Sign in to follow this  
Kasuvari

Lack of named pilots in Ep7 ships?

One thing I took away from a "behind the scenes" featurette was that George loved naming characters. Whether they were background Jedi, or just people in a bar, they normally got full names and sometimes elaborate backstories (as with Anthony Daniel's "not-inside C3PO" character Dannl Faytonni). No doubt this began as a way to write scripts and put things on toy boxes - but probably continued as a way to control/add to the expanded universe.

What I noticed however was that as of now, and with the exception of Poe - none of the new pilots have names.

Now I understand that to keep the story secret we can't reveal a pilot named Skywalker or Solo - but I'm certain there must be some pretty minor characters will be named at some point, that could have been dropped at this point. Or even a name just made up for the game (like Whisper or Echo). 

Am I the only one feeling let down by "Blue Ace?"

No, you aren't. There have been other threads about this or at least comments in other threads about the set.

This probably isn't FFG's fault but more likely LFL's. I'm guessing they were not given many names and so wanted to stretch what's there between the new core and any potential and oft-rumored expacks.

Honestly, it might just be that FFG doesn't have full access to the scripts, and are only working with whatever material Disney released to them.  Then again, yeah, Lucas and his love of naming literally everyone isn't present anymore, so that legitimately could be a factor.

Though honestly, I actually liked the sound of "Blue Ace" (not to mention his ability looks incredibly fun!).  Kind of gives a bit of a mysterious air to the various "Ace" pilots.

I do look forward to the fact that Greg Grunberg's character is a minor side kind of guy who is a named X-Wing pilot.  Dollars to donuts he's the most expensive character in the almost certainly upcoming T-70 expansion pack.

And then, holy crap, we can play X-Wing with freakin' Greg Grunberg!  

I like it.

It allows me to put whoever I want in the cockpit.

Trouble Maker!

:lol:

Yeah the named guys will be in the forthcoming single expansions. Prolly this month too...

:)

Honestly, not likely. Unless the individual ships were worked on later, I doubt LFL would've given them more information.

Decipher had to create a full Episode I set on a brief outline and some, some character descriptions, along with whatever images LFL provided. I highly doubt the side characters even had names by the time FFG was working on these ships. 

The whole set seems kinda half assed to me.. Except Poe all the aces are just the generic pilot names with "Ace" or "Leader" tagged on to the end, Blue's ability is just Daredevil without the stress and there were only four new upgrade cards with no duplicates. The anticipated "Tech" slot became the first ever upgrade slot to only have one possible thing placed in it and atm it really doesn't look like there are doing to be expansions providing more.

I prefer to rearrange the letters and create my own pilot names!

BLUE ACE= Lue Cabe , an ace pilot noted for his incredible ability to keep a target in his sights, even against more maneuverable ships.

ZETA ACE= Zec Ta'ae , a <someone with higher star wars knowledge enter an appropriate alien race here> who's family was killed during the galactic civil war conflict when he was a child. Found by imperial troops, he was raised along other academy pilots as one of their own. His impressive talent in the cockpit drew attention from Lieutenant Lorrir, who considered him his personal pupil. Zec, though incorporating a similar flying style to Lorrir, secretly despised him, and anxiously awaited the day he died in battle so he no longer needed to live in his shadow.

EPSILON LEADER= .... Ya, the rest of you can have fun with the other two is you wish. :lol:

I like it.

It allows me to put whoever I want in the cockpit.

Trouble Maker!

:lol:

Yeah the named guys will be in the forthcoming single expansions. Prolly this month too...

Honestly, not likely. Unless the individual ships were worked on later, I doubt LFL would've given them more information.

Decipher had to create a full Episode I set on a brief outline and some, some character descriptions, along with whatever images LFL provided. I highly doubt the side characters even had names by the time FFG was working on these ships. 

It will be interesting to see what comes in the next six month... for sure.

But, have names. Just not super awesome names like Talonbane Cobra, the greatest name since sliced bread.

