Sign in to follow this  
Evenflow30

Debating the new x-wing "fix"

How does everyone feel about the new mod card for x-wings,the integrated astromech card? Personally I see it as a half fix for the t-65:

1) it makes the t-65 better at jousting, which is what it originally designed to be.

2) obviously it doesn't address added mobility to the ship, which is what I wanted. More maneuverable ships, especially arc dodgers can give the t-65 fits, unless it's equipped with the costly 4pt EU.

How do you guys feel? Is there a way to make the t-65 more maneuverable without making it a t-70 clone?

I was just looking at it, and noticed that it's 0 points.. 

So I mean, it will pretty much never hurt to throw on. I don't see it as a 'fix' but I do think it would add some viability, potentially at a key moment in the fight that may actually mean winning or losing. 

So in that way, I can see it's value - and I quite like it. It will be a very 'desperate' ability that thematically mirrors what I was feeling while watching the Rebel Fighters during the movies, they're going to have to resort to measures that are less than desirable to get the job done. 

It's neat. I'll give it that, I still want to see Rebel Aces 2 with more goodness though. 

I'm actually kinda bummed that I gotta wait for these ships for Wave 7 though, good thing i bought 2 cores.... 

Malev

Most annoying that the T-65 'fix' ships in the T-70 blister, and there's only one of them.  I'm really not going to go run out and buy four T-70s so I can strengthen a T-65 swarm.

(That it is supposed to be the X-Wing 'fix' is apparently by the limitation on it.  I mean, what harm would throwing this on a Y-Wing or E-Wing do?  It's not exactly overpowered...)

It's an extra hit point--equivalent to a shield, or a little better--for free, as long as you were already taking an astromech and weren't taking a modification. That's pretty close to what the X-wing needed to be competitive, in a mathwing sense.

Does that mean it's THE FIX everyone's been waiting for? Possibly not. I'd like to see an X-wing fix that makes the ship more interesting, rather than just making it a better jouster (although it's important that it'll be a better jouster now). I'm sure we'll see something like that, eventually.

Much like the IG-2000 title, it may have a 0 pt cost on the card, but there is an actual cost. You have to include at least 1 pt in Astromech upgrades. It's not a bad cost, sure. Especially if you are using a cheap astromech. But, there is still a cost. 

Most annoying that the T-65 'fix' ships in the T-70 blister, and there's only one of them.  I'm really not going to go run out and buy four T-70s so I can strengthen a T-65 swarm.

(That it is supposed to be the X-Wing 'fix' is apparently by the limitation on it.  I mean, what harm would throwing this on a Y-Wing or E-Wing do?  It's not exactly overpowered...)

I can't see a problem with putting it on the E-wing, although it wouldn't help them enough. Putting it on a Y-wing, though... there are already some pretty potent Y-wing builds out there, and I don't think those lists need any more help at all.

So I mean, it will pretty much never hurt to throw on. I don't see it as a 'fix' but I do think it would add some viability, potentially at a key moment in the fight that may actually mean winning or losing. 

So in that way, I can see it's value - and I quite like it. It will be a very 'desperate' ability that thematically mirrors what I was feeling while watching the Rebel Fighters during the movies, they're going to have to resort to measures that are less than desirable to get the job done. 

It's neat. I'll give it that, I still want to see Rebel Aces 2 with more goodness though. 

I'm actually kinda bummed that I gotta wait for these ships for Wave 7 though, good thing i bought 2 cores.... 

Malev

I think it can hurt though....its a modification so no EU in your t-65 when its equipped.

This is something my THC laded brain cells were unable to process.

Yeah that sucks.

especially since I bought two cores.

Malev

It would save Corran Horn from that direct hit. Otherwise yeah it's not going to break anything really.

This is something my THC laded brain cells were unable to process.

Yeah that sucks.

especially since I bought two cores.

Malev

Like I always say, patience pays off with FFG. There is a reason I'm only getting one of the new cores. And I get the feeling the Integrated Astromech may reappear.

Y-Wings aren't hurting for durability. E-Wings could have also used it, and I can't come up with a good reason why it shouldn't.

This is a solid buff, though. For basically one point, you can have Rookie Squadron pilots with every speed 1-2 green move, and the ability to discard their droid to prevent lethal damage or a nasty crit.

It also doesn't really help the higher-PS named pilots, as they usually want Engine Upgrade instead of this.

It would save Corran Horn from that direct hit. Otherwise yeah it's not going to break anything really.

Maybe, but that would also mean a Corran Horn who couldn't take Engine Upgrade, as his modification slot was eaten up, and who is about to burn his R2-D2 that seems to be glued to his hip, so can't regenerate all of his shields back in short order.

I'm not sure that's an improvement for him.  Indeed, I can't really imagine Corran ever actually making that choice, unless there was something about the list build that made it desperately short on points...

I'm not convinced yet, but it looks decent. Especially if you weren't taking something like Artoo. My first instinct is to break out the old Wes-Wedge-Farlander Triforce build and see how it goes with a not insignificant boost to Wes and Wedge's survivability.

I think it's sorta rubbish. Won't get me to play more T-65s at all.

Overall, very underwhelmed with both the T-70 and TIE/fo expansions unless they are only $10 USD (hint: they won't be).

That's crazy talk. Did you actually see the TIE/fo expansion? Omega Leader's the first TIE/fo pilot I actually want to use, Juke and Comm Relay are both very strong upgrades that boost the power of the Evade action and are the first things I've seen that actually make the TIE/fo a viable ship.