Sign in to follow this  
FuturistiKen

Yoda taught us better than this!

Sorry for the lack of knowledge but what is an sjw?

I'm already over the hill but have been a board gamer since the 3rd grade. Avalon Hill was my introduction to the hobby back when the map grids were squares rather than hexes. As mentioned elsewhere I don't give a rodent's rear what people think of MY hobby.

The OP is correct in that the responses to some questions get snarky at times. But on the whole I think we have a pretty decent group of guys on these forums.

I appreciate the intent of this thread. Good things worth saying.

Here's another perspective for consideration. I'm a proudly diagnosed INTJ. One of the characteristics of this personality type is that we often enjoy taking an intellectual proposition and running it through its paces by exploring all the arguments in favor of it, and continuing to dissect it's counterarguments even long after a consensus has been reached that it's wrong ... And even when we DO NOT ACTUALLY BELIEVE IT TO BE TRUE. It's the very definition of carrying on a played out topic "just for the sake of argument", and doing so not to be pugnacious, but simply for the joy of the intellectual stimulation.

Of course this can get on people's nerves, and I've had to just learn to deal with that. Know when to walk away because the others engaging with me are not getting the same benefit out of the continuing back-and-forth as I am... They are just getting frustrated or pissed off.

In my younger days, this phenomenon could be really hurtful. Especially as I often had little else going on in my real life to pull me out of the vast importance I placed on discussion board fights and insults and hurt feelings deriving from people whose names and voices and personalities I didn't even know.

Now I have a child and household to think about, with all of its own anxieties. It's a little easier to place less importance on the slights and insults and condescendingly dismissive replies that sometimes come after I've been warrioring on about some rules debate.

Which brings up another thought: you don't know what real life troubles might be coloring someone's tone on a discussion board. I had lots more loose ends I wanted to tie up in discussing the whole SLAM and Bomb debacle. Points of counterarguments I wanted to play out a little further as I thought some of the opposition's responses to my points failed to reach logical consistency or convince me of their merits.

But you know what? My obsession with that argument was getting unhealthy for my real life, and impacting my sleep and time I should have been spending with my daughter and the needs of my household. And the reverse was true also. I have been having a string of financial misfortune the last few weeks, with car breakdowns in my personal life and client payment issues in my work life, and so my choice to spend money on plastic ships that suddenly didn't work as advertised made me even more anxious and frustrated since that money should have been saved for real needs. And thus my real life anxieties were coloring my forum warioring and probably making things unhealthy for the forum.

All to just say, kindness toward others and moderation toward yourself are important things. If you wouldn't act in real life the way you do on a forum, don't act that way on the forum.

So thanks for this thread. It's a good thing.

BEWARE... THE...EVIL...LIBRARIANS!

On Monday they say toss all your A-Wings & TIE Interceptors!

Den Star Vipers come and now you need to go and get them back again!

But later dem EVIL LIBRARIANS tell yah Star Vipers SUCK too... how can you win?!

Easy... Don' do what some know it all says do!

Dat SELF EMPOWERED Glory!

:D

Wheaton's Law: "Don't be a d**k."

No longer applies he's a sjw.

That's the opposite of being a d**k. SJW's of a different sort gave us weekends, voting rights and safe food. They're always vehemently opposed in their time.

Nah, a bunch of indignant assholes are trying to associate themselves with brave people from our history that risked their lives to help people.

SJW are not heroes. Telling someone what jokes they aren't allowed to laugh at because it is sexist/racist/specist/disabledist is not the same as marching in the streets with full knowledge that people are going to show up and physically attack or maybe kill you.

SJW calling in bomb threats any time someone tries to have an actual discussion does not make them heroes.

SJW making fake death threats to themselves to gain notoriety does not make them heroes.

The reason we have safe food and standards for work environment is because of journalism ethics.

SJW do not want to be held to any ethical standards, it is at the core of their philosophy. Their operations seem to be based on McCarthyism.

That's the opposite of being a d**k. SJW's of a different sort gave us weekends, voting rights and safe food. They're always vehemently opposed in their time.

Sjw's are the people that made a grown man cry when he landed a satellite on an asteroid because he dared to wear a shirt made by a woman a friend of his wife's who asked him to wear it, because it had anime girls on it.

Sjw's call in bomb threats that disrupt conferences simply because it differs from their opinion the latest being the airplay meeting between journalists and gamergate, you want to see hate go on YouTube you'll find it all comes from their side.

Sjw's are not helping women's rights but setting them back in two short years they've managed to equate feminism with man hating, 4/5 women will now deny the label of feminist because they don't want to be seen as hating men, that's tragic.

