Sign in to follow this  
Dean3PO

So, what's next for adventure modules and career sourcebooks for AoR?

Unfortunately the Diplomat book took it a little too far. Those specs are so ridiculously specialized that the GM needs to really build around the players having those to get them to function interestingly.

All players should get spotlight time and an opportunity to be interesting.

Unfortunately the Diplomat book took it a little too far. Those specs are so ridiculously specialized that the GM needs to really build around the players having those to get them to function interestingly.

The opportunity should be there, but it's the players' jobs to actually make the most of those opportunities. Failing to shine is typically a player failure more than a GM failure.

I think that Age would get a lot more love if it found some variety beyond battling the Empire with blasters, torpedoes, and cannon. I really think that the Spy book, and ideally a Spy-theme-based adventure would really help here.

Agreed.  We did have the Diplomat book though, which did at least feel different.

The general feel is that AOR does what we've all done before - the WEG version had you as 'plucky rebels' by default.  It can feel like a tired trope now.  One of the things that first attracted me to EoE was that it felt refreshingly different, a new look at a genre that had gone stale with 30+ years of bad fanfiction.  Star Wars stories that were something beyond shooting stormtroopers, that weren't saturated with lightsaber wielders.

(That's also one reason I've no interest in the new films too - it feels like rebels vs Empire again with new names.  I hated the prequels but I understand that they were forced to deal with what came before. I wish the sequels had tried to move in a fresher direction.)

Well, even in the EU it was decades from the fall of the Emperor to the New Republic getting control of the majority of what was the Old Republic. The various warring Moffs consolidated into the Imperial Remnant some time after the Emperor's fall. So, the new movies aren't a big surprise. It's a large galaxy and the Rebellion didn't have the resources, or the territory to protect, that the Empire did.

Yeah but saying that the NR didn't control the majority of the Old Republic's territory is overestimating the size of the Imperial Remanent massively. By five years post-Endor the Empire was down to 25 percent of its pre-Rebellion territory. While there were a couple of brief comebacks by the time the treaty ended the war the Remanent was down to 8 sectors out of 1000. That's less then one percent of its territory.

The opportunity should be there, but it's the players' jobs to actually make the most of those opportunities. Failing to shine is typically a player failure more than a GM failure.

Spoken like a GM. I know players who disagree. I've been one; having created characters with interesting specializations that were ignored by lazy or unprepared GMs who fall back on combat encounters to pad out a game session.

Point being, if you want a player to shine, optional rules that give them the opportunity to do so are good.

I'd like either a Commander sourcebook or a fleet battle adventure.

I'm hoping for rules for Gladiator Class Star Destroyers and Imperial Raiders.

My Empire Adversaries use Gladiators instead of Gozantis. Bigger, stronger and carry 24 Ties.

And one day the Raiders will appear. Though my campaign has started four years before the raider is created.

I would like the Gladiator and some more Imp Sil 6 designs. Just please don't bring back the Imperial-II class Frigate from Saga because that thing's stats were absurd. It was one fourth the size of an /imperial Star Destroyer but it needed more then half the crew of an ISD, carried a little over half the passengers, had a higher cargo capacity, carried the same fighter compliment, and had incredibly strong weapons and defenses for a ship its size from the GCW era. Worse its one major flaw made it pretty much useless for anything other then garrison duty because its hyperdrive is so slow it can't effectively respond to any crisis in other systems and if they are deployed in a mixed fleet that force has to hold itself to at the fastest half the maxuimum hyperspeed of the other warships in it to let the frigates keep up.

Commander intrigues me, so that's what I want to see next. I'll echo the idea of more detailed capital ship combat rules (like SoT did for 'fighters). Most of the ships I would want to see would be Rebellion in nature, even if the options from Armada are the only ones they use.

But I would be willing to support an Engineer book; it can play double duty tiding over Technicians until that book appears.

Thinking on an adventure module, I'd like to see something akin to a part from "Lords of the Sith". Specifically where the rebels get aboard the ISD to sabatoge it. Ideally though, it would be an entire adventure that takes place on a Super Star Destroyer. The sheer size and scope of that sounds awesome to me.