Sign in to follow this  
Desslok

Horror game ideas for Halloween!

The players are being hired to smuggle a mysterious man and his boxes of "experimental earth" * to some planet.

While underway strange things start happening. Could it be their passenger is a Sith... or something worse?

* If you are thinking "Darth Dracula" you've read my mind. Bonus points if said sith looks like Christopher Lee.

But... If Darth Dracula looked like Christopher Lee... then... would it not be... Count Dookula?

Hmmm... undead Sith Lich Tyranus. Maybe an artifact or two: the Hand(s) of Tyranus and the Eye of Tyranus...

The players are being hired to smuggle a mysterious man and his boxes of "experimental earth" * to some planet.

While underway strange things start happening. Could it be their passenger is a Sith... or something worse?

* If you are thinking "Darth Dracula" you've read my mind. Bonus points if said sith looks like Christopher Lee.

But... If Darth Dracula looked like Christopher Lee... then... would it not be... Count Dookula?

Hmmm... undead Sith Lich Tyranus. Maybe an artifact or two: the Hand(s) of Tyranus and the Eye of Tyranus...

Darth Vecna! :D

I saw Lifeforce on the Sci-Fi Channel at 3am one summer when I was in high school. Good, terrible times.

Anyway, I decided to run a Spoopy Star Wars, but no time. Had this idea where it would be The Thing meets 13 Ghosts.

Yep.

Wait, what? That sounds awesome, but how would that work? Can the Thing see the ghosts?

So part of my annual Halloween viewing, I put on the Cannon Films classic Lifeforce, from Tobe Hooper. If 33% of my players had not been watching, I totally would have stolen it for a game:

Imagine the old Hammer film Quatermass and the Pit or the Pertwee Era Doctor Who but with eighties sensibilities (and way more boobs). Astronauts find three naked (and hawt) Space Vampires on Halley's Comet and accidentally bring them back to earth.  Then they have to run around London chasing the Hawt and Naked Space Vampire while she bones humans to death. And two hours later, her victims get up and bone other humans to death - and all this boning energy is being sucked up to the mothership inside the comet to resurrect the other Hawt Naked Space Vampires.

Okay, the story is a little batshit insane (a little?), but it's really good - and great gaming fodder. (Plus you get to see Patrick Stewart kiss a dude before his face explodes in a geyser of blood!) Would recommend!

Also the finale of the movie

Full on zombie apocalypse in London years before 28 days later did it.

Soundtrack is really awesome to.

Unseen enemies such as diseases creep me out. Maybe try something where the players are slowly turning into Rakghouls unless they find the serum in time while trapped a lab. Fill the lab with all kinds of dangers from your favorite horror movies. Also follow Stephen King's advice, if you can't scare them gross them out.

I always recommend the same thing when people ask for ideas for Halloween horror sessions for RPGs.

Listen to old horror radio shows or watch old horror anthology series that most of your players are probably unfamiliar with for ideas. Put a system setting spin on the idea presented and you are good to go.

Pretty easy to accomplish.

I saw Lifeforce on the Sci-Fi Channel at 3am one summer when I was in high school. Good, terrible times.

Anyway, I decided to run a Spoopy Star Wars, but no time. Had this idea where it would be The Thing meets 13 Ghosts.

Yep.

Wait, what? That sounds awesome, but how would that work? Can the Thing see the ghosts?

Nah, nah. Unlink them. It's too obvious to say, "The shapeshifter stored away on your ship because it knew you'd come to the abandoned temple on Yavin eventually, and THAT WAS WHERE IT NEEDED TO BE ALL ALONG!"

So, they get to the temple, the shapeshifter reveals itself as an animal they picked up prior to the game beginning (some set dressing, or the item they're smuggling, whatever). Now they have a blood thirsty monster, and meanwhile, they're in a Scooby Doo nightmare Sith temple full of Force ghosts, terantatek, kinrath, traps, and a strong dark side vergence.

Two bad things happening separately and coincidentally at the same time and place.

Traveller (double adventure 3) Death Station is a classic for a single session scary adventure. Easily adapted to any level of PC.

Essentially it's a lab station working on Combat drugs and sh*t goes sideways. The party has no idea what's going on except the station has gone dark for weeks (missed their monthly check in) and the staff are not responding to hails. Because the lab is working on illegal stuff all the info on it is false but really convincing, the first clue comes when they arrive and find it's shielded from scanners...

Obviously something went wrong with a batch of the Combat drug and the staff were affected, you can have that be anything you want, super Strength, weird Force abilities, whatever, just make it so that each one is different. They are also insane, driven that way either by the drug or by the fear of being punished for the horrible things they've done to the other staff to survive. The abilities manifest under stress so the PCs may meet a survivor who is perfectly okay and acting rational, then boom... 

None of this is particularly novel but it's a solid trope and I've run it a couple of times in Traveller and people love it, I'm planning on running it for my current SW group. The important part is to keep the Player's in the dark, both literally and figuratively, for as long a possible.

