Sign in to follow this  
Vor Trex

Is Aftermath worth buying......

First they came for the Trade Federation, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not in the Trade Federation.

Then they came for the Jedi, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jedi.

Then they came for the Rebels, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Rebel.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

I'm going to read this book eventually. I will not lie. I've read most of the EU even when it was terrible and painful and I will start over now. I may end up missing some great old EU characters and I may love new ones. What I won't do is pay full price for the book as the writing style is something I feel is painful. Chapter one was not something I could finish online without the pay off of being able to complete the book. I will likely go to the library for this one.

His style is a bit awkward at times, but to be fair so is Tolkien's or Arthur Conan Doyle's... Which isn't to say I put him on par with those two. Just that in both those cases you have to get used to the style.

But so far, having read the first few chapters I don't think it's nearly as bad as some people are making out. But between the new canon hate, and somewhat different style, I think a lot of people are saying negative things about it that it doesn't really deserve.

There was bound to be some people who would lash out at it, for no other reason they it's not Heir to the Empire. Then again it seems that today, there has become a very real point of people spewing hate about stuff, just because they seem to enjoy doing so.

Edited by VanorDM

The audiobook was not for me. The audio effects were distracting at best, and the narrator seemed to feel he needed to ramp up his reading to "performing" and it turned campy. Really, really campy. Maybe I'll try reading it myself, but I don't think the writing style is what I like to read. 

I'm going to read this book eventually. I will not lie. I've read most of the EU even when it was terrible and painful and I will start over now. I may end up missing some great old EU characters and I may love new ones. What I won't do is pay full price for the book as the writing style is something I feel is painful. Chapter one was not something I could finish online without the pay off of being able to complete the book. I will likely go to the library for this one.

Libraries are awesome. Mine didn't have a copy, but they're buying one. I'm first in line to read it!

The audiobook was not for me. The audio effects were distracting at best, and the narrator seemed to feel he needed to ramp up his reading to "performing" and it turned campy. Really, really campy. Maybe I'll try reading it myself, but I don't think the writing style is what I like to read. 

I have never tried an audiobook before. I like reading and do it really fast when I want to digest a book.

I like books to sweep me into the action. With Aftermath, I felt like I was in a stream with a slow trickle. It moved, just not at a pace I liked.

I love reading, when I have the time.

When we go on a holiday to the UK we plunder bookstores as we like several writers/books in their original language.

When I guiltily show up to pay a pile of books I am always glad to see the misses has done the same :)

I happily read Star Wars books, even the crappy ones, sometimes they are the only ones I can comprehend when the kids delivered me a week of sleep deprivation ;)

I shall follow the advice to wait for the paperback :)

Edited by Cununculus

I think due to contracts and other such stuff, he wrote the book in like 6 weeks.  I hope this does not also cover editing and rewriting but it might have.

I enjoyed it, but it did come off as a bit sloppy or rushed.  It is definitely not the best or worst of the new EU books.

I think due to contracts and other such stuff, he wrote the book in like 6 weeks.  I hope this does not also cover editing and rewriting but it might have.

I enjoyed it, but it did come off as a bit sloppy or rushed.  It is definitely not the best or worst of the new EU books.

Different authors have different speeds. And that most definitely did not cover editing.

Old man riding a donkey led by a boy.

Passersby say: "it's terrible how that boy is leading the donkey while that old man just sits there."

So the old man gets down and the boy sits on the donkey.

Passersby say: "it's terrible how that old man is having to walk while the boy gets to ride on the donkey."

So both sit on the donkey.

Passersby say: "that poor donkey, having to carry the weight of those two sitting on it."

So they both walk.

Passersby say: "that poor old man having to walk when he could easily ride on the donkey."

I would have liked this except the donkey didn't get his turn to ride either the boy or the old man.

And that's racist. To donkeys. Maybe to ponies too.

I have never tried an audiobook before. I like reading and do it really fast when I want to digest a book.

I like books to sweep me into the action. With Aftermath, I felt like I was in a stream with a slow trickle. It moved, just not at a pace I liked.