Sjw's out of tumblr have caused nothing but negativity on every subject they touch.

And now Wheaton is nothing but a shill for sarkesian he's lost all credibility.

Guys careful... The 14th amendment makes it illegal to own people like this...

Nah, a bunch of indignant assholes are trying to associate themselves with brave people from our history that risked their lives to help people.

SJW are not heroes. Telling someone what jokes they aren't allowed to laugh at because it is sexist/racist/specist/disabledist is not the same as marching in the streets with full knowledge that people are going to show up and physically attack or maybe kill you.

SJW calling in bomb threats any time someone tries to have an actual discussion does not make them heroes.

SJW making fake death threats to themselves to gain notoriety does not make them heroes.

The reason we have safe food and standards for work environment is because of journalism ethics.

SJW do not want to be held to any ethical standards, it is at the core of their philosophy. Their operations seem to be based on McCarthyism.

Sjw's are the people that made a grown man cry when he landed a satellite on an asteroid because he dared to wear a shirt made by a woman a friend of his wife's who asked him to wear it, because it had anime girls on it.

Sjw's call in bomb threats that disrupt conferences simply because it differs from their opinion the latest being the airplay meeting between journalists and gamergate, you want to see hate go on YouTube you'll find it all comes from their side.

Sjw's are not helping women's rights but setting them back in two short years they've managed to equate feminism with man hating, 4/5 women will now deny the label of feminist because they don't want to be seen as hating men, that's tragic.

Sjw's out of tumblr have caused nothing but negativity on every subject they touch.

And now Wheaton is nothing but a shill for sarkesian he's lost all credibility.

Guys careful... The 14th amendment makes it illegal to own people like this...

I can't like this chain hard enough.

To tie back into the OP, they're a result of this same structure of fear. Their narratives are slipping down around their ankles, and in their fear they lashed out at precisely the wrong target, because they didn't know we had a spine. They'd only adopted the dark when it suited their purposes. They never realised that we swum in it every day, had to deal with it every day (how many times have you been insulted over a headset and shrugged it off?), and had from that adopted a skin so thick that when they attempted to rend the curtain, the blacklight of their hypocritical ideologies was reflected back, betraying the vampiric myth to the public eye.

/awfulbloodyprose

And, as is the case with all groups, every group has scumbags that make everyone look bad.

And at the end of the day, while SJWs can be annoying, the positions and opinions of their opposition tend to be much worse.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Good to know that any mention of Will Wheaton will bring us back on this fun path. I will have to keep that in mind if I want to get threads locked. 

I just don't understand the anger or disapointment in Will's position. He is very close friends with Felicia Day. Who the hell did you think he was going to side with? And the painting of someone with a more liberal viewpoint as a SJW is very concerning to me. Especially as witnessed in another sci-fi fan group this year. 

This is not the Jedi way!

I'm not a Jedi. I'm an Imperial Agent.
I'm both! Why must you choose? Walk the path of grey and never have to see everything in only black and white.

While this forum is typically better than most, it does have ups and downs. Those pretty well come and go with the news cycle. Nothing new to talk about? People get bored. Too much to talk about (like right now) and we can't collectively shout down the trolls and click batters fast enough because we're too busy with our new toys.

Like most places, I still see "dude, it's the Internet" used as an excuse for many things. Unlike most places those posters don't tend to hang around long.

When all else fails, the breakfast is strong with this forum.

Edited by Rakky Wistol

On the bottom of every expansion:

This product is not a toy.

Can you dig it?

But still most consumers to include some forum members here still buy the whole mass marketing idea that games are children's playthings an along with that assumption what makes profits is that quantity always trumps quality.

5a7cb8592e66630a96f12086c6a9-should-kids

Edited by Marinealver

And, as is the case with all groups, every group has scumbags that make everyone look bad.

And at the end of the day, while SJWs can be annoying, the positions and opinions of their opposition tend to be much worse.

Truth. A lot of the "anti-SJW" sentiment I've seen tends to come from people who just don't want to think about people who are not them.

If you have two sides, and one side has folks like Joss Whedon, and the other has Donald Trump (the most prominant proponent of "anti-SJW"-style thinking in the media today), I'll side with Whedon.

Truth. A lot of the "anti-SJW" sentiment I've seen tends to come from people who just don't want to think about people who are not them.

If you have two sides, and one side has folks like Joss Whedon, and the other has Donald Trump (the most prominant proponent of "anti-SJW"-style thinking in the media today), I'll side with Whedon.

