In order to keep hype and buzz going, you need periodic releases of something. The longer you wait between products, sneak peeks, and extra materials - the worse. That's why many RPG books that were successfull in their first release had much less going on for them when their second book arrived - if it was a year or more after core rulebook happened, lots of people lost the interest because they either created their own home rules, or found another new game to be interested in. 

On the other hand, continued success of stuff like Pathfinder heavily depends on the fact that they are punching out stuff on a very reliable, periodic basis - you have Adventure Paths that are always waiting for you and keep you invested, you have new books that are constantly teased and offered as playtests, and generally, *stuff is happening* keeping your attention.

There are some ways for FFG to keep hype alive:

- supporting old formats somehow in organised play. Not a lot of hope for this.

- supporting RPG somehow; I don't think that they will support 4th Edition, simply because it would feel weird to support another company's game instead of making your own. But crafting good adventure modules and releasing them monthly would be very good - it keeps the hype alive somehow, and allows them to experiment with the worldbuilding and check how they feel with newly purchased aesthetics; also, L5R RPG desperately needed premade adventures because many new people simply didn't had an idea how to run the game and struggled with constructing their own adventures. I really liked Corebook Adventure from 4th Edition, and Heroes of Rokugan also were a goldmine of good modules.

- putting out L5R related materials; fictions would be easiest, but also probably least exciting and eye catching for new players. Something like short animation, a 2-3 page comic strip, or simply releasing some art on consistent basis would be great.

Personally, I would love to see some animated L5R, even if it's something random like a minute and a half iaijutsu duel, or a ninja assasination attempt. 

There is also of course option of letting it go under and just relaunching the game in 2017, with some fanfare to catch people. 

EDIT

This board desperately need some subforums. It's very hard to check stuf here because topics are flooding and visibility is low. Also, I want RPG subforum to start talking about stuff we dropped at AEG's forum :P.

Edited by WHW

It really depends on what FFG does with L5R.  I don't think the game will be bad, but I'm sure the part of the L5R fanbase that returns to the game will depend on what they do to the game.  Its unrealistic to think they will garner in all of the old community.  For all we know, L5R might be a completely different game come its release. 

Great. Now I wanna see Unicorn vs Dothraki...

Bayushi Kashiko vs Danerys Stormborn...

and Night's watch vs Shadowlands!

* creates a Gate (like the one in the anime)

* places said gate right in the middle of the North wall facing the Shadowland side at the time of the Shadowlands fleeing Kalima.

- the horse-peoples end their fight in a draw and unite to fight together

- Bayushi Kashiko wins on experience and sheer levels of subterfuge

- the Night's watch is shoved aside and the Shadowlands hordes pour through the gate.

If at the same time, through the same gate, the blue eyed undead of AGoT walk through this gate and end up in front of the Crab, the Crab win.

But I might be biased in the latter ;)

Edited: spelling

I can only imagine very happy Kuni shuggies as the White Walkers stride past the gate, as well as very happy Crab Berserkers.

That or we teleport Hida Kisada and his last honor guard right into the middle of White Walker army. * wonders if the same spell works against zombiefication but it should work...

Yeah it is actuall work to keep up with all the new posts when I wake up. 

I have issues with compulsive checking.  I'm hoping the posting levels out a little bit so I don't go insane.

Yeah it is actuall work to keep up with all the new posts when I wake up. 

I have issues with compulsive checking.  I'm hoping the posting levels out a little bit so I don't go insane.

As long as the few threads I start will go hot, everything is fine... but It feels like everytime I start a new thread liek the whole forum is slowing down and nobody is answering. Guess in the end it it is all just about perception. Anyway, the most important part is we should be stressful about being here, but enjoy the very extented pre-launch party we can make here! ^_^

I think it will be at the very least one of the top 2 most popular games. As others have mentioned, this is a lot of activity for a game that is at best, 23 months away from being produced.

Now that a few days have passed, I'm glad FFG has purchased it, as their other games are legit(now that I have picked up 40k).

Still hate the cards are flimsy like tissue paper, but I will get over that too :P

I can honestly say that I would impulse buy the game if I passed it in a game store tomorrow and it looked like a self contained version of L5R.  I buy almost every learn to play set and usually at least one or two starter decks, even in arcs I'm sitting out.

Edited by Kiseki

Yeah, I expect L5RLCG will be HUGE...but I also think that FFG is going to be releasing a DIFFERENT Star Wars card game based on stuff from The Force Awakens sometime soon. THAT is going to be a huge game. I have high hopes that FFG will do their usual "we bought an old engine" schtick and buy Decipher's old Star Wars CCG system and revamp it to make a Star Wars: The Force Awakens-based LCG. I expect that game will become their biggest card game if they pull that off. But L5R is going to be big, too. I look forward to playing both - even if it means letting Netrunner and Conquest go for a bit.

I highly doubt that. They've said repeatedly that Star Wars is doing really well. I don't think they'll compete with their own Star Wars LCG that way. I do think they will add The Force Awakens stuff to the existing LCG eventually.

Barring that, I predict we'd see a TFA product that more closely mimics the recently announced Warhammer Quest card game. That game is similar to The Lord of the Rings, except it's not an LCG. It will likely be expanded like a traditional board game. I think that sort of game is what Star Wars needs next.

As such, I don't think The Force Awakens is going to be stealing many of the potential L5R players away.

The reality is that L5R at its peak didn't have a fraction of a percentage of the brand recognition that Star Wars or GoT have.  As much as I want it to be otherwise, and plan to promote the heck out of it (if FFG makes a game I can get behind), I don't think that it's reasonable to expect L5R to be a bigger game than a franchise that has movies and/or tv shows.  Maybe it can be a better game though.  Time will tell.