Yeah, I have a 40-minute commute to work each way, which amounts to more than 6.5 hours of driving each week. I listen to audiobooks while I drive, because it's a great way for me to pay attention to the book while also being able to focus on the fairly mindless task of driving. As a result, I'm really picky about narrators. I've returned audiobooks (did you know you can return books to Audible even after you've listened?) after just 15-20 minutes because I couldn't stand the narrator. This is one of those books. However, based on what I heard, I think the "describe a movie to a person who cannot see" style of writing (at least, that's how the first several pages are written) would not please me on the page, either. 

Yeah, I have a 40-minute commute to work each way, which amounts to more than 6.5 hours of driving each week. I listen to audiobooks while I drive, because it's a great way for me to pay attention to the book while also being able to focus on the fairly mindless task of driving. As a result, I'm really picky about narrators. I've returned audiobooks (did you know you can return books to Audible even after you've listened?) after just 15-20 minutes because I couldn't stand the narrator. This is one of those books. However, based on what I heard, I think the "describe a movie to a person who cannot see" style of writing (at least, that's how the first several pages are written) would not please me on the page, either. 

I drive a lot as well, and listen to a lot of audiobooks

......or should I save my money and wait for the highlights on Wookieepedia?

Hey Fantasy Flight Games community!

I'm Vor Trex, a rather pathetic attempt at a Star Wars RPG name from "vortex" that I've now gotten used to.

So what this all comes down to is that I'm really excited about Episode VII, especially since I've not read any EU so nothing has been "thrown out" for me. But I'd like to know what happened between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens. Allegedly, the book "Aftermath" was being hailed as the book to reveal just that.

Between book reviews and posts around the forums, it seems it isn't all it was hyped up to be.

Have any of you read the book and, if so, would you recommend it?

You might find it helpful to know that I'd be happy if it was full of galaxy spanning facts and little actual story. Unless it was horrifically written.

No to both your options, Wookiepedia summary or vuy novel.  A new source book will come out in a while, 5 years tops.  Just buy the source book.  The novels have details clouded by character perception, source books have the facts written down as they truly are.  Wookieepedia condenses its information to save space and their articles are unreliable since their editors lie about things they write.  I caught one in a major lie, since I have no time to fact check every article they have its  safer too assume its all garbage.

The author appears to be a jerk as well, which is why I wouldn't buy his book.  He has attacked Christians and declared anyone that goes to a social hub and complains about anything SW as "non-SWfans."  Sooo SW fans don't exist I guess.

Your better off getting SW Uprising.  It has some strangle moded TIE Advanced in it that are sorta shaped like TIER Avengers but they have normal advanced panels and carry two cannons on their pylons.  You got Purge Troopers and some other type that looks like they are ether Dark Trooper Commanders black Imperial NAVY Commandos or slightly moded Rouge Squadron Storm Commandos.  Also the Zann Consortium are in this game.

Edited by Black Knight Leader

I've seen his tweets and he came off as very peevish.

Its worse than that Jim, we are dead.  He said any SW fan going too social media and complain about SW is no longer a SW fan.  Also people giving his book a bad review because you like Legends = kicked from fandom.

Kerensky warned us of the days we would to hold on to our title of the fandom we belong with a grip equal too a Steel Viper.  The 2nd canon and fandom wars have come.

Let the next verse begin

He has attacked Christians 

He has attacked homophobes, and while you may believe the two things are indistinguishable, they are not. 

He said any SW fan going too social media and complain about SW is no longer a SW fan.  Also people giving his book a bad review because you like Legends = kicked from fandom.

Another lie. Cite or acknowledge that at best you are simply repeating things you were told. 

Nowhere have I found he has attacked Christians or any other religion for that matter.

He might have been harsh towards some cirtics, but the critics were harsh too.

When two people fight, two people are to blame...

Edited: spelling ;)

Edited by Cununculus

......or should I save my money and wait for the highlights on Wookieepedia?

Hey Fantasy Flight Games community!

I'm Vor Trex, a rather pathetic attempt at a Star Wars RPG name from "vortex" that I've now gotten used to.

So what this all comes down to is that I'm really excited about Episode VII, especially since I've not read any EU so nothing has been "thrown out" for me. But I'd like to know what happened between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens. Allegedly, the book "Aftermath" was being hailed as the book to reveal just that.

Between book reviews and posts around the forums, it seems it isn't all it was hyped up to be.

Have any of you read the book and, if so, would you recommend it?

You might find it helpful to know that I'd be happy if it was full of galaxy spanning facts and little actual story. Unless it was horrifically written.

No to both your options, Wookiepedia summary or vuy novel. A new source book will come out in a while, 5 years tops. Just buy the source book. The novels have details clouded by character perception, source books have the facts written down as they truly are. Wookieepedia condenses its information to save space and their articles are unreliable since their editors lie about things they write. I caught one in a major lie, since I have no time to fact check every article they have its safer too assume its all garbage.

The author appears to be a jerk as well, which is why I wouldn't buy his book. He has attacked Christians and declared anyone that goes to a social hub and complains about anything SW as "non-SWfans." Sooo SW fans don't exist I guess.

Your better off getting SW Uprising. It has some strangle moded TIE Advanced in it that are sorta shaped like TIER Avengers but they have normal advanced panels and carry two cannons on their pylons. You got Purge Troopers and some other type that looks like they are ether Dark Trooper Commanders black Imperial NAVY Commandos or slightly moded Rouge Squadron Storm Commandos. Also the Zann Consortium are in this game.

A source book would be a good idea.

I'll wait for that definitely.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. You kinda got lost among all the discussion about the author.

On that topic.

I'm a heterosexual with religious beliefs who finds homosexuality disgusting. You notice I said homosexuality not homosexuals. They're people too and deserve to be treat with dignity and respect. So if I was reading a book and there was a gay character I'd keep reading so long as there were no graphic love scenes. But I'd close a book if it had graphic loves scenes between a man and a woman too so again that makes little difference.

ALL the reviews and hate I've read, and I've read about twenty, have all criticized the bad writing, poor plot etc. Not one of them ever mentioned the one gay character. Probably because those reviewers are real people who live in the real world and don't see that as an issue. Like me. If most of the reviews berated him in a homophobic tirade, I'd believe this was biased by prejudice and get the book believing those people were blinded by their hate.

Can we please keep this topic about the book.

Whether the author is a cool guy or a jerk is not the point. I know someone who doesn't listen to Johnny Cash because "he wasn't a nice person" in their opinion. Might be true, I don't know, but I just enjoy the music. Same person enjoyed Elton John music, but "went off his music" when they found out he was gay. Why? The music didn't change. Please don't be "that person" who refuses to even consider a book because there's a gay character or the author is a moron.

Personally, I'm not getting the book because more are saying how terrible the writing and plot are. I don't want to spend money on a book that even Star Wars fans hate, and hate for valid reasons.

Edited by Vor Trex

The sexual orientation comes up only as a clarification and then it doesn't appear again. Having a gay male character simply state that he is gay is the least offensive part of this novel.  

@ Vor Tex: very similar to my way of thinking on homosexuality. I call it "the eggplant" approach.

I can't stand eggplant as a food. Will make me vomit if I try to eat it. But I won't begrudge someone else who likes it and if that is what they want to eat then they are free to do so. I won't be upset that that is their choice and I have better things to be upset about. To each his own.

The writing style is pretty unique

this is perhaps the only non-negative way to describe the "writing".
The writing itself is about par for sci fi, but that style takes some acclimitization. Feels different. Some sentences complete. Many not.

You seem to allude to sci fi having lower quality writing. Can you please give me a list of books (or authors) that you can compare this to?

I never read any Star Wars books, I was going to pick up this one, but 40euros for the hardback made me reconsider for now. I am trying to get a grip on how good/bad it is first. I like reading sci fi, but  there is a tier of sci fi books which are on par with crime or romance novels which I avoid.

The writing style is pretty unique

this is perhaps the only non-negative way to describe the "writing".
The writing itself is about par for sci fi, but that style takes some acclimitization. Feels different. Some sentences complete. Many not.

You seem to allude to sci fi having lower quality writing. Can you please give me a list of books (or authors) that you can compare this to?

I never read any Star Wars books, I was going to pick up this one, but 40euros for the hardback made me reconsider for now. I am trying to get a grip on how good/bad it is first. I like reading sci fi, but  there is a tier of sci fi books which are on par with crime or romance novels which I avoid.

Stephen Baxter quality.

I've been trying to figure out what makes this book bog down and it is the meeting between the admiral, Grand Moff, advisor, moneylender that wastes the pacing of the book. Its all bickering. There's no coup attempt, poisoning, grab for power, or anything interesting in this. It could have been summed up or reduced considerably.

The point to good writing is to leave out the uninteresting bits. Giving a Cspan view of the minutes of the meeting with no outcome is boring and uninteresting. The really interesting part, the rebel fleet finally showing up to deal with the Star Destroyers, is all but 5 to 10 pages of action of one character while the meeting was 1/4 of the book.

For Chuck I would advise less Cspan and more space pew pew.

Just finished the book today.   I woudl have finished it sooner but the writing style made it difficult for me to stick with.  I often had to put it down after only a few pages, due to frustration.  Once I hit the halfway mark though I was able to finish the rest of the book in 2 days. 

I'll say this.   It's the worst book I've ever read.   Granted I have only started reading seriously the last few months, and have read amazing books like the Martian and Ready Player One.  So it being the "worst" might not mean all that much. 

My main complaints follow:  There may be SPOILERS

1: Writing Style - Wedge tells Ackbar, Mon Monthma: "We have to do X,Y, Z"  Things like that annoy me.  The author uses a TON of colons and incomplete sentences.   At one part there are two paragraphs contains entirely in parentesis.  Consecutive paragraphs.   And they were about the same topic.  I don't see why they needed to be two separate paragraphs, nor why each of them needed to be completely enclosed in parentesis.  Things like that distract me from the story and make me think about the grammar and syntax way too much.

2: Hollow Story - There is virtually no motivation for the people to do the things that they are doing.  The only real motivation is money, a bounty hunter is going to share her bounty with everyone if they all team up and kill all the imperial bad guys....  It isn't "Believable".  A Mother who's only motivation in the world is to be with her son and save him, abandon's her son at the drop of a hat and disregards her entire motivation multiple times in the story.  The "Gay" character isn't gay until a single line in the last few chapters, and there's no reason for him to be gay, other than out of NOWHERE one of the female characters is like "Hey, do you want to have sex after this mission is complete?" and he says no.   Hell he might not even BE gay, he might have been trying to let her down gently.   Anyhow, it had NOTHING to do with ANYTHING and I would have rather him have a husband or something so that there was some reason to mention his orientation other than the sake of diversity. 

3: Main Character X Dies.   Next page you find out the author lied.  - Author does this like 4 or 5 times in the book and it gets old quick. Explosion - and he lay there, dead.    Next page :"Well I thought I was dead, but turns out I've just got a bump on the head".  It it happened once I'd think it was clever.   It happens TOO much.   And when peopel DO die, it isn't even mentioned until MUCH later, "Oh yeah this person died 4 days ago BTW". 

4: Doesn't feel at ALL like Star Wars.-   Insert this story into any other setting and it's still a lame story that "works" anywhere.   Nothing about it has much to do with "Star Wars" unless you consider people's backstory, which doesn't really matter. 

5: Interludes - These blasted interludes are TOO MUCH.   Almost every chapter ends with an Interlude after it.   It is frustrating to feel like I have to read an entirely new story every 6 or 7 pages.  And while one or two of the interludes are interesting, I found many of them to be forgettable or otherwise uninteresting.  It would have been better to have maybe 2 or 3 interludes tops, instead of like thirty.  (Don't have an exact count but it feels like thirty of them). 

6: Lack of Legacy EU Tie-Ins - I was expecting at least one character from the EU to show up, or for them to name-drop someone.   I know this is a weak gripe, but it's my last one.