The original TIE fighter pilots all had proper names, to be sure. Remember when everyone was naming their babies 'Howlrunner' and 'Dark Curse'?

The original core and expack X-Wing pilots all had names, at least.

But the point is a **** good one.

BLUE ACE= Lue Cabe , an ace pilot noted for his incredible ability to keep a target in his sights, even against more maneuverable ships.

ZETA ACE= Zec Ta'ae , a <someone with higher star wars knowledge enter an appropriate alien race here> who's family was killed during the galactic civil war conflict when he was a child. Found by imperial troops, he was raised along other academy pilots as one of their own. His impressive talent in the cockpit drew attention from Lieutenant Lorrir, who considered him his personal pupil. Zec, though incorporating a similar flying style to Lorrir, secretly despised him, and anxiously awaited the day he died in battle so he no longer needed to live in his shadow.

EPSILON LEADER= .... Ya, the rest of you can have fun with the other two is you wish. :lol:

You deserve all the points. Gold stars too. Heck, have some cookies!

See, that wasn't difficult. I think the whole community should refer to Blue Ace as Lue from now on. When FFG posts something about Blue Ace, we should all stare blankly, blink a few times and shake our heads "who...?"

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/187286-okay-now-we-can-talk-about-ffgs-plans-for-e7/page-3#entry1777611

They said a lot of stuff. But Sam basically said they did not get any info on the new movie. i recommend listening because a lot of real good info.

So, the guy in charge of FFG's RPGs stated on a 9/04 podcast that, essentially, they had no info on the new movie (he was talking about RPGs, but I presume the same  holds true for miniatures). So there's a chance we still don't get named pilots in the blister packs. Either way, we should know for sure in a couple days. 

You deserve all the points. Gold stars too. Heck, have some cookies!

See, that wasn't difficult. I think the whole community should refer to Blue Ace as Lue from now on. When FFG posts something about Blue Ace, we should all stare blankly, blink a few times and shake our heads "who...?"

Just like Echo and Whisper have fan made backgrounds...

The anticipated "Tech" slot became the first ever upgrade slot to only have one possible thing placed in it and atm it really doesn't look like there are going to be expansions providing more.

Um... what? no.... what would possibly give you the idea that there wont be any more tech upgrades coming out? I actually really like the tech spot because it seems like a good spot to put minor upgrades that will help generics without giving them EPTs which always seemed weird to me.

The anticipated "Tech" slot became the first ever upgrade slot to only have one possible thing placed in it and atm it really doesn't look like there are going to be expansions providing more.

Um... what? no.... what would possibly give you the idea that there wont be any more tech upgrades coming out? I actually really like the tech spot because it seems like a good spot to put minor upgrades that will help generics without giving them EPTs which always seemed weird to me.

It's like a system or modification slot, only they can be more selective about who gets it and how those cards interact. It's a 'do over' without going full on 2.0

And yeah there's gonna be more Tech upgrades coming. This stuff just came out Friday! Chill out!

I do look forward to the fact that Greg Grunberg's character is a minor side kind of guy who is a named X-Wing pilot.  Dollars to donuts he's the most expensive character in the almost certainly upcoming T-70 expansion pack.

And then, holy crap, we can play X-Wing with freakin' Greg Grunberg!

Happy to see that I will not be alone in lobbying for a Greg Grunberg alt art pilot card in a 2016 Tournament Kit!!!

Jim

The whole set seems kinda half assed to me.. Except Poe all the aces are just the generic pilot names with "Ace" or "Leader" tagged on to the end, Blue's ability is just Daredevil without the stress and there were only four new upgrade cards with no duplicates. The anticipated "Tech" slot became the first ever upgrade slot to only have one possible thing placed in it and atm it really doesn't look like there are doing to be expansions providing more.

There was only one torpedo in the original core. Pure anarchy erupted.

There was only one torpedo in the original core. Pure anarchy erupted.

Torpedos were one use only anyway and on top of everything else it almost seems like they were forced to put it out and so just put as little effort as possible in to it.