Sign in to follow this  
IG88E

My falcon got one-shotted by a Z95!

I know, the odds are not high for this, but it happened yesterday: My Han died in the first shootout by a Z95. Not a generic one of course, it was N'Dru.

N'Dru Suhlak: Opportunist, Glitterstim, Cluster Missiles.

I bumped into a generic enemy Z95, had no action. N'Dru got a double attack with 5 attack dice and a permanent focus by glitterstim. It was terrible for me (but it was still funny  :) ).

2x direct hit, 1x minor explosion (and one "thrust console fire", so he even died in stress :P ).

If I had survived, other Z´s were waiting to attack, but N'Dru did it single-handedly  :blink:

Han Solo: "Not a scratch, you said. You'd bring back the Falcon without a scratch on it."
Lando: "Well…nothing that's left on her is scratched. All the scratched parts got knocked off on the way and your ship exploded."

I forgot Wingman had a R1 restriction.  So there is no way to pop Glitterstim and Opportunist.  But N'dru still CAN one shot a Falcon, just not a named one :).  2x 4 dice clusters, with 2 direct hits will take care of those 4 shields and 6 hull.  Heck, it IS possible for him to 1 shot a named one as well, but you have to be extremely lucky (and put forth a bad build).  N'dru w/ CM and Opportunist can do it, 9 dice total, the first 5 take out the shields, the next 4 are all crits and each one is a direct hit... And the Falcon can't have an evade token or C3PO, or roll any evades.

Yeah....that is not possible at all, at least legally. 

Opportunist only triggers off one of the cluster shots.

You can't trigger opportunist if you're already stressed by the Glitterstim.

(Almost more importantly, why would anyone run opportunist on N'Dru anyways?) 

In order to have set up the bump for Han to have been bumped by an enemy Z, and then N'Dru to still have a legal cluster shot (range 1-2 of the target) while his ability still triggered (outside range 1-2 of all friendly ships) is incredibly unlikely.  Possible, yes, but you'd have to really have some ballsy confidence in your positioning skills to set that shot up perfectly.

That's 3 likely ways this doesn't add up, at least within the realm of rules.  If misplayed completely, yeah...even then that's very statistically unlikely.  That's a perfect 5 for 5 on the first shot to completely strip the shields.  Then AT LEAST a 4 crit situation on the second shot where all of the crits is either a direct hit or a minor explosion that also triggers the second damage.  Sorry buddy, that's just not gonna happen unless you have a dice roll that has a 0.0244% chance at happening plus having the damage deck stacked perfectly in your favor where all those crits do double damage.  Just pulling the simple solution of 4 consecutive direct hits has a likelihood of around 0.08%.  So....yeah....  And you also mentioned that you only pulled 3 double damage crits, which means you should have had life left.  5 shields + 8 hull.  You would have had 1 hull point left.

Now, with all that said, I've been running N'Dru + Lonewolf + Cluster + Glitterstim for a while.  That Cluster Missile attack is definitely awesome as all get out, for sure.  I ran this plus 3 unhinged TLT Thugs at a small local event Labor Day weekend and proceeded to do 24 damage over the course of 4 games with those cluster missiles.  Super awesome, but my goal in game 4 was to one shot a TLT Ywing, even knowing that was fairly statistically unlikely.  I've dealt 7 damage twice (once on a Y, the other on a Miranda), but haven't achieved the full oneshot monty on anything with 8 HP yet.  That's also with Lonewolf rerolls, plus the super focus from Glitterstim.  Very potent and fun, but no way in hell are you ever going to one shot a Falcon with it.  Cripple it?  Yes, that's very possible.  Destroy it?  Not without the TLT support fire following up.  Even that's gonna take a really good run of red dice to accomplish.  Hell, not only that, but running Lonewolf well is one of the most difficult upgrades to run well.  It takes a lot of skill to know how to keep that range from all your friendlies while still maintaining peak efficiency in the process.  The TLT Thugs are the best way to do that and it's what gives my list potential. 

Edited by barn34

Wingman doesn't synergize with Ndru. Sounds like this one can be chalked up to not remembering what all those upgrades and pilot skills can actually do.

I'm curious though if I can come up with a scenario where a z can one shot a falcon...

N'Dru with Opportunist and Cluster Missiles, yeah.  First attack is five dice, all hits/crits go through leaving the Falcon with 7 or 8 hull left depending on crits.  Second four dice attack, all dice hit and either three or four Direct Hit!s or successful Minor Explosions.

So yes, it's possible, if incredibly unlikely.

Wingman doesn't synergize with Ndru. Sounds like this one can be chalked up to not remembering what all those upgrades and pilot skills can actually do.

I'm curious though if I can come up with a scenario where a z can one shot a falcon...

N'Dru with Opportunist and Cluster Missiles, yeah.  First attack is five dice, all hits/crits go through leaving the Falcon with 7 or 8 hull left depending on crits.  Second four dice attack, all dice hit and either three or four Direct Hit!s or successful Minor Explosions.

So yes, it's possible, if incredibly unlikely.

Yes but it seems the unlikely part happens a lot in this game. 3 consecutive 3 dice attacks = 9 blanks. Or 4 rounds of defense throwing no evades. Or rolling for rock damage 5 times in one game and taking no damage. The last one made me happy. The first two not so much.

OMG! Did he cheated (unintentionally)!? No there was no wingman (and if yes, it wouldn´t work because of range 1, then N'Dru would loose his ability). How this could be happened

I think you could possibly chalk it up to "over-excitement". He may have thought he got you right in the sweet spot then started looking at his cards for more options.

I can just see him quickly going over the cards "Two cluster attacks at 3 dice, N'Dru adds another, and Opportunist adds another because you've got no focus or evade tokens. So that's two 5 dice attacks and Gltterstim changes all my focus to hits. Let's roll!"

Made the classic mistake of not reading the cards thoroughly.  <_<

Edited by Parravon

It happens to everyone, where a card ability seems op.

I had a friend who insisted C3PO go off every attack, and even if no dice were rolled. Had to correct that. Hell. I don't even think it should be allowed to guess 0.

Really though, this sort of thing happens. I mean look at Alderaan, death star one shotted their world.

I've had a pre-autothrusters Turd Furgusson one shotted at range 5 by a corvette.

Edited by DariusAPB