Sign in to follow this  
Sequal7

Beginner Game Holocrons

Note: this post will contain spoilers for both Mountaintop Rescue (the Beginner Game adventure) and its sequel Lure of the Lost.

I own both the Core Book and the Beginner Game and I am hoping to integrate them into a single campaign because I really like the valley the temple is set in. I think it would be an excelent home base for the PCs between other adventures. The issue I am having is that as soon as a PC that has read the core rules gets to the holocron at the end of the intro adventure, s/he is going to ask what skills it offers, and it isnt listed.

Within the context of the Begginer Game, this is fine because the prebuilt characters have limited advancement and simplified rules. The full game makes it more complex and gives rules for holocrons granting two class skills which weren't needed before. The issue is then complicated in Lure of the Lost by the introduction of two more holocrons and the revelations of their true purpose.

So what do I tell my PCs? It feels cheep to say that because of their additional functions, capabilities, and responsibilites these holocrons don't contain knowledge of applicable skills. Having all three offer the standard two skills is a bit ridiculous. I am leaning toward having each offer a single skill. But what skills should they offer?

Here are my current ideas, and I would appreciate feedback.

Curator: He is in charge of maintaining the temple, so I am leaing toward him teaching Mechanics.

Warden: She was in charge of defending the temple and one of the sidebars after retreiving her holocron has her teaching the characters how to build a lightsaber, so I think she could also teach the Lightsaber skill.

Jailor: This one is tricky. He was in charge of designing customized treatments to bring fallen Jedi back to the light. My first instinct is Negotiation or Discipline. Perhaps one of the other social skills.

My reading is that the Spintir holocrons as location-based NPCs. Their purpose isn't to be stashed in the party's pocket and carried around, but to be re-installed into the facility to guard it. To that end, I wouldn't give them any mechanical bonus.

Edited by Lorne

In the beginner game thread, we discussed integrating Lessons, Hidden, the Beginner adventure and Lure. Used in that combination the party gets one ancient holocron from Lessons and restores the temple with the other three. That way they retain one holocron from Lessons and the Curator, Jailer and Warden crons stay put as quest items. I agree with Lorne's reading that the three Temple holocrons should not be considered as party trinkets leaving only the Lessons holocron for player development.

In that order, the adventures create a very nice mini campaign.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/186606-tips-linking-lessons-from-the-past-hidden-depths-and-the-beginners-game/

Edited by shoes

I said the Gatekeeper and pretty much any holocron would act more like a mentor. Their whole purpose is to teach. A holocron that only teaches two skills just doesn't work for me.

Lorne's right in that the holocrons from Mountaintop Rescue and Lure of the Lost aren't meant to provide the same benefit as the beginner holocrons in the core rulebook.  If anything, the Beginner Box pre-gens all have the Mentor group resource in the form of Hethan Romund.

That being said, when I ran Mountaintop Rescue, I allowed the PCs to consider Discipline and Medicine as career skills due to the Caretaker (who called himself such, as I largely dispensed with Lure of the Lost in favor of my own adventure ideas) being there to help those at the temple heal their wounds, both physical and spiritual.  Of course, my group also didn't start with a typical starting group resource, instead being employees of a freelance archaeological research company named Errant Ventures Incorporates, which provides them with transport to where the next adventure's going to be and a fairly steady paycheck (something that was sorely lacking in the last FaD game I ran).

Perhaps you can shape each of the holocrons to be different career paths. This way your PCs have a more plausible way to learn near extinct force powers (trees) and lightsaber forms. Plus, each holocrons would be able to teach skills that your pcs may not actually get to practice.