Sign in to follow this  
Rauhughes

I really hope FFG release a damage deck upgrade pack...

FFG gave a Q & A at NovaOpen this past weekend. They currently have no plans on releasing stand alone damage decks. The new damage decks will be required for FFG OP starting January 1st. The new damage decks can be used now, just check with your TO.

Is there video or audio of this Q&A available anywhere?

again, I don't get why this is a problem. I would wager good money the number of people with extra, useless damage decks will outnumber the number of people unwilling to buy extra starter sets for various reasons. There are 3rd party sites that let you auction them off to people in need. I checked and saw them already.

In a perfect world you could buy it from FFG. Or I suppose in their perfect world you just buy more starters. This isn't a perfect world, but come on, this isn't difficult...

again, I don't get why this is a problem. I would wager good money the number of people with extra, useless damage decks will outnumber the number of people unwilling to buy extra starter sets for various reasons. There are 3rd party sites that let you auction them off to people in need. I checked and saw them already.

In a perfect world you could buy it from FFG. Or I suppose in their perfect world you just buy more starters. This isn't a perfect world, but come on, this isn't difficult...

This.  Yes the new core set isn't as good of a value for previous players, this isn't a surprise.  Buy a new core set and give all the dice and templates to some new scum only player.  Or auction it.  Keep it as a spare. 

I'll be pretty bummed if they don't release a deck to pick up. I don't want to spend $40 bucks on a deck. I know I know that I get ships and tokens and templates.....I don't want to spend $40 dollars on that, when I'm really fine with where my collection is at. Nor do I think I should buy it and then sell the ships to make extra money or anything absurd like that.

I get that people say, "well this is the first thing FFG has made you buy to keep playing" but that doesn't mean it's the right decision. I also have trouble believing, though I suppose it could be true, that FFG is not allowed for whatever reason to make/sell a deck on its own.

I've never liked the fact that for all of their games you are required to buy a starter to play. Armada and Imp. Assault are the same way and I truly believe it's the wrong choice. 

I'll be pretty bummed if they don't release a deck to pick up. I don't want to spend $40 bucks on a deck. I know I know that I get ships and tokens and templates.....I don't want to spend $40 dollars on that, when I'm really fine with where my collection is at. Nor do I think I should buy it and then sell the ships to make extra money or anything absurd like that.

I get that people say, "well this is the first thing FFG has made you buy to keep playing" but that doesn't mean it's the right decision. I also have trouble believing, though I suppose it could be true, that FFG is not allowed for whatever reason to make/sell a deck on its own.

I've never liked the fact that for all of their games you are required to buy a starter to play. Armada and Imp. Assault are the same way and I truly believe it's the wrong choice. 

Even if FFG does nothing to make decks available separately, I'll be surprised if you can't find damage decks for $10 or less on the secondary market.

Imperial Assault already requires tournament players to purchase additional expansions even if they don't intend to use any models or upgrades from those expansions, so it's not like there isn't a precedent for this in other FFG Star Wars games. 

You don't have to pay $40, you can buy just the damage cards off ebay for around $10 or buy the core set off miniature market or similar online retailers for around $26.

I too hope FFG will release the damage deck in a separate pack.

I will get one of the Force Awakens starter sets but I would like to have a few sets of the damage decks but I front see me wanting yet more ties.

And I don't fly Rebel so that JJ-WING is no use to me.

Come on FFG, do the job!

I love when people call it a JJ-wing shows how ignorant they are. That is the exact design from the early Ralph McQuarrie stuff. So if you are going to give it a slang at least credit the person that actually designed it.
I totally agree. The Next wing is a fantastic ship. FO ties are solid ships. The new asteroids are reeeeally different. And the damage deck removed all silver bullets and clarified text.

Bad players will be bad players and not see this expansion/new core is HUGE breath of fresh air. No matter what faction you roll, items included will be a wonderful asset.

I'm willing to bet my entire x-wing collection on a few things:

1: The new deck will be in the old core sets soon

2: The old deck will be illegal at FFG sectioned events next year

3: The new deck will given out and required at worlds

I'm very intrigued by your comments. How does this box provide a breath of fresh air for me as a Scum player (aside from asteroids and a damage deck)? What would you incorporate into a Scum squad?

Or is it a breath of fresh air because I get the awesome privilege of flying against these cool ships when other people bring them to the shop? [<--Sarcasm] I think this box is super cool. I think it's great for the game. I'm just having trouble justifying this purchase as a Scum player and since you seem to think it does wonders for all factions, I just want to hear your supporting evidence for that argument.

-wired works great with quite a few of your ships and crew

-the new damage deck got rid of the hwk and y-wings bane, "munitions' failure"

-the 2 super small rocks help the IG, by opening up more for a hyper maneuverable large based ship.

-injured pilot is gone, all players can rejoice this.

-blinded pilot helps out ships that can't fire out of arc, which a lot if your better ships can't do.

And as a side note not for the scum buyer, but the fact that it adds 2 good ships, that are not PWTs, which are a hard counter to most Scum lists.

You're right. These are all great things. But aside from Wired, everything you listed is from the damage deck or asteroids, which I already said I would like to have, but don't feel they are worth $40 to me. So I still feel like I'll wait on this. If by next tournament season I still feel like competing, I'll pick up the new core. Until then, I think I'll spend money on more Scum ships.