Sign in to follow this  
EpicBubbleSA

Which would be better a skirmish pack or continued small packs?

Its something that is been on my mind, after the national results that got posted a lot of skirmish decks running tons of royal guards and Imperial officers and these you simply don't get enough of in 1 core box. Given how the game was designed following descent story driven game play it strikes me as a bit awkward to expect people to get more core boxes just to get hold of some Elite version of cards that are almost only going to be used in the skirmish mode. With X-wing the core set was set at a price where getting 2 or 3 was still worth it but here um not so much.

Now we have seen the new storm trooper pack coming out later this month that is given more storm troopers along with a different sculpt and even more elite version of the storm trooper cards but is this enough? Its nice but I would feel more happy paying for a ton of skirmish figures together.

I don't know if there would be another way to do it just would be a nice gesture I suppose. 

Now we have seen the new storm trooper pack coming out later this month that is given more storm troopers along with a different sculpt and even more elite version of the storm trooper cards but is this enough? Its nice but I would feel more happy paying for a ton of skirmish figures together.

The elite stormtrooper card in the wave 2 expansion looks the same as the one in the core set to me.

But to answer your broader question:  yes every non unique minion set in the core set should be available as an expansion set.

When the stormtrooper expansion comes out we will only have 2 units in the core set available: stormtroopers and the AT-ST (converted from the General Weiss expansion).  That is kind of a bummer.

I also agree, for the Skirmish game to be viable every non unique minion set in a boxed expansion should be available as an expansion. Tuskens make great in faction low point units for skum but you only get one regular deployment group in twin shadows...

As is, we get extra things in the ally and villain packs that are campaign-only specific. 

True, but we also get new command cards as well.  And I find that the campaign stuff is unique (mission cards, rewards, etc) so getting more of that stuff wont unbalance a campaign.  Really what I want is something like X-wing where you get models, command cards and deployment (?) cards with the models, the campaign stuff is a bonus.  Dont get me wrong I like it, but I would play more skirmish if I was able to compete better (is what I guess I'm trying to say).

Sorry if I rambled.

I think FFG's model for IA is backwards. A lot of the stuff that you need to buy multiple times comes in boxed expansions and most of the unique stuff comes in blisters that don't make sense to buy more than once.

Edited by WWHSD

If they would have added 2 grey and 1 red Deployment Card (instead of 1 grey and 1 red) for Royal Guards, Trandoshan Hunters, Nexu and the E-Web, everything would be ok.

2 Core Sets and you would be able to play all your models in Skirmish up to 4 times... giving you lots of opportunities.

But the way they made it, you have to buy a 3rd or 4th Core Set for some list (the most efficient list at the moment by the way...). And you buy these Sets just for 4 (!!!) Cards. That's ****** up!

They still had the chance to do some (grey) alternate art cards for this 4 units, but no! They only do elite versions...

Vollie

I think FFG's model for IA is backwards. A lot of the stuff that you need to buy multiple times comes in boxed expansions and most of the unique stuff comes in blisters that don't make sense to buy more than once.

To Quote myself:

I think the reason it seems backwards to you is that you have a standpoint based in skirmish whereas the game was developed with a focus on the campaign. As someone who likely won't play skirmish the way the have it the base game is enough and the add-ons are just that. Using a few tokens doesn't hurt the feel of the campaign; using all the stormtroopers etc would. Having said that I understand the need for ffg to make packs for all the troops in the boxed games in the same way as storm troopers.

Since writing that I've actually reconsidered how high of a priority making these packs should be (now that they've missed the opportunity to do it at the start when they should've). It might be better for them to keep making more new units to try and diversify the meta (maybe).

To Quote myself:

I think the reason it seems backwards to you is that you have a standpoint based in skirmish whereas the game was developed with a focus on the campaign. As someone who likely won't play skirmish the way the have it the base game is enough and the add-ons are just that. Using a few tokens doesn't hurt the feel of the campaign; using all the stormtroopers etc would. Having said that I understand the need for ffg to make packs for all the troops in the boxed games in the same way as storm troopers.

Since writing that I've actually reconsidered how high of a priority making these packs should be (now that they've missed the opportunity to do it at the start when they should've). It might be better for them to keep making more new units to try and diversify the meta (maybe).

I don't think they have missed the opportunity yet, that is why I brought up this thread. Remember when Return to Hoth comes out, there will be 4 player mode. With 2 more players it will mean more figures and more command cards needed. So FFG should try and push the core box figure packs. However if they did a sort of  multiplayer skirmish pack that would feel better on the wallet :P

Some thing like

Star Wars : Imperial Assault - Year 1 super skirmish pack

• 1 grey + 1 red card for Imperial Guard , Nexu, Trandosian hunters, E-Web, Imperial officer, probe droid. Along with extra cards for the twin sun units
  •  More figures 2 guards , 1 nexus, 2 hunters, 1 E-Web, 2 officers, 1 Probe droid, 2 heavy troopers, 2 tuskan raiders.
  •  Additional Command cards, same that came in the base game.
  •  4 new skirmish maps maybe some special map titles maybe even 1 new side mission that includes the bonus titles.

