Sign in to follow this  
R5D8

Lord Vader, General Weiss, and an Elite Imperial Officer.

Taking this combo in my local tournament this Saturday for sheer giggles. My question is...

Will it lose through mission objectives or through figure elimination?

My store's meta is to play as close to the 4x4 without actually doing it, so I see a lot of 2x2 with mercs, or 3x3s with random things added.

So playing that list to be fun, but is it completely hopeless?

2 black die blocks, triple die attacks, and Weiss can command two figures to move without needing line of sight. How badly will the Leaders of the Empire go down?

OMG this list makes me want to cry. The big thing I see is that you're going to lose command card advantage right off the bat. With so few models, you won't be able to deal with the more spammy lists. Anything with more than 8 models will dance around you. I think you'll lose on objective badly and quickly each game.

If you want something with 2 big beats, then try Vader, RGC, an Elite Officer (or perhaps Elite Probe) and a Regular Officer.  It's got 4 models, still has a lot of hitting power, and has quite a bit more mobility.

Still, you're really going to have trouble getting objectives.

This sounds like the start of a bad joke.

Lord Vader, General Weiss, and an Elite Imperial Officer walk into a bar, the officer says hey What's the difference between an ATAT and a Stormtrooper? well one's an Imperial walker and the other is a walking Imperial. Weiss laughs, then vader force chokes the officer.

Its funny cause Jar-Jar

So I went 2-1.

The one I lost came down to the last activation, Vader flubbed his swing against the Last Royal Guard, and then double Evaded for his defense, which killed him. So, one flubbed roll away from 3-0. Better than I thought.

People were running Troopers and Boba Fett, with one running Rebel Heroes. Boba and Kayn did the most damage as the three die attacks. Chewie was surprisingly ineffective, unlucky. Typically speaking, I was able to completely ignore mission VPs and just focused on removing figures. Since my only "soft" figure was only 5 points, it usually took my opponents a few rounds to realize they needed to take out either Vader or Weiss to win, and by that time it was too late.

Fun watching Royal Guards swing for nothing. Blast 3 also fun. However, if the other side does nothing but go after one of those models, it can't win, it relies on the opponent sending many of his forces to gain Mission VPs.

May run it again, we'll see.

Edited by R5D8

Helped greatly, just not that roll. Effectively triple evaded.

However, Often the reroll took it from one or two damage to none. My opponents became frustrated with their two die attacks, especially if they weren't rolling the red

Someone played this at a tournament last Sunday, it did a LOT better than I thought it would!  I won with a Kane Somos list and my regular troopers, even heavy troopers did mostly nothing.  Took a focus token to put any damage on Vader or Weiss.  I eventually went for goals (close to home map).  You will get one objective, and you will get it good.  Focused stuff is going to be the bad part of this list, I doubt anything with stun hits hard enough to effectively get stun through. 

That player went 0-2 and dropped on the 3rd round, we were all playing unconventional stuff due to the house rule in effect:  you could only bring 2 of any deployment group.  Most people brought a regular and an elite of particularly good groups. 

my buddy ran a similar variant last night:

http://ia-armies.com/army/E18AnBo1

He was a bit over the place with it. we were playing the dig site map, and I was able to capture 4 disks, then lost about 5 units before finally taking down Weiss.

I can definitely see this list being a sleeper as if piloted correctly, can wipe the board clean rather fast.

Someone played this at a tournament last Sunday, it did a LOT better than I thought it would!  I won with a Kane Somos list and my regular troopers, even heavy troopers did mostly nothing.  Took a focus token to put any damage on Vader or Weiss.  I eventually went for goals (close to home map).  You will get one objective, and you will get it good.  Focused stuff is going to be the bad part of this list, I doubt anything with stun hits hard enough to effectively get stun through. 

That player went 0-2 and dropped on the 3rd round, we were all playing unconventional stuff due to the house rule in effect:  you could only bring 2 of any deployment group.  Most people brought a regular and an elite of particularly good groups. 

Ha, pretty sure I was at the tournament.  I'm that new guy, who brought Fett and Tusken raiders (what was I thinking?).

Yea This list did much better than I expected too. I got one of the wins off of him, but I BARELY pulled it off. And I would have done even much worse if I did not get Fett's unique command card quite early and get a double attack on Weiss (while weakened). I got greedy on objective VPs, not claiming a token end of round when I should have, so I actually had to kill Vader and Weiss.

Fun list to play against and Im guessing fun to play with as well.