Sign in to follow this  
Pikciwok

Home One official preview

mc80-command-cruiser.png

Up to 7 squadrons per every activation (Bay + Raymus). Nice attack and solid defence. THIS is the dedicated "carrier" I needed.

I don't get it the image in the article shows only 4 for squadron not 5

...  My article just updated from 5 to 4 on a refresh

... So did mine.

Seriously, FFG, seriously?

Ackbar works well with a line of battle, but i certainly wouldnt touch him with Corvettes, Neb-B's or probably MC30's.

As mentioned, you LOSE firepower if you have more than 2 front battery dice, and can position to get 2 arcs. Corvettes and probably MC30's should have no issues at all doing this, basically ever. So paying 38 points to lose firepower seems....unwise.

Ackbar + MC30 with gunnery team + Rapid reload is like 4 Red + 4 black twice (assuming that the other Mc30 variant will be Red+Black instead of Blue+Black) maximum of 16 damage or with Home One you could do 14+accuracy to cancel brace token.. Then again odds are pretty slim for that to happen.

The MC30 has WIDE sweeping arcs like the MC80 getting 2 arcs can be a pain.

Yeah, thats the main reason that one isn't decided yet. I'll need to get table time before i can decide how easy the fish is to get on target in a real environment. 

Actually, Squadron Value of 4 makes it easier to plan my fleet.  I was going nuts thinking about stuffing 7 squadrons in a list with a command cruiser and Yavaris.  Really hard to then also shoehorn in Gallant Haven, so now I can chill and not try to go crazy heavy on squadrons AND ships...

Ackbar works well with a line of battle, but i certainly wouldnt touch him with Corvettes, Neb-B's or probably MC30's.

As mentioned, you LOSE firepower if you have more than 2 front battery dice, and can position to get 2 arcs. Corvettes and probably MC30's should have no issues at all doing this, basically ever. So paying 38 points to lose firepower seems....unwise.

Ackbar + MC30 with gunnery team + Rapid reload is like 4 Red + 4 black twice (assuming that the other Mc30 variant will be Red+Black instead of Blue+Black) maximum of 16 damage or with Home One you could do 14+accuracy to cancel brace token.. Then again odds are pretty slim for that to happen.

Thats gonna be expensive though. Putting the MC30 at 60ish (based on Gladiator costs), thats 75points each with upgrades. Ackbar leaves you 362 to play with....at most you get 4 of them with some change. If you want an MC80, probably only 2, or 3 with no other support. And those little suckers look fragile as hell.

However, talk about alpha strike of doom!

Yeah, i actually think these will be the saving of squadrons. They can really act as "battle carriers" in exactly the way you suggest. If the enemy doesnt have a screen, the combo of 4/5 squadrons )or more) AND a full round of MC80/ISD fire is just devastating.

Holy cow... the devastation...

An MC30 with Ackbar and Rapid Reload puts you at 8 dice at close range from one side arc.  It is like having a hypermobile ISD I front arc, and I think having your second side arc on something isn't totally unreasonable.  Imperials will probably fly tight for the purpose of not getting Slashed, so you can gets opportunities to punish that.

I don't buy all the Ackbar hype. He's very expensive for what he is, and while yes, he allows extra dice, I think I'll stick with Rieekan's 'final stand' ability

It will come down to an ability that works every turn all game long or an ability that only works when a ship would go boom.

Either way I like them both

Thinking about it more, I actually think Tarkin is better for the points due to his versatility. That's a cross faction comparison of course though, and therefore objectively useless as Rebels can't have Tarkin.

Sure, he can only add 1 dice, but it doesn't have to be red and you aren't arc limited. Plus he can do so much more.

Edited by Extropia

Thinking about it more, I actually think Tarkin is better for the points due to his versatility. That's a cross faction comparison of course though, and therefore objectively useless as Rebels can't have Tarkin.

christ, imagine how annoying that'd be

it's shoot and scoot with the "scoot" in 10 foot tall, neon green letters that flash with strobe lights

navigate tokens all round ee'ry round

Hmmmmmm I don't know. . . Tarkin affects all ships as well but you at best get 6 tokens per ship, Akbar gets 6 turns of uses from both arcs per ship. . .

