Netrunner has cycles, but it's not as frequent.

All LCGs have rotation and cycles.

Lord of the Rings does not.

Okay all active COMPETITIVE LCGs. LotR is kind of all by it's lonesome. 

Edited by Toqtamish

Netrunner has cycles, but it's not as frequent.

Stars have cycles, and lifetimes... just not in a way that matters to anything else...

Except for that one civilization that happens to be nearby right at the end, LOL!

But I totally get your meaning. Still, Netrunner just recently got a huge BALANCING BLOW for the competitive tournament scene with several staple cards receiving what is essentially errata to add a new deck building cost or "limit" if you will. We shall see how THAT all shakes out.

Oups we did it again. *looking down at W40k*

The #1 seed is L5R's. That's fore sure.

Don't use FFG LCG forums traffic as a measurement. Most LCGs discussion is not done on these boards. 

This, To be honest I think there are a lot of people who vastly overestimate the resilience of the l5r playerbase.  It was an aging playerbase that was developing alternate hobbies and responsibilities years ago, and I really don't think that has changed.

I believe that L5R will become FFG's number one LCG as soon as early 2018, a few months after its release. The community is so huge, so loyal, so dedicated, and so excited about all this. It is going to garner not only the current L5R players, but those who played the game at some point of their life, and a lot of new players.

I was a beta tester for L5R in the 90's as I was acquainted with a couple of artists in the Bay Area. I played the game for 4 years and love it, went to the first L5R convention and acquired a nice collection during that time but ultimately could not get past the turn off due to rarity. I was fortunate to sell off my collection for more than I had put into it and focus my gaming interests elsewhere. Flash forward to 2015. Imagine my surprise when I hear that this game that I adored was coming back as a LCG. I cannot wait. there are 9 people from my current gaming group that left CCG's as well for this same reason but who play Netrunner, Doomtown and the like today. They also eagerly await stepping back into the lore and majesty of Rokugan without the rarity BS.

Purely anecdotal evidence but, as a player that was sitting off what eventually was to be the final "cycle" of the game and remaining in contact with many other L5R ex-players that had left the game even earlier, it seems to me the L5R CCG is poised to tap a huge pool of players. While all the talk of the toxicity of the community duirng the last years is, at least partly, true; it's not less true that this toxicity feed off AEG's continued mismanagement of the game which, in turn, feed off of the desire of isolate themselves from said toxicity, closing themselves in an ever-disminishing inner circle of sycophancy that, against all evidence, keep (and still keeps) claiming that L5R was better than ever. But that's another discussion entirely.

This mismanagement, perceived or real, is what caused many players to abandon the game in its first place. For them that AEG no longer owns the game is a poweful point for because they loved and still love L5R; they had come to despise the company. Also, the change to a LCG format (I guess I don't need to preach to the choir here) is another huge point in its favour, almost eliminating the initial hurdle to get into the game. This was also a problem for new players that were interested in the game but were unwilling to invest in a CCG. Finally, much like ex-players, retailers will be way more happy to deal with FFG than with AEG, who had burned a lot of bridges with their direct-to-player sets and other fiascos.

Does this mean that L5R will be #1? May be, may be not. But consider that Netrunner is now a succesful game that had remained dead for (twenty?) years, and it uses a completely new setting, Meanwhile, L5R will have only stopped for a couple of years. (I mean, seasons of Sherlock have had even bigger gaps between them.) I mean, Android Netrunner player base practically started from zero (most actual players probably had never played the original and, at most, had heard good things about it) and it was still a big success. L5R LCG, on the other hand, has a much better starting position in terms of brand recognition and existing playerbase, even if we lose some during the gap... (I mean, why even if for the same cost that it cost to keep up with L5R CCG expansions in terms of playsets, you can keep with around 3 LCGs). You are only going to lose those players that you'd lose anyway from natural attrition anyways, meanwhile you stand to win many of those players who were disatisfied with AEG, plus those who were potential players but wouldn't invest in a CCG.

So, yes, I honesly think that, barring a too drastic redesing that makes L5R gameplay and story unrecognizable to players, it will easily do even better than Netrunner.

Netrunner had 20 years for people to forget the aspects of it and community members they disliked.  L5r is going to have 1.5 years, not nearly long enough.

