Sign in to follow this  
winterdyne

Vader's Squad Repaint

The process was, if you're interested:

Vallejo PU light grey primer airbrushed over the stock paintjob.

Nuln Oil wash.

Drybrush Vallejo Game Colour Dead White. Used a 1/4" nice soft filbert. (Drybrushing works best with a soft, flat brush, not the stiff sh*tty things that GW try to sell you).

Pick out panels and cockpit window including frame in Vallejo Model Colour Black.

Vallejo Game Heavy Bluegrey for the cockpit frame.

Very few spot glazes of VMC Black to sharpen the odd bit that needed it. Highlight a few bits that need direction on it (cockpit ball and the round surface on the back mostly) with glazes of Dead White.

A few streaks of Agrax for colour / subtle weathering

Markings in VMC Flat red.

Engines in VMC Red (Bermillon) (quite a vibrant, light red)

Highlight engines with VMC Amaranth Red and a spot of white (sort of orange), Gun tips in Amaranth Red.

Everything bar the primer, drybrush and wash done with a size 1 pointy brush. :-)

Edited by winterdyne

A big selling point for this game is that everything is prepainted, so I don't have to stress about having a fully painted army/squadron.  Every time I see these repaint threads, I -seriously- think about stripping my minis and repainting them...  Curse you!  :P

These look really awesome!

A big selling point for this game is that everything is prepainted, so I don't have to stress about having a fully painted army/squadron.  Every time I see these repaint threads, I -seriously- think about stripping my minis and repainting them...  Curse you!  :P

These look really awesome!

Don't bother stripping them. Just go to town. :D

Indeed, the stock paint job is nice and thin. Only real need to strip is if theres bits of lint from the oil wash - wipe-down stuck to the model and you're being finnicky about surface finish. Mostly though, just prime straight over and get to it.

One thing: These models have good, sharp detail - this means washes are most definitely your friend - you'll get a better, easier result starting light and working back than undercoating with black.

Edited by winterdyne