Sign in to follow this  
Felswrath

Non-Prequel Prequel Armada

A topic of much debate I have seen on this forum is whether or not there should be Prequel (Including CW) expansions. Some say yes others say no. I, however, find that I fall in the middle ground. I don't think we should have Separatist or Republic factions anytime soon (as in the next 7 waves), however there is a wealth of Prequel ships that are Galactic Civil War era. In the only new canon book that I have read, Tarkin, we see the Empire using Venator - class star destroyers as well as V-wings, Arc -170s, and Vader is even still using an eta-2. The Rebels, meanwhile, have a modified Providence - class cruiser, Vulture Droids, and Tri - Fighters. And it should be noted that there are Imperial 1 class star destroyers and Tie Fighters in use. And I know there are many other sources that have Rebels using CIS ships and the Empire using Republic ships. Then after releasing them, they could reissue them in "aces" packs to introduce a Clone Wars Era, if they start running low on ships. So what do you think?

I think that's a bad idea, personally, and I also find it highly unlikely for FFG to do.  They've placed a heavy emphasis on the visual distinction of each faction, and while there is some crossover with late-Republican/early-Imperial vessels like the Victory, it would be an extremely tough sell to add CIS ships to the Rebel Alliance.  There's also the issue of in-game niches for each ship; the Acclamator would be trying to squeeze in between the Gladiator and Victory, while the same is true for the Venator between the Victory and Imperial.  I'm not saying that wouldn't be possible to tell them apart, but it would be very difficult to differentiate them enough for it to matter while still staying true to the source material.

I'd like to point out that Tarkin is not set during the Galactic Civil War.  It's set only five years after Revenge of the Sith, two and a half times closer chronologically to that movie as it is to A New Hope.  The "rebels" (emphasis on the lower case) in the book are Separatist holdouts, not members of the Alliance to Restore the Republic (which won't exist for another decade or so and actively distances itself from the Separatist movement).  The Imperials are still using Clone Wars-era equipment because it is still effectively the Clone Wars; both chronologically and politically.

I think that's a bad idea, personally, and I also find it highly unlikely for FFG to do.  They've placed a heavy emphasis on the visual distinction of each faction, and while there is some crossover with late-Republican/early-Imperial vessels like the Victory, it would be an extremely tough sell to add CIS ships to the Rebel Alliance.  There's also the issue of in-game niches for each ship; the Acclamator would be trying to squeeze in between the Gladiator and Victory, while the same is true for the Venator between the Victory and Imperial.  I'm not saying that wouldn't be possible to tell them apart, but it would be very difficult to differentiate them enough for it to matter while still staying true to the source material.

I'd like to point out that Tarkin is not set during the Galactic Civil War.  It's set only five years after Revenge of the Sith, two and a half times closer chronologically to that movie as it is to A New Hope.  The "rebels" (emphasis on the lower case) in the book are Separatist holdouts, not members of the Alliance to Restore the Republic (which won't exist for another decade or so and actively distances itself from the Separatist movement).  The Imperials are still using Clone Wars-era equipment because it is still effectively the Clone Wars; both chronologically and politically.

The rebels in Tarkin actually aren't seppies, though it seems that way at first.  They are disenchanted prior members of Republic intelligence and Republic member worlds, though they are using some separatist war materiel.  Tarkin and the others are surprised when they discover this, because they had assumed they were separatist hold-outs.   

They may not be the alliance yet, but they are the precursors for sure, a foreshadowing of the larger movement on the horizon. 

Some x-wing card art shows CIS ships with Rebel markings on them. We will probably get Aclamator and Venator for the empire and Providence + something for the Rebels. I tihnk its only a matter of time.

Considering the amount of junk (I'm sorry if anyone feels offended, but I have no other way of putting it) FFG released for X-Wing, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more iconic Clone Wars ships appeared for Armada at some point. Almost certainly the Pelta and Arquitens (seen in both Clone Wars and Rebels), and quite possibly also the Venator and Acclamator.