Whedon got kicked out of the clubhouse after AoU, though?

You're making the classic mistake of conflating "social justice" and "SJW", though. One is a reasonable concept, the other is a term for a vicious sort of cultist.

(I actually wouldn't consider whedon or wheaton to be SJWs in that sense)

Dudes...

I always like to start with a little perspective when I'm about to be honest and vulnerable, so please forgive me if I'm rehashing a tired old theme with the following.

This forum is about toys.  Playthings.  Little plastic spaceships, inspired by complete fantasy.  The overwhelming majority of us are grown men that devote considerable amounts of time and money to a pursuit that, fundamentally, is not that different from our childhood diversions.

By definition, this makes us nerds, geeks, dorks, even losers to some.  I expect that a majority of us have, at some point in our lives, been the subject of ridicule for engaging in such a pastime.  I'll go a bit further and suggest that we have been hurt by that.  Made to doubt ourselves.  Made to be worry over any number of things, like that we wouldn't fit in, or be able to have the types of relationships that broader society tells us we should have.  Even if we're lucky enough to have minimized those types of influences in our lives now, I feel safe in assuming that many of us, maybe most of us, still carry certain scars from it.

Those scars can make us afraid, and we all know what fear leads to (why I invoked the Master in the title of this post).

And so often the "men" of our subculture let fear rule them.  We pick on one another, run each other down, do whatever we can to make these toys and this game less fun for others.  Why?  The answer is easy for a grown-up to see: to make ourselves feel better.  To be able to say that we're somehow superior to that lamer noob that doesn't get it.  Ultimately, to inflict the same pain on one another that's been inflicted on us.

This is not the Jedi way!

I imagine there are some of you trying to scoff at this, trying to tell yourself and anyone that will listen that you're somehow tougher, somehow immune to these injuries.  You think you're Vader, or Boba Fett - the baddest of the bad and ain't nobody can tell you nothin' about how to be.

But remember, it was watching their mommy and daddy die as boys that started them on their paths.  It was fear and anguish, that they concealed with rage and oppression.  I see basically the same thing on these forums when the trolls come out.  We pile our derision on one another in an attempt to pat ourselves on the back for being so much smarter, so much cooler, and so strong that we don't have to feel our own pain.  It hurts all of us, though, and it makes this awesome game and these sweet toys that we all loven less fun.  For all of us!  I'm asking you to have the courage to be honest with yourself.  To look in the mirror, and to put yourself in another's place.

So I'm asking all of us to just stop.  We're all in this together, and we all share a love for this hobby.  I watch football players knock an opponent senseless and then pick him up off the turf and slap his ass.  I watch MMA fighters beat each other senseless and then hug each other.  Why don't we build each other up like that more often?  Why don't we honor each other for engaging in a hobby that asks us to use our brains?  There's enough in the world to tear guys like us down without us doing it to each other.

I'm here to learn what I can, and to teach what I can.  I do my best to leave my ego out of it, because if for no other reason, we're here to talk about toys!  Let's help each other have more fun instead of trying to take the fun out of it.

Please.

:D

BOO%252520TOPIC%252520GOOD%252520POST.pn

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven

Whedon got kicked out of the clubhouse after AoU, though?

You're making the classic mistake of conflating "social justice" and "SJW", though. One is a reasonable concept, the other is a term for a vicious sort of cultist.

(I actually wouldn't consider whedon or wheaton to be SJWs in that sense)

The term is broadly applied (to Wheaton in this thread). It is applied, derogatorily, to anyone who works towards making anything about our culture better. There were bad apples who resorted to stupid, counterproductive tactics in every movement that has ever moved us forward as a society. The idea that their existence means we should just stop talking about the way we treat each other is not reasonable.

Ok, I'm thoroughly confused now. What does Trump, Wheaton and Whedon have to do with SJWs and the OP? And where does Felicia Day play into this? If anyone out there can give me the Cliff Notes condensed version I'd like to hear it. If not I'll take two aspirin and go to bed.

Ignorance is bliss. Trust me, you are happier not knowing. 

Star Wars is awesome, except for the parts that aren't (you know what those are).

And I never trust any one, celebrity, politician or whatever, who propose simple solutions to complex problems like foreign policy, social justice, immigration, or whatever else. The problems we face in the real world have been building for decades or centuries and need more than an election term or two to fix. Until someone starts talking about sustainable solutions that might take 50 or 100 years or more nothing will really get fixed.

On the flip side the x-wing hasn't been broken for centuries so it's not going to take nearly as long to fix :)