Sign in to follow this  
Rauhughes

I really hope FFG release a damage deck upgrade pack...

Sure there are ways around it but it just seems poor form with no real explanation as to why they wouldn't make one available. I mean, we can buy extra dice without resorting to buying a new core so why not the damage deck.

I too hope FFG will release the damage deck in a separate pack.

I will get one of the Force Awakens starter sets but I would like to have a few sets of the damage decks but I front see me wanting yet more ties.

And I don't fly Rebel so that JJ-WING is no use to me.

Come on FFG, do the job!

I love when people call it a JJ-wing shows how ignorant they are. That is the exact design from the early Ralph McQuarrie stuff. So if you are going to give it a slang at least credit the person that actually designed it.
I totally agree. The Next wing is a fantastic ship. FO ties are solid ships. The new asteroids are reeeeally different. And the damage deck removed all silver bullets and clarified text.

Bad players will be bad players and not see this expansion/new core is HUGE breath of fresh air. No matter what faction you roll, items included will be a wonderful asset.

I'm willing to bet my entire x-wing collection on a few things:

1: The new deck will be in the old core sets soon

2: The old deck will be illegal at FFG sectioned events next year

3: The new deck will given out and required at worlds

I'm very intrigued by your comments. How does this box provide a breath of fresh air for me as a Scum player (aside from asteroids and a damage deck)? What would you incorporate into a Scum squad?

Or is it a breath of fresh air because I get the awesome privilege of flying against these cool ships when other people bring them to the shop? [<--Sarcasm] I think this box is super cool. I think it's great for the game. I'm just having trouble justifying this purchase as a Scum player and since you seem to think it does wonders for all factions, I just want to hear your supporting evidence for that argument.

-wired works great with quite a few of your ships and crew

-the new damage deck got rid of the hwk and y-wings bane, "munitions' failure"

-the 2 super small rocks help the IG, by opening up more for a hyper maneuverable large based ship.

-injured pilot is gone, all players can rejoice this.

-blinded pilot helps out ships that can't fire out of arc, which a lot if your better ships can't do.

And as a side note not for the scum buyer, but the fact that it adds 2 good ships, that are not PWTs, which are a hard counter to most Scum lists.

I don't think FFG will release it. 

Also you're buying a core set for £25 and getting 3 ships which 'should' be £30. 

So unless you've not absolutely no interest in buying/owning the new T-70 and the TIE F/O then the damage deck doesn't 'cost' you anything at all. 

Except some of us do have no interest in the ships at all.

So £25 for a deck of damage cards is unacceptable.

Not going to happen.  They have already stated that they won't release anything without ships.  Just give up on this idea. 

One possibility would be big blister or large base expansions, preferably a scum one, because exclusive scum players have no opportunity to get the deck. It still is a strech, though.

[looks at all the calls for Core Set completion sets for the LCGs]

[sees how no such product has ever been made]

While it is certainly possible, I would not be holding my breath. And looking at how much some of their print on demand packs of cards go, I think I would prefer just paying the extra $30 for ships. 

I don't think FFG will release it. 

Also you're buying a core set for £25 and getting 3 ships which 'should' be £30. 

So unless you've not absolutely no interest in buying/owning the new T-70 and the TIE F/O then the damage deck doesn't 'cost' you anything at all.

Except some of us do have no interest in the ships at all.

So £25 for a deck of damage cards is unacceptable.

I mean what is unacceptable is entirely subjective. To me the fact that some people exclusively play 1 faction and vehemently ignore the other 2 is unacceptable.

Not going to happen.  They have already stated that they won't release anything without ships.  Just give up on this idea. 

One possibility would be big blister or large base expansions, preferably a scum one, because exclusive scum players have no opportunity to get the deck. It still is a strech, though.

But thats the situation as is anyway.

If you chose to get into the game and only play scum you've *always* had to buy a core set with three ships you can't use.

Put it this way, current damage decks were about £3 on ebay...  i cant see the new ones being much more once people start splitting off the stuff they dont need from multiple core sets.

When i started playing i was going to play exclusively rebel, and A wings at that...   I grudgingly bought a core set because there was no 'rules/templates' only expansion and planned to sell the tie fighters or swap them.. i then decided to get a small imperial 100 point force to introduce friends to the game and well...   you can see from my sig file how that ended up but it the marketing strategy of the system isnt it.

its how they sell stuff.

