Sign in to follow this  
joewrightgm

So... Sell me Imperial Assault

I'll be honest, I didn't want to invest into IA. I already had X-Wing and I was already spending money on Netrunner, Warhammer 40K Conquest, and Star Wars LCG. 

The box intimidated me...and at $100, it was a pretty high price tag. 

But when I attended Star Wars Celebration, I met Steve Kimball (who just wrote an article about Mission: Red Planet) and he showed me IA. I was like...half paying attention because I was convinced I wasn't going to invest in it...in fact, I was more interested in Armada. He didn't even have to convince me...I played a few rounds and I was intrigued. It was...easy to play. In the few rounds I played, it was fairly intense and it was the intro mission. When Steve mentioned this was a progressive campaign where characters grow as you play, I was convinced. 

It's not a cheap game by any means. I ended up getting the game at a discount at a later convention and I started looking through the components. Obviously FFG quality...the miniatures of my favorite Star Wars characters made it worth the cost The game was the icing...like a thick, messy, slathered on icing that doesn't make you feel guilty. 

Like people said, there's a skirmish mode (1v1), which made me hooked. When I went to GenCon, I saw Boba Fett, Chewie, and Han...I had to get them. 

Now I'm waiting on the final group of miniatures to come in the mail until the Hoth expansion. 

The only cons I see is the setup time and rules. I've organized my map tiles in groups of 10 and in large ziplock bags. All my cards are in separate smaller packages and labeled (I'm planning on getting Battle Foam so I can start painting). As far as the rules, there's a lot of them. It makes sense in the end and is easy to explain, but figuring out the nuances (which cards go for which game type, when they are used, how long are they used for, etc) and the advantages/disadvantages of particular characters can be time consuming...especially when you're trying to learn the game without someone that already knows the game. 

My suggestion would be to play the game somewhere and judge for yourself. I've personally stopped getting more X-Wing, stopped buying Star Wars LCG, and I've totally concentrated on IA. That's how good the game is, in my opinion. 

Anyways, that's my story. 

Sorastro's painting guide is actually what got me addicted to IA. I didn't really want it because the figures weren't painted and I can't paint for crap. Then I watched his guides, decided I could do what he explained and actually sat down and played. Turns out it's a blast to play and painting the guys is a really rewarding, fun experience too!

You can find Sorastro's painting thread on this forum, it rarely falls off the front page (we won't let it)

I'll save it as a link...

I've ordered my copy of IA with a couple of Imperial expansion packs. Looking forward to playing the games on a games day with friends. I WILL be wearing my Stormtrooper Armour when I do so. (because to be honest, rude not to).

So I guess next question: For skirmish and campaign, is it practical/feasible to just run with Imperial officers/stormtroopers/the odd ATST and no imparial guard/scum/dark jedi etc?

Edited by DariusAPB

+ a million to Sorastro's painting guide. 

As an X-Winger I too was on the fence w/ IA (also given the core set cost compared to XWing but good grief do you get a lot of value in that box) but watching the painting videos pushed me over the edge into the world of IA. He honestly makes it so simple and easy that anyone can do it and get very decent results as long as you don't have jittery hands.

He uses Citadel paints but you can also find comparisons for Valejo colors or others if those aren't available or as cheap. The Citadel washes are a must have though.

Go demo it at a local shop.  It seriously sells itself.  And because - STAR WARS!  The Han Solo missions are amazingly fun, especially with all the surprises.  REALLY feels like a side movie plot which is awesome!

I hadn't played anything like it, and also come from X-Wing.  I enjoy both modes of the game, campaign and skirmish. 

If you don't like the mode that was demoed, try the other one. I did not enjoy campaign at all when I played it with a friend. A few weeks later he ended up talking me into trying skirmish. I bought the game the same day.

So I guess next question: For skirmish and campaign, is it practical/feasible to just run with Imperial officers/stormtroopers/the odd ATST and no imparial guard/scum/dark jedi etc?

Skirmish mode: Imperial officers are one the best units in this mode. They are cheap and provide great action economy. Stormtroopers work great in objective based modes where you need to cover a lot of space. Pick up the new expansion pack for good command cards and a nice skirmish upgrade for them. AT-ST’s can go anywhere, yay!

Campaign mode: Eh.There comes a time in the campaign where the heroes are able to wipe out officers and stormtroopers without blinking due to new shiny upgrades and greater action economy. AT-ST's can't go on indoor tiles. 

Royal Guards are extremely useful because they can stun and Trandoshan hunters are useful because they dish out strain.

Thanks.

Also. Has anyone else noticed that the game now has Mal (albeit in female form in the return to hoth expansion) Jayne (Biv) Kaylee (Sask.. is her name? The technician from twin shadows) and Shepard Book (the commander guy from the starter set).?

Edited by DariusAPB