Altahara

Tournament carrying options..

Ok. So I've seen a lot of threads about packaging options. And storage. But, what does everyone do in a tournament scene. Where you have to move from table to table?

Pack it all away, cookie sheet, or wha?

I've got two that I'm working on. As 'prototypes'. One is ready to show, but the other still needs stain :-) the one that is ready has a spot for large base size ships. But I want to test it with the battle for sullust ship when I can.

Right now I just use the lid from a box of office paper. It has a nice lip on the edges and works fine for tournaments. It doesn't quite carry my whole collection like it used to. But you can't beat the price. (free, if you have some boxes lying around)

EDIT: Wooden tray up there is beautiful though!

Edited by Boardy

I made myself small "Command Trays" that have cut slots for my Cards, Dials and Tokens to sit flat on. I'm able to then just place the ship model on them and carry those. On top of a small craft box that holds the Squadrons.

Ooooh, pictures please. :)

I have the Feldherr carrying case, and the slots for the ships are so easy to get things into and out of that I can just stash things back in there, plop it all back in the bag, and switch tables easily (if I have to switch).

I made myself small "Command Trays" that have cut slots for my Cards, Dials and Tokens to sit flat on. I'm able to then just place the ship model on them and carry those. On top of a small craft box that holds the Squadrons.

Ooooh, pictures please. :)

Only the planning Render right now...  

PlanRender.jpg

I prototyped them in Foamcore, so they're a bit Ugly, but work.

Still waiting for my Laser-Cut Acrylic versions to be properly priced...  I unfortunately submitted it as a non-priority request moments before two massive Oil drilling companies put down priority requests for laser-etched tags of some variety...

Alternatively, I could make them available from Shapeways, buuuut.  Y'know.  $55 each or so is just not worth it, even before I mark them up.  They're really not suited for 3D Printing.

Large Slot for a Flat Ship Card.  Enough room for 5 upgrade cards (row of 3, row of 2), then the Speed Dial, Command Dials, as well as a Ship ID Number slot, and a long enough slot for defense tokens, with room for fat fingers to pick up - and you can even lay command tokens in there with the extra room if you want.

That looks really cool. I'll be honest that and different wooden tokens is on my list for next.

I contemplated making the tray with a spot next to each ship for cards, but it ended up being too large in my opinion.

I made my trays to be a hair under 6" top to bottom...  That way, if I'm playing on a 4x6 table, I can put them down in front of me and they're not on the actual play area...  They're about 8" wide though, so when I'm playing at the Sentry Box, I can put them stacked vertically on the side table instead, where the tables used are only 3' wide.

Foldable? Like. Hinge in middle and locks open and closed? Hrmn... Totally doable. Let me look at it in my program.

You can do a 3 fold option. You need 3 hinges for that. It is split in the center which has a hinge on the towards the back side. Then the 2 sides are further split in half with hinges connecting them so that they fold up. It bulks it up a bit but it makes a tray capable of holding 4 medium ships and a few dozen fighters possible including all the dials needed.