BayushiCroy

Greetings Future Samurai of Rokugan (update and necrothread)

Well it's been a while hasn't it? Almost 2 years later and with Gencon 50 on its way Legend of the Five Rings is almost back.

I am more excited now than I was the day I wrote this. 

We have spent our time differently. For myself I learned the l5r rpg 4th edition. Others ran unofficial tournaments. I believe we even had an unofficial Winter Court. What hasn't gone away though is our excitement and love for Rokugan. 

I wrote this piece on the day of the sale. It is my call to action for the old l5r players to embrace the changes and drastic shift in the community to an overwhelmingly new player base. Especially since we are all new again! 

We lost 2 Clans, but I see many of the old Mantis and Spider players are looking for a new home. There are some hurt feelings, and there should be. Many, many players lost a lot. But we as a community are in a position to gain so much. But that doesn't mean we should forget or distance the past. 

If you are new to l5r, use my post below as a testament to how deeply people care for this game and it's community. Ask ol5r players about their time and contribution. 

Please reply with what has gotten you excited so far. 

If you are an old player, you have a lot of responsibility if you choose to. You know so much about Rokugan and it's community. Help the new players be excited. Teach and guide them. We knew at the end that we desperately needed new players, and Rokugan is intimidating. 

Please reply with your most memorable moments from ol5r. 

There is a reason the l5r community is know as being one of the most passionate communities in gaming. Let's stay that way and add patient and kind to the list as well. 

UTZ! 

------------------------------------------------------

This is a big day,

With Legend of the Five Rings moving to FFG, so much can change, and so much can stay the same. I personally am very excited about the move and hope it is done with ease and consideration. This post is to the potential new players. This post is NOT intended for existing players.

Welcome to Rokugan! There are many Clans and depending on the move some or all of them may or may not continue to exist in some similar way to how they do now. It's all very confusing and up in the air. Let me tell you about my stay in Rokugan. A few years ago I was getting out out of MTG and wanted to pick up a new game. I went to my LGS and someone was putting together an introductory L5R tournament. I had been interested in the game, even doing a little research and new from the beginning that I was Scorpion. 

When I got there, the community was absolutely fantastic. I did not have a deck and the TO gave me (and others) a deck to play that day as the event was free. I was hooked. For years after that I have been playing this game and doing more. When I moved to college I brought it with me and even started up a play group. We meet next week actually as the semester JUST started. I have taught and included and converted so many people to this game. To this setting. To this world.

I played Magic for over 3 times as long as I have been playing L5R and it has not affected me NEARLY as much as L5R has. When I read the announcement today, I was simultaneously excited and scared. This is why: Legend of the Five Rings is a game that is long based in story. There is literally 1000 years of history in the setting. Rich, deep, complex history. There is an ENTIRE PLAYABLE faction because of the decision of a player several years ago. The game THRIVES on the story. The players get a huge say. When characters in the story get better, they get reprinted. They get better because the player base wants them. When they die, the don't get reprinted. They die because of the events of specific games. The community as a whole was recently allowed to vote on how each Clan gets to prepare for The Coming Darkness. I PROUDLY voted to not only abolish the established bureaucracy but to also force MY CLAN into a civil war based on the current situation. And I would do it again. Eagerly.

Now that is not to say that this will all happen now. I have actually been saying for a long time that I would like a reboot. I know I am in the minority in that way. But this is the closest I will ever get I am sure, and knowing that, I want to be there at the beginning. Helping and guiding like I have been for years. 

One of the problems L5R has had for years now is older veteran players making the game difficult for new players. Because there is so much history and emotional connection with this setting, people tend to fall into "back in my day" style attitudes. They have a hard time keeping new players hyped up. I have WATCHED older players force new ones away by berating them with obscure history lessons. "If you don't know about Paneki and how he matters then you aren't a REAL player". I have been there when they make new players feel bad about the cards they just bought. 

This cannot be allowed.

