Sign in to follow this  
mazz0

What a beautiful picture

Considering they were working on this just as JJ was finishing up filming, no, they did not see the film. The fact that Poe's squadron isn't represented or his X-wing represented in the art, suggests FFG got very bare bones info. 

I think its odd how several of the new cards, or at least a good portion of them are in-atmosphere scenes/images. When the game is meant to be set in space, it just seems a bit odd. Which had me thinking a lot of the battles in the new film may take place in atmosphere as well, which is evident by the falcon being chased by tie fighters in the trailers.

I think its odd how several of the new cards, or at least a good portion of them are in-atmosphere scenes/images. When the game is meant to be set in space, it just seems a bit odd. Which had me thinking a lot of the battles in the new film may take place in atmosphere as well, which is evident by the falcon being chased by tie fighters in the trailers.

I suspect that if the battles in the movie are not all in atmosphere, the ones in space will be against the backdrop of a Nebula...

Black X-Wings and Black TIE's just don't look great against a black starfield background...

Considering they were working on this just as JJ was finishing up filming, no, they did not see the film. The fact that Poe's squadron isn't represented or his X-wing represented in the art, suggests FFG got very bare bones info. 

I think that we'll see both the black and orange X-Wings and the grey and blue (like the ones in the Starter) in the movie. 

My guess is that the T-70 X-Wing expansions will have the black and orange paint scheme (although I would have expected Poe Dameron to come with a black and orange - maybe they're going to release other named pilots in the X-Wing expansion?). And that the TIE/fo expansion will be the black and red that we've seen on the "special forces" TIE models.

Maybe they didn't want the similar-ish color scheme black and red TIEs to ship with black and orange X-wings? 

I think that we'll see both the black and orange X-Wings and the grey and blue (like the ones in the Starter) in the movie. 

My guess is that the T-70 X-Wing expansions will have the black and orange paint scheme (although I would have expected Poe Dameron to come with a black and orange - maybe they're going to release other named pilots in the X-Wing expansion?). And that the TIE/fo expansion will be the black and red that we've seen on the "special forces" TIE models.

Maybe they didn't want the similar-ish color scheme black and red TIEs to ship with black and orange X-wings? 

I was hoping the same thing until someone pointed out that given the timeline of filming and when FFG would have been given designs, it's likely they didn't even know Poe Dameron had a special color X-wing when they were making these expansions, so it's likely the expansion just has another blue and grey one.

Could be a based off of concept art they were given

That would be my guess. We've seen brief shots of X-Wings skimming over water, and this appears to be a chase in a cave on a shore. Alternatively, the artist remembered that scene from the trailer and was inspired. 

Many normal pilot art cards depict atmospheric battles too.  3 k-wing pilots, 1 Punisher, 1 YV-666, 2 ties, 5 x-wings, 3 Yt-1300 pilots, 2 firespray pilots, 3 HWK, 2 tie bomber pilots, 3 Lambda shuttles, 3 headhunters, 1 y-wing, and 5 interceptors.

I was hoping the same thing until someone pointed out that given the timeline of filming and when FFG would have been given designs, it's likely they didn't even know Poe Dameron had a special color X-wing when they were making these expansions, so it's likely the expansion just has another blue and grey one.

But at the same time, LEGO made a black and orange T-70 X-Wing. And so did Revell. And Hasbro has both the blue/grey and orange/black X-Wings available as Micro Machines. 

I don't see FFG leaving the black and orange X-Wings out - although it may mean a, "Aces of The Force Awakens," pack. 

That being said, while I really like the black and red TIEs, and I like black space ships in general, I think I like the blue/grey T-70s better than the orange/black ones - blue and dark grey or black would be most bester, IMHO. Could even call it, "Bruiser Squadron." (I also hope we get some red and grey homages to the original trilogy's T-65s. Maybe Luke will have a red T-70 with five stripes on the wings?)

Edited by Vigil

Also: I think that FFG may have intentionally chosen to do the black/orange X-Wing separately because: 

A- I'm guessing everyone is going to want a black/orange X-Wing after seeing the movie (seems to be the way Revell and LEGO are playing it), so if you want to play with a black/orange X-Wing you're going to have to buy the T-70 Expansion. 

B- Poe Dameron is the only named X-Wing pilot we know of, so it makes sense that he would be in the starter, even if the T-70 is in the wrong livery. 

I may be wrong, time will tell. 

The OP inspired me to look at the picture again. Unfortunately, it's so small. On a whim, I decided to check the showcase page and, sure enough, they've updated it with pictures from the new The Force Awakens core set. Neat!

Awesome!  I didn't know that page existed!

I might use that big version as a wallpaper...

Also: I think that FFG may have intentionally chosen to do the black/orange X-Wing separately because: 

A- I'm guessing everyone is going to want a black/orange X-Wing after seeing the movie (seems to be the way Revell and LEGO are playing it), so if you want to play with a black/orange X-Wing you're going to have to buy the T-70 Expansion. 

B- Poe Dameron is the only named X-Wing pilot we know of, so it makes sense that he would be in the starter, even if the T-70 is in the wrong livery. 

I may be wrong, time will tell. 

I'm expecting the same livery for the expansion pack.  People will buy several of those, they don't want them all in a supposed to be unique colour scheme.

Future Aces pack could be an option, but then it wouldn't come with the pilot card...

Might just be a paint it yourself job!

Zerotc these are awesome.  Thanks.

Do you know how to get any of these?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/31/lying-in-wait/
The one of the Gozanti cruiser in orbit with TIEs attached.

Also any of these:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/6/obliterate-your-enemies/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/29/slam-and-bomb/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/10/interceptors-and-autothrusters/

These make awesome wall paper.

Thanks again.

I do think that the majority of the ship fighting in TFA is going to be very close to the surface of planets, there's a little comment about the T-70 having improved atmospheric flight engines or such on the T-70 preview page.

Hmm, I wonder if we'll see some last combat against turrets or ATATs?

Of course people have been talking about this for some time.

But at the same time, LEGO made a black and orange T-70 X-Wing. And so did Revell. And Hasbro has both the blue/grey and orange/black X-Wings available as Micro Machines. 

I don't see FFG leaving the black and orange X-Wings out - although it may mean a, "Aces of The Force Awakens," pack. 

They are probably much, much higher on the licensee food chain.