small battles between a few aquads mixed up with one or two tanks. Anything beyond this proved to be not much fun. Of course this depends on your definition of fun happy.gif

My friend and I have played probably 75% of the scenario's so far (base game, DotF, Normandy) and have found the smaller games to have been much more intense and close.  I don't know if those scenarios simply lend themselves to more balance or if it's just been a happy coincidence.  But anything larger than 9 tiles (3x3) seems to be a one-sided/lopsided battle with little bang for your time spent buck.  The 3x3 and 2x2 scenarios seem to be cleaner, quicker, and on balance, more fair for both sides.

Just my 2 cents...