To the new players, I welcome you to Rokugan. It is a trying place with many many problems. Most of which are our own faults. To the the returning and older players: we MUST keep this place positive and exciting. This game exists BECAUSE of the players, so be the player you want everyone else to be. I have created too many play groups and stayed with this game too long. I know how much good just being exicted for the game can do. To that end, let's be excited together.

If you are interested in the incredibly complex and rich history that FFG is taking on, I encourage you to go to www.kazenoshiro.com That site has the story and you can catch up on what may or many not be the story when FFG produces the game. It's all very confusing and up in the air.

I look forward to serving the Empire with you all. UTZ!

Bayushi Croy

Liaison - Loyal - Unique - Courtier - Story Teller

Edited by BayushiCroy

Thanks for saying so. It is too important for it to not be acknowledged. 

On a side note I wonder what will happen with the clan forums. I hope they die honestly. I much prefer a centralized place for discussion. 

That's easy. FFG can put clan sub-forums here so you can go to discuss clan-specific issues. It may take a while for them to make it, but FFG has been responsive to requests from the community to make subforums for games (ex. sessions, deck-building, organized play, rules questions). I imagine if the community wanted it, we could get those clan subforums right here.

On a side note I wonder what will happen with the clan forums. I hope they die honestly. I much prefer a centralized place for discussion. 

They should die with honor...

...and then be resurected to serve the Spider Clan!

That's easy. FFG can put clan sub-forums here so you can go to discuss clan-specific issues. It may take a while for them to make it, but FFG has been responsive to requests from the community to make subforums for games (ex. sessions, deck-building, organized play, rules questions). I imagine if the community wanted it, we could get those clan subforums right here.

The question is will we see all the clans here again. Since it might be a little to many factions for FFG, so they might to make a decision on that first before implenting sub-forums that might no longer be featured in the LCG then. Also, I think sub-forums should be under a RPG section, but who knows when FFG will decide on how to approach that...

The question is will we see all the clans here again. Since it might be a little to many factions for FFG,

I have good hopes for that: There are 9 great clans.

The upcomming Game of thrones lcg has 8 factions right in the starter box. (Stark, baratheon, lanister,greyjoy; targaryen, martel, tyrell and the nightswatch and neutral characters makes 9)

40k Conquest will have 9 factions once the tyranids and necrons recieve their (anounced) expanions.

The  LCG format will help with accessibility as well.   I have great confidence in FFG.

I completely agree.

Ultimately, while I must acknowledge that some of the Clans could be lost, I don't think they will get rid of them. What I am much more worried for is the interactive story. That is something that could definitely be lost.

I looked at the LCG system and agree with you all that it will help new and old players. Accessibility will be great and price is reasonable to boot. The only question i have that may only be answered once we see what they have in mind, but will they make a format so we could us the old cards with the new? If they do not that is fine we could just have a legacy format maybe? Like most of us we have rather large collections and I for one would not like to see them gather dust. 

Hear, hear! 

Much of what has been said here already is good stuff. This game is great and most of the community is peerless in its camaraderie. Unfortunately part of what killed L5R as a CCG has to do with the small portion of the fan base that was completely toxic to the game. BayushiCroy already alluded to this somewhat. They made the online presence of L5R seem far more unhappy than it truly was. And if even one of the handful of people who dedicate their entire lives to being unhappy with L5R decides to move on, then this entire change up is absolutely worth it.

No doubt anyone that picks up this game is stepping in to a world of long-time players, but most of us are just as courteous and compassionate as Bushido demands. We love this game and at least this way we might actually get new players. 

I have no idea how this whole thing will shake out. I have no doubt that it'll be good I'm just not sure that it'll still be L5R to us entrenched CCG veterans. But we'll be there in the interim and when the game launches. I feel obligated, and I'm sure many others do as well, to help usher in this new era for game regardless of what the final product looks like. 

Welcome to Rokugan. Have you eaten rice today?

Yeah another CCG gets turned into an LCG. No more worrying about getting a good rare! (hoorah!) No more exitement when you rip open a booster pack! (haroo.) But I'm sure those long time fans will adapt.(Did the scorpion clan complain when they were exiled and crossing teh burning sand? -well ...) And it isn't the first time they changed the cards.