You can play with just certain sets but you often end up buying something you dont really love for a good upgrade

None of the "old starter will be updated " arguments help anyone that already have multiples and don't want any more. I spend an awful lot of money on "toys" but I draw the line at £30 just for a damage deck where everything else in the box is of little use to me. Not to mention the fact that I'd need more than one deck :/

The backs are different anyway, so it is the whole deck or nothing.

I'd be more than happy just buying the whole deck, without having to buy the new core set.

Same the issue isn't using the deck it's purely having to buy a set I neither want or need.

I don't think it's legal reasons for no card-only packs, but economic ones. Printing on card stock is expensive for one, and they'd risk having ship packs sit unsold as people opted for card packs instead.

I do think a print on demand option for the new damage deck might be a thing though.

I can get standard size custom cards printed for like $0.10 a piece. Smaller cards should be cheaper. Supposedly FFG has the facilities to print cards all on their own, making it even cheaper. No economic excuses.

None of the "old starter will be updated " arguments help anyone that already have multiples and don't want any more. I spend an awful lot of money on "toys" but I draw the line at £30 just for a damage deck where everything else in the box is of little use to me. Not to mention the fact that I'd need more than one deck :/

Right now, you don't HAVE to have the new damage deck.  The new rule book says if you don't have the new deck, but have the old one, then that's fine.  If you don't play with tournament rules, you only need 1 deck to play the game.  There is speculation that they will require you to have the new deck for tournaments, but that's pure speculation.  Even if that's so, you can probably find a deck online for sale or through someone you know.  I think someone stated that they saw some on ebay for $5.  Look for someone local that might sell you one if they get 2 Core Sets.

Why would you need more than one deck?  Only if you buy for two (your family member?) and you go to tournaments do you need to worry about it. 

I play 3 player games but I set it up so we only use 1 damage deck which you only draw from when you are dealt a crit or told to filp a card faceup. There's a few ways to do this, you can use tokens to represent damage, or you can print out a small card with check boxes for each ship you own. Even though I own more than 1 damage deck I find this a better solution for casual games because it helps reduce set up/clean up time and requires less table space.

I play 3 player games but I set it up so we only use 1 damage deck which you only draw from when you are dealt a crit or told to filp a card faceup. There's a few ways to do this, you can use tokens to represent damage, or you can print out a small card with check boxes for each ship you own. Even though I own more than 1 damage deck I find this a better solution for casual games because it helps reduce set up/clean up time and requires less table space.

If you only play 3 player games, then just use the old deck.  What's the issue.  If you read the new rules it says only use the new damage deck if you own it.  Otherwise, use the old one. 

If you only play 3 player games, then just use the old deck.  What's the issue.  If you read the new rules it says only use the new damage deck if you own it.  Otherwise, use the old one. 

If you only play 3 player games you are already doing your own thing. Why does the existence of a new deck even matter to you?

I can get standard size custom cards printed for like $0.10 a piece. Smaller cards should be cheaper. Supposedly FFG has the facilities to print cards all on their own, making it even cheaper. No economic excuses.

Have you actually looked at their print on demand stuff? 

A Netrunner Draft Starter is 13 cards. $5. The actual stuff you draft from is $10, for 40 cards. 

And smaller cards are not necessarily cheaper. Because, namely, you have to have to cut the sheets differently. And then there is the packaging, which is going to add to the cost. Can't just slap the damage deck into their new LCG packages. 

It is one thing to say you want a seperate damage deck. But, just how many are going to be willing to pay $7-10 for it. 

What about more core sets?  They currently list the original and the "The Force Awakens which are basically beginner sets.  (Assuming all the core sets would have a full set of templates and damage cards.) 

Add three more core sets that are each dedicated to one faction with three basic ships; Rebel/Resistance, Imperial/First Order, and Scum.

Everyone is forgetting the mine field that comes with this set! Fun times in custom games!

Anyway, why not combine the dice-sold-separately with the damage deck? Actually, a dice-deck-rocks set would be an instant best seller. And it's not cardboard only.

And I'm still waiting for my Senators Shuttle and escape pod minis (unless you go to Mel's).

If you only play 3 player games you are already doing your own thing. Why does the existence of a new deck even matter to you?

You guys realize I'm commenting on the OP's first post regarding 3 player games, right. I'm just giving him options other than buying 2 extra core set for the damage decks if he wants to use the new one.

FFG gave a Q & A at NovaOpen this past weekend. They currently have no plans on releasing stand alone damage decks. The new damage decks will be required for FFG OP starting January 1st. The new damage decks can be used now, just check with your TO.