Sign in to follow this  
mouthymerc

Interesting Stormtrooper Graphic

Those are neat graphics, but where did they get that the original armor was 90 freaking pounds? The clones don't seem to have much issues moving around in it based on the movies.

Well you have to remember they were trained in that gear, so it looks like it's not a problem for them.

It's interesting to see the different armor decals.

Those are neat graphics, but where did they get that the original armor was 90 freaking pounds? The clones don't seem to have much issues moving around in it based on the movies.

90 lbs isn't that much when you're wearing it...

An armored combatant in the 1400s had between about 60 to 110 pounds of steel on his head and body, and they could still move around pretty decently... add to that the high-tech construction and you can easily see how they could wear it without it looking "heavy"

Well you have to remember they were trained in that gear, so it looks like it's not a problem for them.

It's interesting to see the different armor decals.

That doesn't actually explain where the number came from.

90 lbs isn't that much when you're wearing it...

An armored combatant in the 1400s had between about 60 to 110 pounds of steel on his head and body, and they could still move around pretty decently...

Yup. When I was in the DC area, the group I was with [in the SCA] was heavily involved in doing demos out in front of the Smithsonian Museum. A number of guys were out there doing things like somersaults and all other sorts of gymnastics, while wearing full plate armor.

These same guys were not allowed to go into the museum while wearing the armor, because the guards would never be able to tell what was a modern recreation and what was the actual historical armor on display.

When I went into the museum wearing street clothes, I spent most of my time looking at the back and inside of the armor on display, because I wanted to see how they put the stuff together back then, and how they had it fastened.

It’s amazing what you can do if the armor is made well, fits well, and is attached properly to your body.

Edited by bradknowles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q

and these guys most certainly aren't highly trained bad-ass clones, and that armor weighs more than 90 lbs...

Also, I use to spend a fair amount of time in plate armor, and while it certainly isn't light, a well fitting, well made suit of armor really isn't that bad to move around in...

I have worn 90 pounds of plate armor. Not a big deal. tires you out faster. does not really impede you. 

Edited by Daeglan

I think some of the estimates of plate armor weights here are a little high, perhaps double. Don't look at just ONE website article but read several and the estimate of a full set of plate armor is more like 35-50 pounds. The later gunpowder age led to much heavier armor, but I don't think medieval man was doing cartwheels in the 100 pound stuff. For example, jousting armor was around 100 pounds. I don't think that was the stuff the typical knight wore into combat. We must also remember that we are larger and stronger then our middle age ancestors. A 200 pound man with much more protein in his diet is going to have less problems with that 90 pound armor then a much lighter, shorter, less well fed, soldier of the middle ages.

I run around in 40+ pounds of armor and gear during monthly training. Attempting a carthweel in it would be ridiculous, but it is NOT spread out like plate armor (torso heavy), I don't have Jango's genes, and my physical training is far from that of a clone warrior. Someone who wears that weight spread out and wears it almost daily? Sure they could be very mobile in it. Double that weight, put it on a super-soldier clone who has been wearing it all day for most of his life? I don't have a problem with it at all. It could be done.

I also though would like to see the source of "90 pounds". Steel, middle ages plate suits were more typically half of that weight. Futuristic laminate armor should be much, much lighter.

Edited by Sturn

Well offhand source I see Wookieepedia listing the armor a "Just under 40 kg" so in the 88 lbs area... Of course that's Legends section, the Canon section essentially says "clone troopers wore armor."

I would like to know where Wookiee got it, I'd assume one of the Visual Derptionaries, though the way Wookiee gets I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it comes from a watermark scribble on the Empire at War box art...

I think some of the estimates of plate armor weights here are a little high, perhaps double. Don't look at just ONE website article but read several and the estimate of a full set of plate armor is more like 35-50 pounds. The later gunpowder age led to much heavier armor, but I don't think medieval man was doing cartwheels in the 100 pound stuff. For example, jousting armor was around 100 pounds. I don't think that was the stuff the typical knight wore into combat. We must also remember that we are larger and stronger then our middle age ancestors. A 200 pound man with much more protein in his diet is going to have less problems with that 90 pound armor then a much lighter, shorter, less well fed, soldier of the middle ages.

I run around in 40+ pounds of armor and gear during monthly training. Attempting a carthweel in it would be ridiculous, but it is NOT spread out like plate armor (torso heavy), I don't have Jango's genes, and my physical training is far from that of a clone warrior. Someone who wears that weight spread out and wears it almost daily? Sure they could be very mobile in it. Double that weight, put it on a super-soldier clone who has been wearing it all day for most of his life? I don't have a problem with it at all. It could be done.

I also though would like to see the source of "90 pounds". Steel, middle ages plate suits were more typically half of that weight. Futuristic laminate armor should be much, much lighter.

Depends on the suit the size of the person, quality of the construction etc. I have worn 90 pound plate. and wearing armor and picking up armor is different. A well made tailors suit will weigh less than a lower quality inferior suit. There is a LOT of variation in weight and quality and tailoring.