Sign in to follow this  
player676614

Building a Hutt Crimeboss

Hi I am really interested in building a Hutt Crime boss, but I am unsure of which careers and specializations to start with.

Colonist Entrepreneur looks like a good starting point.

Thoughts and help guys on building a mini Jabba.

Thanks

So, Jabba is an NPC. The rules for building NPCs are totally different from the rules for building PCs.

If you want to build a PC that could ultimately one day be equivalent to Jabba, that’s a really hard task. Hutts are very long-lived, and are generally presumed to have a wide variety of skills and talents, so you could really start just about anywhere.

One way to start would be to look at the existing Hutt NPCs in the game and try to work backwards to determine a likely path for them, based on what we know of the Hutts from Wookieepedia, the movies, The Clone Wars animated series, etc….

From there, you have to work out what you think Jabba would look like as an NPC, and do the same.

You could suggest this for an upcoming “You Build the Character” contest. ;)

How long term is this? In my experience building a crime lord PC takes time and you may not have the kind of time it would take to get to Jabba like levels of crime lordyness. I think the first question that needs to be answered is what kind of crime are you interested in? I know you said mini Jabba but Jabba has his fingers in a lot of pies (as is fitting for a crime lord) so in order to help build a crime lord PC you'd first need to decide how you want to start your career in crime. 

Kael that is my question, thats exactly what Im looking for help doing. ;)

We really can't answer that for you. A crime lord who builds his status on killing things is going to be very different than the crime lord who built their status in biological weapons. You kinda need to narrow down what kind of crime you're interested in doing before people can truly help you narrow down careers. 

Edit: It's worth pointing out that even the guy who built his status on killing things is going to produce different builds based on their methods. There is going to be a world of difference between the guy who uses droids and tech savvy to dispatch his targets and the guy who wades into personal combat with his targets. 

Edited by Kael

I get the impression your looking for a social PC, who gets others to do the dirty work. Probably knows a lot of people and is himself very intelligent, after all the smart ones are the ones that end up in the lead.

Let's go through the stats:

Strength, just stick with the base that's plenty.

Agility, don't bother with this, eventually 3 or 4 ranks in ranged Light can get you out of trouble.

Intelligence, probably need a 3 here to reduce need to spend on Knowledge skills, giving the character a natural ability that they never need to enhance with training until later on.

Cunning, if you want to be Deceptive and Streetwise then get this up.

Willpower, Jabba is very strong willed, hard to deceive, so this could be your primary stat. But 3 is fine to start with

Presence, if you want to be a Hot Negotiator and Leader then bump this up.

Basically your going to need to choose between Int, Cun & Pres to decide 2 that you will lift to 3, depending on your Character goals.

Now for Career, you could go down a couple of paths, and all will ultimately require multiple talent trees:

Combining Explorer Trader with the Enforcer spec makes for an incredibly intimidating negotiator, great in the underworld and tough as nails especially in social encounters, you could combine with Entrepreneur in a long campaign to show the characters growing connections and fingers in pies.

Colonist Entrepreneur with Politico would also be a crazy social combination covering lots of social and knowledge skills as well as the business side of being crime boss.

If you have access to the AoR CRB and the Diplomat book then there are 3 very cool Specs there that could compliment you concept; the Agitator combined with Enforcer is great in the underworld and with Coercion/Deception, the Quartermaster is a great Negotiator and combines very well with Entrepreneur (7 ranks of Sound Investments between them!), the Advocate is a great combination of Negotiator and Deciever and when combined with Politico becomes a great thematic character.

Hope these ideas help

Edited by Richardbuxton

Two approaches that might work involve Hired Gun's Enforcer or Diplomat's Advocate (from the AoR line). The first is for a Hutt that's still down in the trenches and doesn't mind doing some of the dirty work personally, the second is more for a power behind the throne (for now...) character looking to rise up the ranks.

ever since I saw the trader spec I loved the idea of making an Information Trader, so instead of selling goods, your selling info. Now depending on what Specs come out for Bounty Hunter there are some good paths to follow.

You could become the slimiest dude in town with the Entrepreneur (think "that Hutt would sell out his own parents if it made him a couple of credits").

Or you could be the guy who just knows where everything is, and will tell you for some credits, with the Fringer.

Third option is the Archiologist, with this you become the guy to see about locating and identifying old stuff, or even procurement of it (also the brawl stuff synergies well with the brawn of a hut ).

Forth option is the luckiest Infochant in the galaxy, by combining with the Gambler. For a Back Alley info dealer there's the Trader Scoundrel combination, relay maximising the underworld connection.

To become the knowledge Trader then branch out to either Scholar or Analysts.

For a Socialite who mixes with the high and mighty then pick up the Politico, Ambassador or Advocate trees, all work well depending on the demeanour you want your PC to have.

The next option I had in mind was the Agitator Trader, who sells misinformation and deceit, but always gets away with it.

For the Breaking Bad Hutt combine with either Doctor or Scientist.

My final suggestion is a bit more work, requiring GM/Player buy in and also the right kind of campaign. In our game we have taken the Duty mechanic and applied it to The Black Suns instead of the Rebellion, making for an edge themed AoR game. If your group where interested in doing something similar then your Gang could be the thing you owe Duty to. In which case there are a couple of AoR Specs that would work very well, in particular the Diplomat Propagandist and Quartermaster are great, one is talking up your Gang and selling their services, whilst the other is ensuring they the Gang has everything it needs.

I love the cool character themes (obviously!) that 1 single Spec can become simply by combining it with other specs. I mean I didn't go down the Spy path, but your Hutt could be getting the info directly. Or the Tech path where he is selling either knowledge of where certain illegal tech can be acquired and how to improve it (Outlaw Tch), sells their Slicing skills (Slicer), or simply runs a speeder/swoop/Droid/Ship shop (Mechanic or Rigger).

I might suggest Charmer, if you were going to be very social, specifically Presence-based, otherwise, a Politico/Entrepreneur would combine Presence and Coercion with the kinds of money-gathering that the crime lord would probably be doing