Sign in to follow this  
Corellian Corvette

Lets Have a 400 Point Tournament as a Send-Off to Wave One!

No new cards it is!  We can go old school! :D

Now, we just need to set up this pods format.

And decided on what to do with lists.

I was thinking:

• Option One:  Everyone has one list that they make to use through-out the whole thing.
  • Option Two:  You make one list to get through the pods, and you can then tweak/refine your list before moving onto the final few games
  • Option Three:  You make 2 lists, a Red and a Blue variant or something.  Before starting a game, you both place down a red or a blue objective card, and flip them/reveal them at the same time.  If you chose a red objective card, you have your red list, blue for blue list, simple.

Also, need to hammer out pods format, how many per pod, and do we have it where you fight everyone or just have a mini tourney in the pods?

And when you make it out of pods, do you get put in a bracket, or a larger pod?  Like, if their were 3 North American pods of 6 each, after they all fight each other in their own pods, do you take the top 2 winners and place them all in another pod of 6 and they all fight each other again (with the winner facing off against the Europe/Australian winner or something)?

I guess that format would be considered a regionals-->nationals-->worlds or something like that.

But I can tell you already that it would be a lot of armada, so we might not want that system.

Speak up!  What are you looking for in a tournament as a player!  Give Feedback!  Give Suggestions!

No new cards it is! We can go old school! :D

I was thinking:

• Option One: Everyone has one list that they make to use through-out the whole thing.
  • Option Two: You make one list to get through the pods, and you can then tweak/refine your list before moving onto the final few games
  • Option Three: You make 2 lists, a Red and a Blue variant or something. Before starting a game, you both place down a red or a blue objective card, and flip them/reveal them at the same time. If you chose a red objective card, you have your red list, blue for blue list, simple.
Also, need to hammer out pods format, how many per pod, and do we have it where you fight everyone or just have a mini tourney in the pods?

And when you make it out of pods, do you get put in a bracket, or a larger pod? Like, if their were 3 North American pods of 6 each, after they all fight each other in their own pods, do you take the top 2 winners and place them all in another pod of 6 and they all fight each other again (with the winner facing off against the Europe/Australian winner or something)?

I guess that format would be considered a regionals-->nationals-->worlds or something like that.

But I can tell you already that it would be a lot of armada, so we might not want that system.

Speak up! What are you looking for in a tournament as a player! Give Feedback! Give Suggestions!

my closing thoughts on the pods, we have 4-6 players per pod depending on total number of players.

-Within each pod there should be 3 rounds.

-round 1 random pairing

-round 2&3 split up into closest points but play different people just like a normal tournament (so #1 plays #2 unless they have played all ready in which case #1 &3 play etc)this also means that Pods of 4 play everyone

-after the pods play I think we should have a 4th(and maybe a 5th)"open" round where everyone is paired according to points and mov to determine final standings

Edited by clontroper5

No new cards it is! We can go old school! :D

I was thinking:

• Option One: Everyone has one list that they make to use through-out the whole thing.
  • Option Two: You make one list to get through the pods, and you can then tweak/refine your list before moving onto the final few games
  • Option Three: You make 2 lists, a Red and a Blue variant or something. Before starting a game, you both place down a red or a blue objective card, and flip them/reveal them at the same time. If you chose a red objective card, you have your red list, blue for blue list, simple.

And when you make it out of pods, do you get put in a bracket, or a larger pod? Like, if their were 3 North American pods of 6 each, after they all fight each other in their own pods, do you take the top 2 winners and place them all in another pod of 6 and they all fight each other again (with the winner facing off against the Europe/Australian winner or something)?

Speak up! What are you looking for in a tournament as a player! Give Feedback! Give Suggestions!

my closing thoughts on the pods, we have 4-6 players per pod depending on total number of players.

-Within each pod there should be 3 rounds.

-round 1 random pairing

-round 2&3 split up into closest points but play different people just like a normal tournament (so #1 plays #2 unless they have played all ready in which case #1 &3 play etc)this also means that Pods of 4 play everyone

-after the pods play I think we should have a 4th(and maybe a 5th)"open" round where everyone is paired according to points and mov to determine final standings

I agree with this, it would seem to keep with the regular tournament spirit while still helping with time zone issues. I would also say go with a single fleet build throughout. All other tournaments follow this and don't think now is the time to change.

Sure Id be up for it.

How about a tourney where players get access to all the ship titles and heroes, but can only use them once.

So, each match will be regular 400 pts, but if they use paragon in game one and it dies, they can no longer use paragon. Similarly, if you lose a hero like Fel, you cannot use him again. 

I wish i could Vassal. There seems to be something with my eyes that makes me utterly incapable of estimating distances on it. Absolutely no idea why, and i've been trying for ages. It's odd since in RL i can estimate extremely accurately.

Needless to say, makes it rather tough to win games!

I would like to participate, but it depends a bit, when we start. Please in 2-3 weeks when galactic cup is over and pls 2 weeks for each game with the same format like the galactic open cup on team covenant.

I'm down, and also vote for no new cards. Wave 1 only.  

Also, if we did it like last time or did it in pods, we are still going to have the problem of people who can only play on weekends/after certain hours/only after a certain date because school/work/family/etc etc.  I would strongly suggest whoever runs it stress that signing up for one of these is a commitment to your other competitors, and as such impose harsh penalties on players who do not finish their games on time (obviously the player making the effort would not be penalized). 

My .02.

-Fel

I'm down, and also vote for no new cards. Wave 1 only.

Also, if we did it like last time or did it in pods, we are still going to have the problem of people who can only play on weekends/after certain hours/only after a certain date because school/work/family/etc etc. I would strongly suggest whoever runs it stress that signing up for one of these is a commitment to your other competitors, and as such impose harsh penalties on players who do not finish their games on time (obviously the player making the effort would not be penalized).

My .02.

-Fel

while I see where you are comming from I don't think this is enforceable because most of the time when players don't finish a game it is because they have nearly opposite schedules not that they are not trying. Like you have both trying to play but 1 is busy Monday wedsnday Friday while the other is busy Tuesday Thursday Saturday so they are unable to play. At the end I think what we did last time (5-5 draw) is the most fair.

And if you disagree ands think it is more important just remember that these vassal tournaments are super casual (as in the GRAND prize is literally bragging rights, maybe a picture that says "good job your a winner!") And it really doesn't matter who ends up winning its more just for fun and to allow everyone new/different experience

Edited by clontroper5

Yes!  This is the kind of discussion and feedback that I want! :D

Keep the debate/discussion going, what fundamential differences does an Online format have over a store 1 day locaton, and what are some of the drawbacks that we need to account for?

I am probably missing some, but we have covered others already.  I'll contribute my own ideas tonight once I am done with lectures and labs today.

Might I suggest as part of the sign up process, we have players post their general availability hours in GMT. Sometimes time zones won't tell the whole story. For example, I'm in Arizona, but as a dad and an Army officer, I can't really do after 2200 local. However, that works out well with someone who stays up later on the east coast.

Might I suggest as part of the sign up process, we have players post their general availability hours in GMT. Sometimes time zones won't tell the whole story. For example, I'm in Arizona, but as a dad and an Army officer, I can't really do after 2200 local. However, that works out well with someone who stays up later on the east coast.

good point I was thinking the same thing :)

Anyway sign up thread posted any additional changes and thoughts should be posted here soon