I'd be thrilled to build a playgroup with a dozen or *gasp* twenty people.  That'd be a pleasant outcome to me. 

I'd be thrilled to build a playgroup with a dozen or *gasp* twenty people.  That'd be a pleasant outcome to me. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the public Star Wars LCG community is small. Like, there are only 2 in my gaming group. Regionals this year had around 20 participants on average. Star Wars and AGoT will probably beat L5R in terms of sales, but it's tough to predict how it will compare in terms of participation at FFG's Organized Play events.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the public Star Wars LCG community is small. Like, there are only 2 in my gaming group. Regionals this year had around 20 participants on average. Star Wars and AGoT will probably beat L5R in terms of sales, but it's tough to predict how it will compare in terms of participation at FFG's Organized Play events.

Hopefully some of the amazing community of yore will fall in love again, and that won't be a problem.  Fingers crossed, and time will tell.

I can easily see another Netrunner type situation. L5R is one of those games that those of us who have been involved with CCGs/LCGs for a long time will recognize. And to see it revived will get the interest of those of us who never got into it, or those players who dropped out of it early on. I think at this point, FFG's name and brand are powerful tools as well. But, unlike Netrunner, there will be a bit of a stronger built in player base.

EDIT: It should be noted, that the biggest LCG is Netrunner, I believe. And that does not have any franchise ties to anything beyond FFG's own created universe.  

Edited by Sithborg

I' be careful not to let the X-Wing players hear you.  Both X-Wing and Armada make up the two best selling games for FFG.

To late ;)

Several forum-members here play X-wing too. But far from making this a competition I embrace both X-wing and the future L5R LCG :D

I think the game could be up there, just because of the extremely large and devoted fan base it brings with it, but that also discounts the popularity of its other games like AGoT and Netrunner.  I know AGoT has a very large and devoted base, and as part of the Netrunner base I can say it seems to only be growing and getting more active.  Within the last year a whole series of player-run pro circuits have popped up in Netrunner, and the game seems to be growing by leaps and bounds.  I doubt that L5R will start in the top spot honestly, but I definitely don't rule out its ability to take the top spot in the future. 

My entire playgroup quit because of a lot of the version changes and the costs involved in them and every single one of them is back on board 100% at the news of it going LCG.  Give it enough time to snowball and L5R could become quite a force. I don't think FFG would have bought it if they didn't think the same thing.  The game has been alive for twenty years and people still play it.  If the only gap in production they can show over that span is the one year they take it down to convert it to LCG, that is a better track record than most of these LCG's can show. 

I' be careful not to let the X-Wing players hear you.  Both X-Wing and Armada make up the two best selling games for FFG.

To late ;)

Several forum-members here play X-wing too. But far from making this a competition I embrace both X-wing and the future L5R LCG :D

The same goes for me, I play both X-Wing and Armada.  I'm just saying in general. 

Yeah, I expect L5RLCG will be HUGE...but I also think that FFG is going to be releasing a DIFFERENT Star Wars card game based on stuff from The Force Awakens sometime soon. THAT is going to be a huge game. I have high hopes that FFG will do their usual "we bought an old engine" schtick and buy Decipher's old Star Wars CCG system and revamp it to make a Star Wars: The Force Awakens-based LCG. I expect that game will become their biggest card game if they pull that off. But L5R is going to be big, too. I look forward to playing both - even if it means letting Netrunner and Conquest go for a bit.

I highly doubt that. They've said repeatedly that Star Wars is doing really well. I don't think they'll compete with their own Star Wars LCG that way. I do think they will add The Force Awakens stuff to the existing LCG eventually.

Barring that, I predict we'd see a TFA product that more closely mimics the recently announced Warhammer Quest card game. That game is similar to The Lord of the Rings, except it's not an LCG. It will likely be expanded like a traditional board game. I think that sort of game is what Star Wars needs next.

As such, I don't think The Force Awakens is going to be stealing many of the potential L5R players away.

Well, I've checked out the SKUs for upcoming product and there's no room for The Force Awakens-based stuff to appear in the existing SW:LCG before sometime well into 2016. Now, maybe you're right and they are just waiting to introduce it until much later after the film is out. But I would expect they want to release something close to when the film comes out in December. They released TFA stuff for X-wing as soon as they could, you know? God I hope they do. I really miss a GOOD Star Wars card game. Despite what FFG says, I know of NO SW:LCG playgroups anywhere near me and I live in a fairly large metropolitan area of Charlotte, N.C. USA.

Either way, I expect as others have mentioned that L5R won't get a fraction of the interest that Star Wars (or even Game of Thrones) does. I really like it and hope it succeeds but I think we should temper our expectations compared to the other properties owned by FFG.

Well, I've checked out the SKUs for upcoming product and there's no room for The Force Awakens-based stuff to appear in the existing SW:LCG before sometime well into 2016. Now, maybe you're right and they are just waiting to introduce it until much later after the film is out. But I would expect they want to release something close to when the film comes out in December. They released TFA stuff for X-wing as soon as they could, you know? God I hope they do. I really miss a GOOD Star Wars card game. Despite what FFG says, I know of NO SW:LCG playgroups anywhere near me and I live in a fairly large metropolitan area of Charlotte, N.C. USA.

Either way, I expect as others have mentioned that L5R won't get a fraction of the interest that Star Wars (or even Game of Thrones) does. I really like it and hope it succeeds but I think we should temper our expectations compared to the other properties owned by FFG.

There is no current plans for TFA stuff for their other games because LFL was being really tight with information. Keep in mind, the X-wing stuff was being developed a year ago. Miniature games have a much longer lead time than card games. And they got some bareboned info. Maybe only 2 actuall named pilots, one of whom is one of the new big three, and BB-8. And you sort of need a LOT more info than that to make decent additions to their other SW games.