Fair enough. I didn't know there were draft packs to be bought. That's awesome. I have only seen drafting in an lcg/ecg from Ashes Rise of the phoenix bornnand that uses cards in the core set. So there are not new cards gotten from anywhere.

What's the difference in 'just needing boosters' and 'just needing the draft stuff'? Stores can order in draft product like anything else - you just pick it up off the shelf when you want to play.

I'm about the biggest fan of L5R draft there is...ask anyone who's been at GenCon in the last eight years :P I'm close friends with the NH play test team that really elevated L5R draft to just an incredible format, and outside of those guys, I can tell you for sure that I've drafted more often than any other L5R player. With that in mind, I think Thrones draft is as good as L5R draft was at the end...it's exceptionally well-designed and balanced.

As a longtime player of L5R CCG who straddled somewhat the casual/competitive divide, I am quite pleased to see the game adapted into a LCG model. Or rather, I should say, quite hopeful of the potential. My only comparative experience is with AEG's doomtown ECG, which was awesome. After years of chasing cards and dealing with a constant "mess" of cardboard, the tight predictable package that is the LCG/ECG is extremely refreshing. For me.

As a clan trender (as opposed to a clan loyalist), I am also excited to consider full playsets across factions. My style is such that I am likely to play 1 of 2 clans when attending tournaments. However, in casual play, I am not a "grinder" (who works to perfect one single archetype), and prefer instead to experiment, dabble, and explore. The ability to build a variety of semi-competitive decks (maybe not all at the same time) will allow players like me to stay interested in a limited field.

I get that there are those who feel married to one model or another. We are all entitled to our opinions. But there is a funny thing that happens on forums where a vocal minority begins to define the narrative...while simultaneously stimulating dialogue. The former is dangerous while the latter is helpful. It is good to see so much energy and enthusiasm for the game: it bodes well for the launch and - crosses fingers - longevity. I'd just encourage us to remain civil, positive, and open-minded.

What's the difference in 'just needing boosters' and 'just needing the draft stuff'? Stores can order in draft product like anything else - you just pick it up off the shelf when you want to play.

Because draft packs are specialized, risky product that are mostly ordered on  customers request and boosters are everywhere everytime? :D

PS. Maybe i am wrong, but as i lurk on AGoT local forums i haven't seen any AGoT Draft tourney announce/report ever. It seems this format is completely dead here.

Edited by kempy

Here as in Poland? I know there was a delay in draft product reaching Europe, so it may be that it hasn't become readily available yet in your area. If you get the chance, I heartily recommend giving it a go, although your insistence on not spending any money ever on FFG product may hamper that.

I get that there can be a risk involved with ordering in the product, but it's up to a store to determine if there is a market for it. Like I said, I've had extremely positive experiences with the format, and as a result our local store goes through draft packs very quickly, but it does need someone with a passion for the format (be that a player or the store owner) to drive it.

To be quite honest, I personally enjoy the gambling aspect of booster packs. To accomodate players like me, I think LCGs should release special "promo booster" packs. Essentially, you pay your X dollars and get a random assortment of foils, full bleeds, and other shiny special stuff.

Imagine having an 8 card pack with 5 commons, 2 uncommons, and a rare / super rare slot. Maybe there are lots of foil Small Farms and Superior Tactics available. However, a foil full bleed champion only happens once every box or two. You could still have all the fun parts of a secondary market without the problem of "everyone needs 3 $40 Shrine to Benten or else their deck sucks" barrier-to-entry type stuff. Seems like it would be win/win.

Edited by Nickciufi

7 minutes ago, Nickciufi said:

To be quite honest, I personally enjoy the gambling aspect of booster packs. To accomodate players like me, I think LCGs should release special "promo booster" packs. Essentially, you pay your X dollars and get a random assortment of foils, full bleeds, and other shiny special stuff.

Imagine having an 8 card pack with 5 commons, 2 uncommons, and a rare / super rare slot. Maybe there are lots of foil Small Farms and Superior Tactics available. However, a foil full bleed champion only happens once every box or two. You could still have all the fun parts of a secondary market without the problem of "everyone needs 3 $40 Shrine to Benten or else their deck sucks" barrier-to-entry type stuff. Seems like it would be win/win.

I mean... It's not really the same thing because all you are doing is buying cards that you already own, right? Just with different art/configurations or whatever. But I like the idea. And I also enjoy opening booster packs!! It's so much fun! :D

2 hours ago, Katsutoshi said:

It looks like FFG lived to their words : they are making L5R their biggest launch ever.

Will it find the success it deserves and surpass every other LCG out there ? Pretty sure it will !

It's about time! It's been, what, two years? Plus they need to come out with something big after loosing all the games workshop based games.

Can't wait for the release!

15 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

It's about time! It's been, what, two years? Plus they need to come out with something big after loosing all the games workshop based games.

Can't wait for the release!

We have known since the purchase from AEG it was gonna be two years. Even though it felt more like two decades....