Sign in to follow this  
Julia

POLL - How many LCGs are you following?

Thanks guys :) So far, it's the most active board in terms of answers given (I'll keep the poll open for 10 days, and then check the numbers)

A quick answer about the 70%: it's just a parameter to say "I'm following a game". If you started playing 6 months ago, and got 1 core and a handful of expansions, but you are active as players and plan on getting more, I'm fine if you select the game. It's very "easy math", no need for strict protocols to validate answers :)

I only follow LotR LCG (I own everything so far minus a few stuff released at this year's Gen Con). I play mainly solo, so getting into a competitive LCG with no one else to play with is pointless for me. I do want to get into Legend of the 5 Rings LCG when it's available, but I need to convince some of my friends to jump when it releases in a few years from now.

That art. Those mechanics. That theme. That co-op. That everything.

I don't know why, but I read that in a soft voice adding "Calvin Klein" at the end haha

Edited by soullos

Only Lotr also. I am trying to relive and re-find the beauty from Tolkines work through all possible media, whether its a game, a book or other. So for me its not one of my game hobbies. Its one of my Tolkien interests.

Edited by Qaanaaq

I follow Lotr (own everything) and SW lcg (own about 95%). However, I play Lotr purely solo mostly because I can't find a local play group. Sadly only played SW lcg twice due to lack of play group. You would think this would sway me to not get into ANR or GoT but I want them both....my wife would kill me though :)

Thanks guys :) So far, it's the most active board in terms of answers given (I'll keep the poll open for 10 days, and then check the numbers)

Julia one thing to think on: FFG forums seem the most active place for chatter on LotR but other games have busier forums elsewhere (eg cardgamedb for CoC and SW with BGG getting traffic and Im sure the other games will have places too).

So FFG isnt an exact spread across the player base of most games, only the ones where here is the main busy hub (such as LotR).

Not sure how this affects your results or if you considered pulling other forums into your catchment but I thought I would mention it anyway for your consideration.

I collected Star Wars for a while, but haven't picked up anything new for it since the Rogue Squadron block started. It's still a fun game, but LotR is nice since I can play it anytime without needing another player. Even with more players, I love the cooperative and narrative style of game play from LotR.

Not LCGs, but for other FFG games I've played, I really enjoy XCOM and Elder Signs, again for the solo/cooperative play, though XCOM is a little overwhelming when you're alone!

I'm "just" buying into the LotR LCG - but, by estimation, I've spent thousands on this game by now so I do feel like a faithful customer. It really is the theme, cooperative aspect and gorgeous art that sell it for me.

Julia one thing to think on: FFG forums seem the most active place for chatter on LotR but other games have busier forums elsewhere (eg cardgamedb for CoC and SW with BGG getting traffic and Im sure the other games will have places too).

So FFG isnt an exact spread across the player base of most games, only the ones where here is the main busy hub (such as LotR).

Not sure how this affects your results or if you considered pulling other forums into your catchment but I thought I would mention it anyway for your consideration.

Thanks Alex, I'm aware of that. But considering I'm doing this just for fun (I have not been asked to do this), and that I frequent mostly only FFG boards, creating accounts on other boards and all the rest seems a little bit beyond the purpose of this question, I think. If anyone here is active on cardgames.db or other similar domains and wants to extend the question to his/her fellow forumites, they are more than welcome to do so, and we can work out the results by email

Lord of the Rings and Star Wars LCG for me.  I also have some content for Game of Thrones (1st Editition), and I own the core set for Conquest and Invasion, but I don't plan on expanding those collections at this point. I also own X-Wing, Diskwars, and Armada collections outside of the LCG format. 

I have found that owning all of a game is expensive and limits your purchasing power, but it is possible to own parts of many games.  I have four brothers who also play these games, so between us we slowly buy up different parts of each and do plenty of swapping.  It works well, as we have access to and ownership of many (nearly complete) games but only pay the price of a few individually.  It is still expensive, though.   

(sorry for cross-posting; if you've answered this already on a different board, please do not re-enter your data; I'll be keeping count of the results, and not of the name of the voters)

As per subject; it'd be interesting to see whether people tend to specialize (one or two games max) or to follow the scene in a wider way.

So, if you don't mind, list below the LCGs you're regularly following (no need to buy new packs as soon as they are out; let's say you have at least 70% of the existing material).

If enough answer, I could do some (possibly interesting) statistics

Largely pointless. Source: I teach statistics at a university.

Fun and interesting, no doubt. But, the sample is insanely biased. 

All of your results can only generalize to:

1) People who check FFG forums

2) People who saw these posts

3) People who chose to respond to these threads

No doubt FFG has TONS and TONS of people who follow its games and don't reliably check these boards. 

However, three cheers for anything to do with statistics. Send me a message if you want to chat. 

Edited by divinityofnumber

(sorry for cross-posting; if you've answered this already on a different board, please do not re-enter your data; I'll be keeping count of the results, and not of the name of the voters)

As per subject; it'd be interesting to see whether people tend to specialize (one or two games max) or to follow the scene in a wider way.

So, if you don't mind, list below the LCGs you're regularly following (no need to buy new packs as soon as they are out; let's say you have at least 70% of the existing material).

If enough answer, I could do some (possibly interesting) statistics

Largely pointless. Source: I teach statistics at a university.

Fun and interesting, no doubt. But, the sample is insanely biased. 

All of your results can only generalize to:

1) People who check FFG forums

2) People who saw these posts

3) People who chose to respond to these threads

No doubt FFG has TONS and TONS of people who follow its games and don't reliably check these boards. 

However, three cheers for anything to do with statistics. Send me a message if you want to chat. 

As said, it's done with the mere purpose of have a general idea. It's not a marketing research, and it has not the intent of collecting a representative sample of the whole population playing LCGs. I write mostly on FFG boards, and I'm interested in having a general taste of what my fellow forumites do / collect / play, that's all.

Netrunner: 100%, with multiples of some packs (i keep about 10 decks constructed)

Star Wars: 100% with multiples of some packs

Game of Thrones 2nd Edition: Core

Lord of the Rings: Core