There're plenty of people who left CCG 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. I mean anybody who still likes card games of any kind and had contact with L5R during last 20 years is potential Core Set buyer.

Edited by kempy

The gap is not a feature, it is a bug. As for the L5R community, you have to consider that the current (or at least current until the IP sale announcement) is insignificant besides the target community composed of ex-players (that wouldn't give the game a chance under a AEG) and new players (that would never give a traditional CCG a chance) that are waiting in the wings. By the end it was composed only of the hardcases locked in their own echo chamber. They may join the new version of the game, or they may not. But what will make the game will be the new blood.

You were right in the previous post refering to the "aging playerbase". That was a problem. Sticking, against all reason, to the traditional CCG release format was what caused this aging and eventually killed the game. If the CCG format was hard for current players (it only resisted this long because we "knew no better": the cycling of the basic sets that had you rebuying 90% of the game every two years, and buying expansion sets by random display boosters every 4 months, it was an absurd proposition for lapsed or brand new players. The size of the investment for a reasonable comitment to the game was too high.

The LCG format opens a brand new scenario, and that has nothing to do with the amount of years since the last. Frankly, do you really think FFG was waiting for the classic Netrunner players to die of old age? Was there ever a significant community, or it rather died after the first expansion because there was none to speak off? No, somebody saw a potential for the game made a business proposal (that had some rather complicated ramifications because of the different commpanies involved) and I honestly doubt nobody asked if enough time had passed?  Returning to L5R, there still will be some hardcases, but the floodgates open to the new blood and soon the hardcase will discover they have no longer the clout they had with the designers and are at the same level as everybody else. They will either adapt to the new statu quo (hopefully) or they will go away.

Netrunner had 20 years for people to forget the aspects of it and community members they disliked.  L5r is going to have 1.5 years, not nearly long enough.

There're plenty of people who left CCG 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. I mean anybody who still likes card games of any kind and had contact with L5R during last 20 years is potential Core Set buyer.

EXACTLY.

That's sort of where I am coming from. I got in the first big CCG explosion of the 90s, with SWCCG. So, I was aware of L5R, even if I never got into it. Much like Netrunner. And I jumped into Netrunner when it was announced. I am keeping an eye on L5R for similar reasons. 

Judging from their other success I am confident that FFG will do a good job of reimagining L5R.

They have a particular incentive to make it successful in that it will actually be their own IP unlike most of their other systems where they can be at the mercy of a licensor (though it is unlikely I have seen it in the past with other companies - that's what buried the wonderful Babylon 5 CCG). I doubt they would make the investment in purchasing the IP outright unless they were dedicated to making it work over the long term.

I think that the gap between reboots is not important because Netrunner is a fantastic game and can stand by itself, currently by far the best LCG IMHO. How good L5R will be after the reboot, that remains to be seen..

I am an old player of the L5R CCG, I started playing when Spirit Wars set hit the stores.

I got DEEP into it and became an AEG tournament organizer all through Gold and Diamond Edition.

Then I stopped. I know the game changed and morphed over the years following.

But what I know now is, I will be buying at least the FFG L5R core set.

I hope it rocks.

May I point out that the L5R boards' messages have almost reached the numbers of the AGOT 2 boards' ones...

L5R LCG is going to be huge, if FFG doesn't mess with it, which I don't expect them to.

I really hope L5R is going to be huge and on par with AGOT + Netrunner (or better!) as it looks like an amazing game with a beautifully created lore.

However, board messages on the FFG community forums aren't the most accurate barometer of this, as most of the LCG discussions/content/community are in the cardgame.db, Facebook groups (AGOT LCG 2nd Edition + Netrunner Geeks), and other assorted websites (AGOTcards.com + stimhack.com). 

Edited by keekohmygod

We are in the first 1/3 of 20`16 and I am slowly losing interest in L5R.  If we could get a once a month Art or game concept I would find it easier to get to 2017

Edited by HidaYagimaki

We are in the first 1/3mof 20`16 and I am slowly losing interest in L5R.  If we could get a once a month Art or game concept I would find it easier to get to 2017

They have at least 150+ pictures from The Blackest Storm not to mention other painted stuff like Strongholds from Onyx etc. So they could at least show one of them with a note. :D