Oh and it wasn't rice. It was crab meat.

No not that type of Crab! Regular crab meat! Don't look at me like I'm some klind of oni! :D

I will say this. I fully recognize ALL of the incredible benefits of an LCG model over CCG, especially for L5R in particular. My issue with it though, especially with the ones out of FFG is this: it seems to be that because cards come out so quickly, there is less testing, which means some incredibly powerful decks get figured out. So every expansion always seems like an attempt to put down the top deck. Flavor of the Month style. The other problem I have is I then buy so many cards, most of which I will never use. And the cards I do want to use, I have to buy multiple sets of the same thing. This usually means I have one competitive deck and SO MANY UNUSED CARDS rather than buying singles. 

Now I know someone is going to say you can buy singles in LCGs. We all know it is harder as they are less in demand.

As for the Scorpion adapting: they can't get rid of us. They can't. We have been disbanded. Twice. We always come back.

As someone who has been aware of the game from quite some time, but never tried it, the FFG and LCG connection is getting my attention. Especially after their great reboot of AGOT. 

I will say this. I fully recognize ALL of the incredible benefits of an LCG model over CCG, especially for L5R in particular. My issue with it though, especially with the ones out of FFG is this: it seems to be that because cards come out so quickly, there is less testing, which means some incredibly powerful decks get figured out. So every expansion always seems like an attempt to put down the top deck. Flavor of the Month style. 

That's not really how it works. A cycle (6 packs) is designed and tested together. So, they are testing and designing a 120 card expansion, not 6 different 20 card expansion. 

As someone who has been aware of the game from quite some time, but never tried it, the FFG and LCG connection is getting my attention. Especially after their great reboot of AGOT. 

I will say this. I fully recognize ALL of the incredible benefits of an LCG model over CCG, especially for L5R in particular. My issue with it though, especially with the ones out of FFG is this: it seems to be that because cards come out so quickly, there is less testing, which means some incredibly powerful decks get figured out. So every expansion always seems like an attempt to put down the top deck. Flavor of the Month style. 

That's not really how it works. A cycle (6 packs) is designed and tested together. So, they are testing and designing a 120 card expansion, not 6 different 20 card expansion. 

I did not know that. Still better for L5R for getting story choices out faster, if they choose to do that.

Thanks.

That's a good thing for those of us who don't know LCGs to know.

I had a lot of misconceptions about LCGs before the switch. I honestly thought the L stood for "limited" as opposed to "collectible", and had in my head that it was a one and done release that would never be iterated on. So, I'm happy to be wrong, and I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Typically there will be a cycle, then a big box expansion that focuses on a specific faction.  Some times the big box will even add a faction (see Game of Thrones 1.0). With Netrunner, the big boxes focused on a Runner faction and a Corp Faction.  Each big box or "Deluxe Expansion"for Netrunner is 165 cards (a playset of all 55 cards).

Also, each cycle usually has it's own themes and focus.

Edited by Silver Crane

I hope they wont go the call of Cthulhu route with releasing only big expansion centered on one faction (they still contain other faction crads, but the lions share is cards for just one faction) it's been years and I will finally get my Hastur set.

Netrunner would be a good way to do it.

I could see a cycle leading up to where two clans have a duke it out session, culminating in the big box release of both clans. The preceding or succeeding cycle could have the other clans inciting or responding to the situation.

Like "A matter of honor" wich was Lion vs Crab.

And maybe focus on particular win condition: Lion vs Crane honor, or pitting clans against each other who go for different win conditions like Crane Vs Scorpion (dis)honor or Dragon (enlightenment) vs Spider (flat out killing stuff)

I would rather the single faction big box route, but with the LotR spice added in.

Kind of like how LotR has more big box expansions due to the saga stuff. I would love if FFG bucked the trend at least once and ended up releasing two big box expansions close together. I know, that is expecting a lot from a company that probably haven't even started planning the core set.

We're all just excited by the L5R prospects and I hope that our posts are letting FFG know that we are HYPED!