All of this would go such a long way to making an already awesome mode so much better to play both from a tournament perspective and a casual perspective with friends as they wont get Imperial Assault since I have it. Especially since it shouldn't cost much more than the price of a small box expansion.  They could even go on step further and keep the different figure sculpts to that of the character packs that they are already doing with the Storm Troopers.

Heck I would probably get 2 if they had that stuff included just because it feels more rewarding than having to spend a bulk ton on another 2-3 core boxes just to get into some tournaments. Or just so that me and my friend can have some more varied play sessions that don't end up being just rebel vs imperial

Edited by EpicBubbleSA

I think it's great idea, but the problem is FFG's desire is to merge the Campaign and Skirmish groups.  That's why the villain and ally packs have something for both camps.  They want people who love playing the campaign to try out the skirmish, and vis-versa.  Your idea, while great, only benefits the skirmish mode folks.

Skirmish players need to clam down.  I think there is too much "X-Wing Entitlement" going around.

It isn't feasible for FFG to market this game as two separate games.  As it is, it's probably a bigger pain than they would like thanks to having to differentiate deployment cards between campaign and skirmish.  (heroes, as well as the new concept with the droids)

Despite your lack of interest, the game does have a solid Campaign setting and FFG as a business need to meet the demands of both aspects of the game, not cater to either.  This can - and most likely will - be addressed in the form of OP kit prizes and further expansion packs.

As mentioned above, I think there would be a lot less "complaining" and such, if the boxed sets had enough grey cards to correspond with the number of models that came with them.  

I have two cores, as a friend sold me his cheap (although he still plays in our campaign), and I really would like to try out multiple Tusken Raiders, although I'm not too keen on ponying up for another Twin Shadows.  I can see only having one "Elite" card in the box, but I really wish they had given us 3 regular Officers, 2 Guards, ect.

Skirmish players need to clam down.  I think there is too much "X-Wing Entitlement" going around.

It isn't feasible for FFG to market this game as two separate games.  As it is, it's probably a bigger pain than they would like thanks to having to differentiate deployment cards between campaign and skirmish.  (heroes, as well as the new concept with the droids)

Despite your lack of interest, the game does have a solid Campaign setting and FFG as a business need to meet the demands of both aspects of the game, not cater to either.  This can - and most likely will - be addressed in the form of OP kit prizes and further expansion packs.

Please don't assume that because I am asking for a skirmish pack that, I don't care about the campaign. I love the campaign, I am super excited to get my group to start the Twin Suns Campaign. However if there is just me and my friend I would love to play some skirmish map.

Its more than feasible, since FFG is already doing this we already have a Storm Trooper pack coming later this year. Yes its coming with a side mission but so does the big expansion I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Also please don't assume that everyone has access to tournaments. Living in South Africa means most people don't have that much disposable income. There is a small X wing scene and that is about it. FFG isn't going to ship tournament packs out here. 

Edited by EpicBubbleSA

I should start buying cores and reselling the individual pieces, oh wait, Team Covenant already beat me to it.

Their most desired grey cards have been out of stock for as long as I can remember. So please do.

<_<

I think it is inevitable that we'll eventually start seeing tournament formats with tighter restrictions on how many of each model you can bring, whether official or just at the local level.  People buying multiple core sets may be sad, but shouldn't be surprised when it happens.  

So far I've only played Skirmish and the main campaign is way too much for my group to juggle with our schedules, but I picked up Twin Shadows and it is a perfect length for us so I'll be running that soon.  I like that the packs give options for both.  It would be cool to see some more item and weapon cards included as well as they can be used in mini-campaigns like Twin Shadows.  

I should start buying cores and reselling the individual pieces, oh wait, Team Covenant already beat me to it.

Their most desired grey cards have been out of stock for as long as I can remember. So please do.

<_<

Here's some:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Imperial-Assault-2-Imperial-Officer-3-Deployment-Cards-english-/151802440981?hash=item2358216d15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Imperial-Assault-Imperial-Officers-/252013185382?hash=item3aad280966

I'm really surprised that FFG doesn't sell these separately through the website.  I used to be big into Sentinels of the Multiverse, and you could literally buy parts of an expansion without buying the whole expansion.  It was more expensive, but the option was there.

Edited by Boba Rick

Yeah, it would make sense to make all the generics from the big bogeys available separately, which I think they'll probably do in time. What I see no sign of them doing is including enough cards to run all your minis in either grey or red configuration, which is a pain.

Edit: that should say boxes!

Edited by mazz0