I understand why hypothetically akbar is useful, especially for assault frigates with gunnery team, but I can't imagine a position where your going to get both broadsides in with the mc80 unless the other player is playing very loosely. I'm also not convinced sending a ship that's going to be very very high priority anyway into the middle of the enemy fleet is a good idea. yeah its a tough ship, a really tough ship but your going to be shot by basically everyone and you can only do so much with the defense tokens. I'd rather stick with a more flexible commander. 

However that said I am god awful at this game and have never won a single game as rebels so maybe someone can enlighten me as how to use him (and point me to a write up on how to actually play rebels because I am beyond frustrated with them).  

How are people figuring AFM2's with gunnery team and Ackbar will be of any use ... his card specifically states you need to use both his left and right batteries for the effect. Someone explain what I am missing.

Hmmmmmm I don't know. . . Tarkin affects all ships as well but you at best get 6 tokens per ship, Akbar gets 6 turns of uses from both arcs per ship. . .

That's very situational. You absolutely will not ever get 6 turns firing both arcs on all ships. Ahe as mentioned, Tarkin gives options, both to help tank or manoeuvre.

But still...not a useful comparison anyway, they are never in competition in a list.

How are people figuring AFM2's with gunnery team and Ackbar will be of any use ... his card specifically states you need to use both his left and right batteries for the effect. Someone explain what I am missing.

My bad, doesn't show it at all. We'll see!

Edited by Extropia

uh...no it doesn't. it explicitly states "only its left and right hull zones," not that it has to use both

"Before a friendly ship’s Attack Step, it may choose to attack from only its left and right hull zones this round. If it does, it may add 2 red dice to its attack pool while attacking a ship."

so you can choose to give up your front and butt arcs to fire only from the sides

which means: **** the greedy Akbar Slash; strafe like a nerfherder

seriously, if you had to attack from both left and right (which is literally impossible without at least two distinct targets) Akbar would be garbage

Edited by ficklegreendice

Akbar's wording is that you can only attack from the left and right hull zones. Not that you have to attack with both. So a Gunnery Teams attack from an Assault Frigates side arc at 2 different ships does trigger the ability.

Unless I'm mistaken, wouldn't Home One also work on red dice?  ie. turning a blank red into an accuracy?

The example given for leading shots+Home One in the article doesn't seem necessary as just using Home One without leading shots would have yielded the same result.  They are discarded 2 hits to gain 2 hits. :unsure:

Also it seems the ion cannon upgrade with the MC-80 makes accuracy results also do one damage, meaning every face on a blue does damage.  That one is going to be bloody expensive!

Edit:  Misread the cards and including the "add 1" for the slaved turrets while switching between tabs.  The ion cannon upgrade defiantly seems to do something like I first proposed.

Seems to read "While att(acking) each of y(our) accuracy icons ad(d) (something) to the d(something)

Is the last visible part of the third line "ad"?

Edited by Toburk

If I had the models, I'd certainly run 8 corvettes and Akbar. Corvettes lose no more dice than any other rebel ship, and at long range they simply trade the front arc for two dice on the side. This means I don't need the CR-90 to point inwards. With that many activations and my vettes always able to run away that's some serious control of the battle.

Edited by Tranenturm

mc80-command-cruiser.png

Up to 7 squadrons per every activation (Bay + Raymus). Nice attack and solid defence. THIS is the dedicated "carrier" I needed.

You can only put one expanded hanger on the ship, unfortuently. The FAQ cover this -- No double stacking the same card.

Fleet Building, p.6 This entry should include the following bullet point: “A ship cannot equip more than one copy of the same upgrade card.”

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/7d/99/7d997d2d-ba95-4164-aaec-5f085521e615/armada_faq_v10.pdf

He said nothing about the Same card.

He said a Hangar Bay, and Raymus Antilles...

Thats a Squadron Command (5) + Hangar Bay (+1), Plus a Squadron Token you've gained without Spending the Dial from Antilles (+1)

= 7.

The actual preview shows a squadron command of 4.

Why is this pic a 5?