Sign in to follow this  
Lord Ashram

I just hate the cr90

I have two of them... I've tried to use them many times, and every time they aren't good. They chip away with only a few dice and don't do much, and then they get obliterated by something much, much bigger. I just don't understand them:(

Two options for the CR90s.

With the A, you want to go in a wide flank then stick in the ennemy's rear spamming concentrate fire commands. Probably with upgrades that both help your defense and your turbolasers.

With the B, you can go either that wide flank, either go for a "drive-by" aiming to debuff the enemy for a punishing round of fire by the rest of your fleet. For that you'll need Overload Pulse/Dodonna's Pride. The idea is to force him to exhaust his defense tokens so that the volley from the rest of your fleet is that much more efficient.

havn't really flown em since the core set days

from what I remember, forget about any command that isn't navigate (maybe bank a CF token turn 1) until you run around to the enemy's shite hullzones

a cr-90 can kill a VSD, given enough time, if you're doing nothing but slapping its arse

First thing to remember, it's not going to one shot anyone, and nothing out yet can keep up with it speed wise, so use its maneuverability to get in a vulnerable area on the enemy's ship and to defend yourself by staying away from danger.

Also, give the enemy something better to shoot at, like a pair of NebB's on his nose or an AFmk2, because you know to keep your fleet together for maximum firepower. So time your CR90's flanking move to arrive as the rest of your fleet arrives in firing range. Now all your ships are concentrating fire on one ship while they choose which one or two ships of yours to shoot.

I run mine with the Tantive Title and Leia next to my Assault Frigate, it activates first, throws a couple die to eat at shields, feeds its token to the AF, and if I didn't quite plan correctly, I can change the command of the AF to something I can use.   Ive ran this twice and had much success.

Use the CR90A, not the B (it has it's uses, but don't try that yet).

Stick Jaina's Light on it.

Now try it in a fleet with 2 AFs.

Do NOT think of it as a battleship.

It's a tool, and a delicate one at that:

- as a way to get an extra activation

- an extra sniper to tease away those defense tokens

- a great objective ship

Feel the love for the CR flow through you...

This might change your mind on hating the CR90, and provide a very capable support ship.  I was certain that it wouldn't work, but until I asked, I could never be proven wrong.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/188754-im-probably-wrong-so-correct-me-on-this/

Edited by Corellian Corvette

I have 2 builds that I am looking forward to trying when my rebels arrive in the post:

CR90A, Tantive IV, Leia - Hangs around at the back and makes sure everyone has the correct token nearby.  I like including contingency planning in a list.

CR90B, overload Pulse, Raymus Antilles, accompanied by 2 B-wings.  Can potentially shut down a target's defence and then activate the B-wings to bomb the ship.  I came up with this as I want to use the farstar corvette 3rd party model, and want a corvette that can activate 2 squadrons.  I think that's how the rules work, and that I can do this  :ph34r:

I have 2 builds that I am looking forward to trying when my rebels arrive in the post:

CR90A, Tantive IV, Leia - Hangs around at the back and makes sure everyone has the correct token nearby.  I like including contingency planning in a list.

CR90B, overload Pulse, Raymus Antilles, accompanied by 2 B-wings.  Can potentially shut down a target's defence and then activate the B-wings to bomb the ship.  I came up with this as I want to use the farstar corvette 3rd party model, and want a corvette that can activate 2 squadrons.  I think that's how the rules work, and that I can do this  :ph34r:

When using the squad command, the command action is resolved before the ship attacks I believe so the bombers need to act before the ship attacks.

Squadron commands take effect before ship attacks, so this won't work.

Can we talk about how to use them effectively?  =)  

I for one have a hard time figuring out how to get them in close to do damage, and yet get them out unscathed.  

One thing I was thinking about was spending points to just get one as a 4th ship or in a smaller ship list, a 5th ship to control having more ships on the table.  So far... Its been a little clunky.  

Another is, is there a way to use a group of them?  How many in a mini swarm?  3?  4?  

Personally, I much prefer the one with red dice.  They're nice long range shots that do a little damage.  

Using more than 1 to get objectives I think is an easy way to lose:  The opponent just gets to concentrate on taking out whatever ships he gets close enough to out of the sky.  An opponent did this with me, I just blew everything he had up.  

Now, using 1 to gain tokens, I can see the reasoning, but most of these objectives, don't usually yield more than like 15 per token, or like 50 in a round, I think you're really barely making headway for the fact you spent 39 points minimum for that.  

--

Also, two evades are not so good at mid and close range.  =(  You can only use one each attack anyway, and honestly, this thing doesnt sustain fire well.  

Now, using 1 to gain tokens, I can see the reasoning, but most of these objectives, don't usually yield more than like 15 per token, or like 50 in a round, I think you're really barely making headway for the fact you spent 39 points minimum for that.  

Intel sweep is 75 points, which combined with the corvette itself means your opponent had a very hard time getting a sizable win at worst, and at best means you can avoid his big hitter and still get a 9 to 10 point victory. 

Can we talk about how to use them effectively?  =)  

I for one have a hard time figuring out how to get them in close to do damage, and yet get them out unscathed.

I was running one in my tournament list at the weekend, and got better use out of it later in the day when I changed my tactics with it a bit. Started out the day trying to chase ships, getting in line with them from behind. However that meant I'd be running fast (speed 4) to catch them, so if I activated first I'd have to over-shoot their ship. With a CR90a's red dice that might be ok (can hang back a bit further), but I had a CR90b with Dodonna's Pride. Last game I managed to bring it across the rear arc of a VSD at a right angle instead, taking shots as I passed then sweeping out wide. Pride put several crits onto the VSD and escaped basically unscathed.

It's fast enough to flank, so shouldn't be finding itself in any dangerous hull zones often if at all. You'll need to get close with it to fire, reducing your defence tokens, so make it somewhere you won't take many shots. Easier said than done, I know, but it seemed to be coming naturally towards the end of the tournament so seems to just take a bit of practice.

Squadron commands take effect before ship attacks, so this won't work.

Thanks.  I'll probably just try it with a couple of A-wings then, as they can keep up with a flanking corvette.