Some x-wing card art shows CIS ships with Rebel markings on them. We will probably get Aclamator and Venator for the empire and Providence + something for the Rebels. I tihnk its only a matter of time.

Aha! Thank You Microscop.

With X-Wing, it was previously stated that they wanted to contentrate on The Original Trilogy and the Expanded Universe.  Disney, of course, turned all of it on its head - and apparently, reading some posts in the X-Wing Forums, we're told the Head of FFG design has been negotiating with Disney over the Prequel stuff now, which they have never done before.

Aha! Thank You Microscop.

Here's to You-Clid

To Prove: FFG acknowledges that the Rebels used CIS warships in the GCW.

1. FFG acknowledges the painting "An Imperial pilot's view of a clash between task forces" as being in their canon. 1. X-wing Tie Defender expansion Predator

2. The Rebels (Not New Republic due to insignia)use CIS warships 2. see painting below

3, Imperial II class star destroyers are in the painting 3. see painting below

4. Imperial II class star destroyers were first seen in the GCW 4. Wookieepedia Imperial II class star destroyer

5. FFG acknowledges that the Rebels used CIS warships in the GCW 5. Transitive Property

Q.E.D.

cockpit-fighter-view1.jpg

I've always ascribed to adding prequel ships. I like variety. FFG can mechanically make any new ship feel different. They will eventually run out of IT material and have to dip into the prequel to keep the game going.

Luckily FF so far have proven they have some taste and avoided that disgusting "prequel" mess, plumbing the much superior older EU universes instead. Let us hope it continues forever.

I've always disliked the idea of ruling out a slightly older ship from the same canon just because we saw it in the prequel. If they're still in use in the OT era (even if they're just as reservist ships), I'll be happy to see them introduced.

At least one Venator is seen in the new Darth Vader comic series, set after ANH:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/darth-vader-9-shadows-and-secrets-part-3-of-6.50033338/

Think we are more likey to see ships from the new episode 1st

I completely agree, but with this delay for wave 2, this is how I see the future:

Wave 3 Episode 7 supplemented with EU

Wave 4 EU

We will see the interdictor and assault frigate mark 1 in one of these waves

Wave 5 Rogue 1 (if there are new ships or aces packs for CR-90, Nebulon, etc.)

Wave 6 This is the earliest I think we would see Prequel ships, but even this may be a little early, If they follow my theory I think Wave 8 is more likely.

Luckily FF so far have proven they have some taste and avoided that disgusting "prequel" mess, plumbing the much superior older EU universes instead. Let us hope it continues forever.

Forget that. I want both, and new stuff too. The PT ships were not the problem there. Keep giving me wave after wave of ships, until all star wars ships are on my shelf... Then make some more!:D

When I can reenact any Star Wars space battle on the screen or in print, then they may have enough ships. Until the, I eagerly await each new wave.

Well, you say that. But then picked a pile of lazily designed mobile game garbage like the TIE Punisher and made the impossibly tiny version of the Hounds Tooth. My faith in their taste has decreased with every wave of x-wing lately.

Well, you say that. But then picked a pile of lazily designed mobile game garbage like the TIE Punisher and made the impossibly tiny version of the Hounds Tooth.

How's it "impossibly tiny"? I was under the impression that it was exactly the same size as the TCW Hounds Tooth - 47m.

Well, you say that. But then picked a pile of lazily designed mobile game garbage like the TIE Punisher and made the impossibly tiny version of the Hounds Tooth.

How's it "impossibly tiny"? I was under the impression that it was exactly the same size as the TCW Hounds Tooth - 47m.

That's tge problem...it's a lot smaller than the original EU size. Which wouldn't bother me, except that the z-95 carrier idea was an EU one, based on that sizing.

Challenge for you: pick up a z-95 model, and a hounds tooth model. Explain how one fits into the other, whilst still having room for crew, prisoner transport, power plant and weapons. Bonus points for hilarious diagrams of the above!