Things to help keep tech and Force abilities like Sense from giving too much away too soon:

All scanner and recording tech is affected by the anti-scanner/anti-hacking shielding (installed to counter corporate espionage), just have it burn out or become useless when they enter the station, but allow the PCs to find working gear or find and disable the generator later in the adventure.

Sense and such: At least one of the staff was Force Sensitive and the drug warped their abilities (latent or not) so that when a PC attempts to sense for life they get a massive and painful feedback of fear, stunning them, throw in gruesome images of cannibalism and such. Once they eliminate this particular threat it goes away.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traveller-Double-Adventure-3-Death-Station-Argon-GDW-FS-/371478246774

Edited by FuriousGreg

Has anyone here attempted a horror concept for a Starweird? I was thinking about trying an Alien-esque type scenario with my players being in hyperspace near Katarr (the planet Darth Nihilus ate like an afternoon snack) and either while in hyperspace or dropping out and boarding a derelict cruiser, finding one that would hunt them down for a majority of the session until they either kill it or escape.

This is from a campaign I ran, and could easily be ramped up for more spookiness.   

The PC's find themselves crash landed on a remote planet, devoid of heavy industry/civilization.   While trying to find a way to survive and get off the planet, they hear drumming sounds in the distance.  If they investigate, they will see a procession of people, carrying a platform on their shoulders.  On the platform, is a person, strung up by their four limbs (think the scene from King Kong, as they truss up the person for sacrifice).    The procession is far enough away that they have to track it through the wilderness, upon finding the entrance to a temple.   They find the person strung up, in what is clearly a very creepy and spooky altar/sacrifice room.   The person begs to be released, even though they don't know the language, it's obvious they want to be freed.    

If the PC's free the person, they end up unleashing a danger onto the world.   The ritual, is basically a way to keep an ancient sith ghost contained.  Every set amount of time (GM's discretion), the ghost is able to accumulate enough power to stir, and will eventually try and wreak havoc.   However if they give it a living vessel early enough in the cycle, it's instinctively is drawn to the vessel's life force.  However it's unable to break free from the confinement, and the vessel dies, forcing the spirit back into slumber again.    The PC's show up after the host has been possessed, and doing the Right Thing, end up screwing the pooch.   They now have a sith empowered Force sensitive running around, using dark alchemy and other forgotten powers to transform the local fauna into terrifying monstrosities, that are then unleashed upon the local population.

The PC's have to try and put the cork back onthe bottle, perhaps offering up some other sacrifice, or find a way to destroy the ghost forever.

Other ideas:

The players come across an abandoned ship, adrift in space.  As they enter it to search for possible salvage, they are attacked by the ship's systems.   Cobbled together, Frankenstein-esque robots (body parts of once living beings grafted in), shamble through the halls and attack any that board, seeing all as threats.   High pitched screams of pain and fury echo through the ship, causing the robots to freak out in reaction to it.   Turns out that a mad AI is in control, and had killed the entire crew.   They put the body parts onto the droids due to some software glitch, compelling the AI to still interact only with the crew, so they dressed up the droids as the crew.   

Eh, that's all I've got time for atm.

On 10/7/2016 at 6:54 PM, Robin Graves said:

You'll never look at ST the next generation the same way again...

You should watch Blunt Talk, if you never want to see Patrick Stewart the same way again  :D  

Seriously, that show is amazingly insane, and Patrick is eating up every second of it.

1 hour ago, Tweedledope said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but GM Dave wrote a one-shot adventure called "Ice Station Zulu." It's an awesome adventure involving a lot of fear checks and a rakghoul infestation.

Here's a link to the PDF.

Good one! We've discussed it in some other topic I think.

I've played it out with my group moving the place of the advenure from Hoth to Corfai and pairing it up with the Cold Comfort advenure from Shadow of the Broker series. This was great fun! we did not do it on Haloween, but have ran through it while spending a winter weekend break in a remote cottage in Finnish forrests... the atmosphere was just perfect. 

I would also recommend to look up Hoth ambient sounds on youtube for this one! 

On 10/7/2016 at 11:16 AM, Desslok said:

So part of my annual Halloween viewing, I put on the Cannon Films classic Lifeforce, from Tobe Hooper. If 33% of my players had not been watching, I totally would have stolen it for a game:

Imagine the old Hammer film Quatermass and the Pit or the Pertwee Era Doctor Who but with eighties sensibilities (and way more boobs). Astronauts find three naked (and hawt) Space Vampires on Halley's Comet and accidentally bring them back to earth.  Then they have to run around London chasing the Hawt and Naked Space Vampire while she bones humans to death. And two hours later, her victims get up and bone other humans to death - and all this boning energy is being sucked up to the mothership inside the comet to resurrect the other Hawt Naked Space Vampires.

Okay, the story is a little batshit insane (a little?), but it's really good - and great gaming fodder. (Plus you get to see Patrick Stewart kiss a dude before his face explodes in a geyser of blood!) Would recommend!

Dafuk?

Must see

Lifeforce is . . .  quite the movie. If Texas Chainsaw wasnt such a stone cold classic of the genre, I'd say that it was Tobe Hoopers best movie. Plus it has an insanely good and epic soundtrack from the Peter Gunn theme guy: