Sign in to follow this  
KennedyHawk2

Where to start?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to learn how to play Armada but I don't have a big local scene just a few other players and they play on nights I'm unavailable as of now.

Is there a good guide on strategy and squad building available.

I bought the game at launch played it once or twice and just now picked up some of the expansions (one of each Imperial one).

Any tips on learning strategy and team building would be great!

Thanks!

ooh, imperials eh?

I always recommend the assault frigate for learning the ropes (manuevering restraints and heavy emphasis on foresight make for a long learning curve), because it is very forgiving being reasonably durable, fast, and packing two very large arcs to accommodate for a lot of maneuvers (regardless of quality :P)

for imps? I guess demolisher. Being able to move, then shoot makes it far easier to apply to some poor bastard's face so there's that. Learning how to use that capability to make an impact rather than an expensive suicide boat, however, takes a lot of learning :P

VSDs are, I guess, forgiving in their durability and firepower but very unforgiving in being the stiffest bastards around. Oh well, that'll come with experience.

Just slap down both VSDs and a demolisher GSD, and fill out with some squadrons to start.

If you need extra help, Tarkin with Defensive Liasons on your ships can help you change commands on the fly (very good when learning command 3 vsds)

When we started games, the biggest mistake we made was flying the ships off the board.  If you own both sides of the core play a few mock games on a gaming surface to get the turning radiuses of ships down right.   For tactics and ship building I found for the longest time never taking the same set up helped me more find what I love to play with.   My last piece of advice is if you have a good friend to play with do not choose 3 objectives before you make your fleet but randomly play 1 mission after you built your fleet.  (Then take it out of the rotation until you have played them all)  We found this helped our games immensely.

When we started games, the biggest mistake we made was flying the ships off the board.  If you own both sides of the core play a few mock games on a gaming surface to get the turning radiuses of ships down right.   For tactics and ship building I found for the longest time never taking the same set up helped me more find what I love to play with.   My last piece of advice is if you have a good friend to play with do not choose 3 objectives before you make your fleet but randomly play 1 mission after you built your fleet.  (Then take it out of the rotation until you have played them all)  We found this helped our games immensely.

Thanks to this and the other suggestion they will surely help a lot :)

I have one other guy who plays with me locally. I put any down time I have with him, otherwise I'll play against myself. It's lame, but it's effective to learn how to fly and what works or doesn't. I'd recommend reading some of the fleet threads and getting some ideas for your own fleets.

It's frustrating to have a good list in your eyes only to kick your own rear and trying to figure out if you could have done better with the same ships or if it's not a great build for you.